11speed shifter not returning.

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
peetee

11speed shifter not returning.

Post by peetee »

I have here an Ultegra rear shifter that will not shift to smaller cogs after shifting to larger. The ‘reaction arm’ pictured sticking out on lower inside face of the shifter does not return of its own volition. However a quick touch of the brake lever and it does return. It does appear to be related to that assembly, gear cables are brand new, installed correctly and the shift itself is accurate and positive. Is this a simple fix?
70313024-733F-448B-9716-91CA36F4B764.jpeg
The older I get the more I’m inclined to act my shoe size, not my age.
Marcus Aurelius

Re: 11speed shifter not returning.

Post by Marcus Aurelius »

That’s broken, it’s fixable, but not an easy fix. You’d be better off replacing the brifter. Get a decent second hand one, some people buy brand new bikes with Ultegra brifters on them, then swap them straight out, for whatever they prefer / already have. Those brand new, but second hand brifters often appear in classifieds on cycle sites / eBay etc.
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

peetee wrote:I have here an Ultegra rear shifter that will not shift to smaller cogs after shifting to larger. The ‘reaction arm’ pictured sticking out on lower inside face of the shifter does not return of its own volition. However a quick touch of the brake lever and it does return. It does appear to be related to that assembly, gear cables are brand new, installed correctly and the shift itself is accurate and positive. Is this a simple fix?
70313024-733F-448B-9716-91CA36F4B764.jpeg

have you tried the usual spray lube + exercise routine? It looks as dry as a bone, what little we can see of it.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
peetee

Post by peetee »

It was sprayed with lube last night but with no improvement. The owner said it was working fine until they folded the hood over to replace the bar tape.
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

possibly a spring has become dislodged. I would remove the access panel and inspect carefully.

cheers
peetee

Post by peetee »

I can see a the curved end of a spring that is free but I can’t see what it should be hooked over. I’ve tried photographing it but it’s out of focus.
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

often you can usefully compare with the other shifter; there are differences but there are also similarities.

cheers
Trigger

Post by Trigger »

Should that little arm not be connected to the back of the inner shift lever?
peetee

Post by peetee »

This spring, visible as a hooked end. The hooked end could locate over a peg on that reaction lever but that would encourage it further out and it needs to pull the lever in. The other end of the spring (also dislocated) is on the wrong side of the coil To engage with the lever peg.
Attachments
6A578EB9-50A3-4DDD-96B0-8B19315DC0D4.jpeg
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

well I think you have found the problem. Solving it will be fiddly, even if the spring is still intact.

Often it isn't the end of the spring that seems to be 'free' that you need to rehook; may need to wind the other end of the spring a turn back and rehook that.

cheers
peetee

Post by peetee »

Brucey wrote:well I think you have found the problem. Solving it will be fiddly, even if the spring is still intact.

Often it isn't the end of the spring that seems to be 'free' that you need to rehook; may need to wind the other end of the spring a turn back and rehook that.

cheers

Hmmm. The other end of the spring is forward of the coil so wouldn’t readily hook up. Also, In the course of fiddling I have found that removing the tension in the brake cable allows the paddle to return normally, which is a bit peculiar.