Police / video evidence

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Thornberg

Police / video evidence

Post by Thornberg »

A tractor driver recently forced me off the road, so I reported it to Gloucestershire Police using their online facility. I followed it up later with an email to see if any action had been taken but they said the incident had been 'noted' which I can't say I found very reassuring. They also said that video footage would have been useful. I am concerned that some forces may be over relying on video evidence which in most cases won't exist.
Peter F

Re: Police / video evidence

Post by Peter F »

With all due respect, without any evidence what action do you expect the Police to take?
If there are other independent reports then they may well have a word, but as it stands you could just have a problem with him.and be trying to get him into trouble.
hemo

Post by hemo »

Sadly yes without evidence or witnesses it is one persons word against another's, the tractor driver could simply claim/say it was a SMIDSY incident.
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

Long before days of on bike cameras etc., I was forced to a stop and the driver was out of the car in a flash and had his hands around my neck...
(I had cussed him for cutting me up a few mins earlier), I was left shaking with a mix of fear and anger... reported to the police but again without evidence (winter I had a scarf so not even any bruising) there was little they could do... though they do haul him for questioning and think he got the idea that abusing young women in dark lanes was probably not advisable in future....

So sorry without evidence or witnesses you are not going to get very far...
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
ossie

Post by ossie »

Had one bouncing down the road today with the large shovel bit ready to decapitate me, he slowed slightly but my experience is most tractor drivers don't give a stuff and would quite happily force a cyclist off the road . This is usually by Intimidation when behind you (revving the hell out of said tractor) simply not slowing, moving or giving an inch when approaching on narrow roads.
atlas_shrugged

Post by atlas_shrugged »

Cambs, Herts, Beds police on-record as ignoring video evidence from cyclists e.g. of close passes.
NUKe

Post by NUKe »

It is very difficult to get a prosecution from a close pass, rom a cyclists videos as they don’t really show the distance, so even junior barrister can argue against them.
NUKe

Post by mjr »

NUKe wrote:It is very difficult to get a prosecution from a close pass, rom a cyclists videos as they don’t really show the distance, so even junior barrister can argue against them.

But they are still excellent for proving illegal "brake test" attacks, road rage, left hooks, right crosses and jumping stop lines, among others.

And a camera means I don't have to stop to take pictures of things needing repair, or things that might not photo well.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

NUKe wrote:It is very difficult to get a prosecution from a close pass, rom a cyclists videos as they don’t really show the distance, so even junior barrister can argue against them.

Indeed my onboard camera rarely shows just how close the pass was, but my other half often rides behind and his onboard camera is better at showing a close pass on those in front... trouble is by the time my camera records a vehicle it is already passing and pulling in so gives a different perspective.....
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
hamster

Post by hamster »

ossie wrote:Had one bouncing down the road today with the large shovel bit ready to decapitate me, he slowed slightly but my experience is most tractor drivers don't give a stuff and would quite happily force a cyclist off the road . This is usually by Intimidation when behind you (revving the hell out of said tractor) simply not slowing, moving or giving an inch when approaching on narrow roads.

I can't say that's my experience. Clearly Hampshire / Dorset farmers are a more relaxed breed.
Grandad

Post by Grandad »

I can't say that's my experience. Clearly Hampshire / Dorset farmers are a more relaxed breed.

Ditto for my part of Kent.
andrewwillans49

Post by andrewwillans49 »

When cycling around the Hertfordshire lanes I always pull over as soon as convenient for me and let traffic pass. Usually get a friendly wave or toot. Can't say I get riled with bad motorists, part of life.
I've been cycling for 54 years and instinctively know my body is vulnerable to motorised traffic so ride defensively.
De Sisti

Post by De Sisti »

ossie wrote:Had one bouncing down the road today with the large shovel bit ready to decapitate me, he slowed slightly but my experience is most tractor drivers don't give a stuff and would quite happily force a cyclist off the road . This is usually by Intimidation when behind you (revving the hell out of said tractor) simply not slowing, moving or giving an inch when approaching on narrow roads.

I've not experienced that from farmers in Gloucestershire, and I agree with what @andrewwillians posted.
ossie

Post by ossie »

hamster wrote:

I live in Dorset. My understanding is that many of these tractor drivers are contracted out and have little empathy with the area they work.

All of my very close near misses in the last few years have been tractor drivers . The area around the Drax estate up to Blandford is a complete nightmare, these guys think they own the road.
Jamesh

Post by Jamesh »

I was on Exmoor a year or two back I was stopped opposite this farm at I guess 7am. And 20 or so tractors come racing out the yard at great neck speed. I can only assume they were contracting and all had the same clocking in time.

Glad I was stationary rather than cycling when then passed!

Cheers James