Which Camping Quilt?

Specifically for cycle touring subjects & questions
Mark S

Which Camping Quilt?

Post by Mark S »

Can anyone recommend a lightweight camping quilt that’s available in the UK, mainly for summer usage. Thanks.
andrew_s

Re: Which Camping Quilt?

Post by andrew_s »

I use a Cumulus Comforter
https://backcountry.scot/product/cumulu ... rter-m350/, or the L430 for the taller.

It's got tie loops along the sides for the supplied elastics if you want to hold it in place, but I prefer to be able to stick out a foot or leg, so I usually just use it as a plain quilt, occasionally on the bed at home as an alternative to putting the heating on.
PH

Post by PH »

I've had mine for sixteen years, there wasn't a lot of choice in the UK and I imported a Jacks R Better from the US. Not a recommendation, not because I haven't been thoroughly pleased with it, but there's so much choice now you'll find something here.
So, why am I posting? Two things, first to say buy a good one and it ought to last a lifetime, even if it seems like silly money at the time. Secondly, if I was buying now, I'd look for hydrophobic down for the reassurance that I could risk it getting a bit wet - I've been lucky never to have got mine soaked, but it's taken a bit of effort to keep that luck.
tatanab

Post by tatanab »

I have a Thermarest offering. These days they seem to be rated to a lower temperature than mine which is 35. I've probably been using them for 10 years now (on my second). I changed to the larger sized one for a bit more tucking in.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

I have DDHammocks one. Seems ok BUT I find its lightweight very disconcerting
Last edited by mercalia on 27 May 2020, 1:03pm, edited 1 time in total.
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

I find its lightweight very disconcerting
I know what you mean! It feels like there's something missing.
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
NickWi

Post by NickWi »

One of my sleeping bags is a Sea to Summit BC1 and it's designed so the whole top half can be zipped off to create a quilt. The BC bit stands for base camp and as such the bag is a volumous mummy shape so it's got enough length & width to create a quilt and the idea wouldn't work on a regular mummy shaped bag, but nonetheless it's an interesting option.

And yes, I also find the whole light weight feeling a bit odd no matter how warm the sleeping bag or duvet is. At home the 10.5 tog quilt is all snug, conforting and something you can both feel the weight of and snuggle up under on cold night, something the 4.5tog summer one never gives me.
Mark S

Post by Mark S »

Thanks for all the comments and advice. The Cumulus looks good, on the other hand hydrophobic down seems like a sensible option. Tatanab, how do you find the footbox on the Thermarest, is it restrictive in any way?
tatanab

Post by tatanab »

Mark S wrote: how do you find the footbox on the Thermarest, is it restrictive in any way?
Not at all. It is quite wide, especially in the large quilt. It is not restrictive in the way the foot of a mummy shape might be, and of course you can kick your feet out the side if wanted.
Mark S

Post by Mark S »

tatanab wrote:
Mark S wrote: how do you find the footbox on the Thermarest, is it restrictive in any way?
Not at all. It is quite wide, especially in the large quilt. It is not restrictive in the way the foot of a mummy shape might be, and of course you can kick your feet out the side if wanted.

Thanks for that, sounds like one of those will do the job.
Jeff31

Post by Jeff31 »

If you prefer to use synthetic insulation then Valley and Peak make custom quilts, not cheap but I am pleased with mine.
Richard D

Post by Richard D »

I bought one of these:
https://a.aliexpress.com/_dUfpvVt

I’m not sure if I’d let it get anywhere near a zero degree night, but it was plenty warm enough when I used it in the back garden over Easter.
fatladontour

Post by fatladontour »

i have one by PHD best damn thing i ever bought , it wasn't cheap but it is toasty .

https://www.phdesigns.co.uk/single-ultra-down-quilt
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

fatladontour wrote:i have one by PHD best damn thing i ever bought , it wasn't cheap but it is toasty .

https://www.phdesigns.co.uk/single-ultra-down-quilt

should be at that price.
sizbut

Post by sizbut »

I bought one from Alpkit. Bit pricey but very nice. Poppers and drawstring allow it to act as a light sleeping bag. The drawstring on its own makes a quilt shape that stays over the end of the sleeping bag rather than slipping off (for those of use who are constantly rolling over in their sleep).