Space 'X'

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
cycleruk

Space 'X'

Post by cycleruk »

Just watched the live (on the PC) launch of the Space X rocket on its way to the ISS. The first stage came back to earth to land on a ship so that it can be used again. 9 years since the USA last sent men up with this being the first manned launch by a private company. Flawless take-off and flight so far. Connects to the ISS on Sunday morning.
You'll never know if you don't try it.
merseymouth

Re: Space 'X'

Post by merseymouth »

Hope they comply fully with social distancing rules? Don't want a space variant form of Covid19! :roll: MM
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

merseymouth wrote:Hope they comply fully with social distancing rules? Don't want a space variant form of Covid19! :roll: MM

They have, as ever, been in quarantine for over two weeks.

They do try rather hard not to let bugs up there!
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

[XAP]Bob wrote:They have, as ever, been in quarantine for over two weeks.

I was watching an interview with an astronaut who was talking about how 'rank' it was up there.
Confined spaces, recycled air, smelly humans with their obnoxious digestive systems and little in the way of personal grooming products.
Graham

Post by Graham »

Why are there no environmental audits on these privateering maniacs ??
rjb

Post by rjb »

kwackers wrote:

I was watching an interview with an astronaut who was talking about how 'rank' it was up there.
Confined spaces, recycled air, smelly humans with their obnoxious digestive systems and little in the way of personal grooming products.

And no hairdresser :shock:
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway X2, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
Marcus Aurelius

Post by Marcus Aurelius »

Space X use gyros which utilise the Fiber optic gyros which contain the optical fibers I make. It’s always nice to see the fruits of my labours doing fun stuff.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

kwackers wrote:

But not a lot in the way of disease causing microorganisms
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
cycleruk

Post by cycleruk »

They have docked and were waiting while checks for leaks before being allowed to open the hatch. I wonder where they went for a leak on the way up. :roll:
I wonder which GPS they used for navigation.? (Garmin or Wahoo!) :wink:
You'll never know if you don't try it.
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

[XAP]Bob wrote:
kwackers wrote:

But not a lot in the way of disease causing microorganisms

I wasn't actually suggesting there was - just adding to the 'atmosphere'.
iandriver

Post by iandriver »

[XAP]Bob wrote:
merseymouth wrote:Hope they comply fully with social distancing rules? Don't want a space variant form of Covid19! :roll: MM

They have, as ever, been in quarantine for over two weeks.

Perhaps they have to keep the space suits on for two weeks. Ultimate PPE.
Supporter of the A10 corridor cycling campaign serving Royston to Cambridge http://a10corridorcycle.com. Never knew gardening secateurs were an essential part of the on bike tool kit until I took up campaigning.....
Stradageek

Post by Stradageek »

cycleruk wrote:Just watched the live (on the PC) launch of the Space X rocket on its way to the ISS. The first stage came back to earth to land on a ship so that it can be used again. 9 years since the USA last sent men up with this being the first manned launch by a private company. Flawless take-off and flight so far. Connects to the ISS on Sunday morning.

I'm not about to be impressed by the wonders of private enterprise. SpaceX is just NASA re-branded, same engineers and all tax payer funded. Except Elon Musk gets a cut :(
PDQ Mobile

Post by PDQ Mobile »

Is there anyone on here that thinks a man will ever walk on Mars- and come back.
Without a quantum leap in propulsion method and speed it just seems to long.
And the place too grim and inhospitable!

Too expensive too, for no gain that I can see.
Luddite that I am.

I think we should look after this planet a bit more.
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

PDQ Mobile wrote:Is there anyone on here that thinks a man will ever walk on Mars- and come back.
Without a quantum leap in propulsion method and speed it just seems to long.
And the place too grim and inhospitable!

Too expensive too, for no gain that I can see.
Luddite that I am.

I think we should look after this planet a bit more.

Are there not already volunteers?
How long might it take?
Longer than the voyages of Magellan or Drake?

Certainly it is a revolting idea that we can carry on trashing our home planet because we could abandon it. Mars does not seem a good swap! There have been ideas of "terraforming" Mars.
Last edited by Mike Sales on 31 May 2020, 9:40pm, edited 1 time in total.
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Best to try to be sure one is not expecting a baby before whizzing orf for a year in orbit

Expeditions to Mars and further may take many years even decades, might be good to plan to have babies on those in case people get sick or die
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies