New scam(s)

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
fausto copy

New scam(s)

Post by fausto copy »

Just a warning in case you get one of these.

I got an email seemingly from Amazon this morning, saying they'd had an attempted transaction from a different device than the one I normally use.
What made it suspicious to start with was that it was sent to a different email than the one I use for them.

There's a link to connect to with word Amazon, but when I glanced at the senders email address at the top of the screen, it came from Amaozn.co.uk

Go safely,
fausto
Last edited by Graham on 28 May 2020, 11:32am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Title
millimole

Re: New email scam

Post by millimole »

Mrs M had a similarly worded text yesterday which linked to a very convincing HSBC online banking spoof. It even had an HSBC-ish Web address.
She hasn't got an HSBC account.
The links on the 'top bar' of the Web page didn't work, which was the real giveaway.
Reported to Action Fraud.
Leicester; Riding my Hetchins since 1971; Day rides on my Dawes; Going to the shops on a Decathlon Hoprider
Redvee

Post by Redvee »

Most companies will have an email address to forward such emails to, usually phishing@xxxx
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

I get lots claiming to be a paypal account issue. They aint very bright as the sender is always the same as is the subject line. Are they trying to bore me into opening the email?
RickH

Post by RickH »

A good friend of mine posted this on Facebook recently

my friend wrote:My techie friends will like this one.

I received what I'm pretty sure was a Phishing email, allegedly from PayPal. It was pretty well put together, so I thought, "I should report this".

I go on the PayPal web site, and in the help section, it says to forward suspicious emails like this to "spoof@paypal.com".

I do just that, and get an Undeliverable message. I look at the diagnostics, and it says:
"Remote Server returned '550 5.7.520 Message blocked because it contains content identified as spam."
No [FFE], Sherlock!

They have a spam filter applied to their spam reporting email address. Well played, PayPal! (my bold)
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

not an email scam but a scam nevertheless

A device costing more than £300 promises to protect your family from 5G, using ground-breaking quantum technology

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-52810220
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

mercalia wrote:not an email scam but a scam nevertheless

A device costing more than £300 promises to protect your family from 5G, using ground-breaking quantum technology

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-52810220

Somehow it seems right that it is a Glastonbury councillor who has been taken in by this woo. See Ben Goldacre's blog for more examples ofwoo.
Last edited by Mike Sales on 28 May 2020, 10:45am, edited 1 time in total.
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

I like the images selling it

looks like might be useful to protect from some thing else.... maybe tell Trump the Chump?
mercalia

Re: New scam(s)

Post by mercalia »

Account Password Scams

just had a new email scam claiming to be from Microsoft offering me a code to change the password of my account. They send it to an associated verification source often another email or phone number or both. In my case they guessed an email address that might be mine and sent it there ( but not the other alternatives, why I knew it was fake). Just as well I dont use that as part of my verification system. so they are getting really clever trying to find out information ( to sell or exploit)
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

Just had a strange land line call in a robotic female voice claiming to be BT internet services claiming my connection had been compromised and to press button 1. As I dont have BT I didnt and hung up. All very strange? I wonder what pressing "1" would have done

https://community.bt.com/t5/Landline/Phone-calls-regarding-Internet-being-quot-compromised-quot/td-p/1840071/page/2
Pastychomper

Post by Pastychomper »

mercalia wrote:Just had a strange land line call in a robotic female voice claiming to be BT internet services claiming my connection had been compromised and to press button 1. As I dont have BT I didnt and hung up. All very strange? I wonder what pressing "1" would have done

https://community.bt.com/t5/Landline/Phone-calls-regarding-Internet-being-quot-compromised-quot/td-p/1840071/page/2

We get these. There is a rumour that pressing 1 will connect you to a premium line and quietly reverse the charges as it does so, but I don't think that's possible at the moment. More likely it would start another script asking for some account details, and add you to a list of people who are willing to respond to 'phone scams.
Everyone's ghast should get a good flabbering now and then.
--Ole Boot
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

mercalia wrote:not an email scam but a scam nevertheless...
Bloke was interviewed somewhere recently and was remarkably unperterbed... he explained patiently that all the clever stuff was in fact contained in the sticker that he puts on the 50 cent thumb stick. :lol: What a nice man - It's great we can all get protection from the same ol' energy waves they used to use in 4G,3G, 2G and even in the radio, I think!! (Although for goodness sake don't quote me - I failed my General Science O level :oops: )
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

same robotic ( male) voice happened again to me just an hour ago.
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

Not new - but ask yourself this question: If Facebook paid $19billion - that's BILLION in case you missed it... for WhatsApp and it's "free to use", why did Facebook buy it - what made it worth billions of dollars to the new owners?? It's not immediately onbvious, is it? Or to rephrase the Q. there's 2 players I know of...
One - Facebook - we'll call them The Owners
Two - The Users - that may include a few of us.
So, if The Owners make money out of WhatsApp (and why else would they want it?), how exactly do they manage it? There's only one other player (no advertisers) and that's The Users. What is it about us, as indiviuduals, that's worth paying nineteen billion dollars to get hold of?
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
Pastychomper

Post by Pastychomper »

simonineaston wrote:Not new - but ask yourself this question: If Facebook paid $19billion - that's BILLION in case you missed it... for WhatsApp and it's "free to use", why did Facebook buy it - what made it worth billions of dollars to the new owners?? It's not immediately onbvious, is it? Or to rephrase the Q. there's 2 players I know of...
One - Facebook - we'll call them The Owners
Two - The Users - that may include a few of us.
So, if The Owners make money out of WhatsApp (and why else would they want it?), how exactly do they manage it? There's only one other player (no advertisers) and that's The Users. What is it about us, as indiviuduals, that's worth paying nineteen billion dollars to get hold of?

I think there's a clue in Whatsapp's terms and conditions. They specify that the phone app must have access to the phone's contact list, and that the list will be regularly copied to the owners' servers to check which of the contacts are also using Whatsapp, to make it easy to connect. They do not specify whether the uploaded contact list will be used for any other purpose, such as augmenting Facebook's list of connections or adding to Facebook's infamous shadow accounts.

I was persuaded by a friend to install Whatsapp, and there's no denying it's a good service. I wasn't about to ask everyone in my 'phone's list for permission to pass on their number, so I installed it in a virtual machine with a very short contact list.
Everyone's ghast should get a good flabbering now and then.
--Ole Boot