Bent rim. Write off or repairable?

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Peter F

Bent rim. Write off or repairable?

Post by Peter F »

Hit a Cats eye at speed and as well as two flat tyres my front rim is bent. Is this repairable or should I just buy a new wheel?
20200531_115918.jpg

20200531_120033.jpg
Brucey

Re: Bent rim. Write off or repairable?

Post by Brucey »

some modern rims are heat treated to make them strong. This has the unfortunate side-effect of making them crack when you try and correct damage like that. So by all means try but be prepared to have to implement a back up plan.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
pwa

Post by pwa »

Some bike shops have tools to do that job if you don't fancy DIY.
Peter F

Post by Peter F »

Oh, not going to attempt DIY. Will try my local bike shop.
Marcus Aurelius

Post by Marcus Aurelius »

That could be rolled out, with a dent roller, however as has been said, it might crack the rim, so have a new rim as a ‘plan B’.
TheBomber

Post by TheBomber »

Is that tyre inflated in the photos? It might be the way the picture was taken but for a familiar Continental tyre there’s very little sidewall showing - making me wonder if there isn’t something odd about the setup that makes it prone to impact punctures/damage.
Peter F

Post by Peter F »

TheBomber wrote:Is that tyre inflated in the photos? It might be the way the picture was taken but for a familiar Continental tyre there’s very little sidewall showing - making me wonder if there isn’t something odd about the setup that makes it prone to impact punctures/damage.

No, tyre is completely flat there.

I've fixed it myself. A bit of wood, a hammer and a work bench knocked the dent back out sufficient to let the tyre seat correctly. Holding 110psig.
20200531_194556.jpg

20200531_194630.jpg
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

Peter F wrote:….I've fixed it myself....

yay!
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Peter F

Post by Peter F »

Update.
So rode the bike yesterday and while the wheel isn't 100% it doesn't really effect the way the bike rides.
However Hunt have got back to me and they will sell me a replacement rim for £45 (35% discount).
What to do...
hamster

Post by hamster »

At £45 I think it's worth replacing.
Jamesh

Post by Jamesh »

Your wheels are worth 30-50% of what they were worth before you hit the cateye.

Ok £45 isn't a small amount but I rekon its smaller than the loss of value due to hitting the cateye.

Also alot less than front teeth repairs, should the rim cause a catastrophic failure to the wheel as a whole. :( :( :( :(

Cheers James
Peter F

Post by Peter F »

Jamesh wrote:Your wheels are worth 30-50% of what they were worth before you hit the cateye.

Ok £45 isn't a small amount but I rekon its smaller than the loss of value due to hitting the cateye.

Also alot less than front teeth repairs, should the rim cause a catastrophic failure to the wheel as a whole. :( :( :( :(

Cheers James

This is all true. However the value bit doesn't mean anything to me. I will keep the wheels until they break anyway.

However, the question is how likely is the wheel to fail in the future, compared to a new rim. Front teeth is one thing but a wheel failing on a descent could be much worse.
Cyclewala

Post by Cyclewala »

I presume the Hunt offer is the same rim so it will be easy to transpose to existing spokes.

Sounds reasonable if you're handy with a spoke key, but factor in labour charges if asking a bike shop to do it.
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

hamster wrote:At £45 I think it's worth replacing.

Do this if you plan to keep descending at speed. £45 for peace of mind.
Peter F

Post by Peter F »

Cyclewala wrote:I presume the Hunt offer is the same rim so it will be easy to transpose to existing spokes.

Sounds reasonable if you're handy with a spoke key, but factor in labour charges if asking a bike shop to do it.

I'll pay a bike shop to do it. I'm not confident enough to do it myself. Yes, it is exactly the same rim.