Which type of brakes should I go for?

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
drkash

Which type of brakes should I go for?

Post by drkash »

Hi, first post so be nice! :wink:

I currently have a 8yr old cheap Apollo mountain bike which is quiet heavy. I'm looking at getting a new hybrid bike for road cycling 20-30km on weekends and also need something when causally going on trails and in the woods with the kids. Budget around £400-600. So far looking at bikes such as the Trek FX1, Trek FX2 Disc, Boardman HYB 8.6, Giant Escape 1/2 Disc.

My question is what kind of brakes should I be looking for? Rim brakes? Mechanical discs? Hydraulic discs?

A friend who is a keen cycler has advised me to avoid discs at this price point as they won't be good quality / reliable. I am not one to be able to do self maintenance so would end up going to a local bike store for maintenance and repairs so keen on something which is reliable and low maintenance.

Many thanks!
pwa

Re: Which type of brakes should I go for?

Post by pwa »

At that price point I think you might be best going for Vee (rim) brakes, but take the time to learn how to do some basic maintenance because it isn't difficult and it saves the hassle of taking the bike to a shop every time a five minute adjustment needs doing.
Marcus Aurelius

Post by Marcus Aurelius »

Most manufacturers will spec hydraulic disc brakes at that price point ( certainly towards the 600 pound mark ) The only time that won’t be the case is when a ‘big name’ bike manufacturer, tries to bring a bike’s price down, by using mechanical disc brakes. Try something like the Boardman you linked, the brakes are actually quite good, given the price of the bike, so you’re mate may be living in the past a bit. Hydraulic disc brakes are far less of a faff than cable operated discs, and they work better too. Halfords have knocked 50 quid off the RRP as well, which makes the HYB 8.6 even more appealing, that’s what I’d go for if it was my money.
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

If you are the kind of cyclist that leaves your bike untouched for months at a time over the winter, I would suggest that you don't get a bike with hydraulic brakes. When you come to use the bike again it is quite likely that they brakes will have suffered some (probably corrosion related) failure during storage. LBS will want to fit new brakes.... ££. Even if you are a keen DIYer economic repair may not be possible.

If you are choosing between cable discs and rim brakes at that price point it is a toss-up as to which is 'best'. Both will need maintenance, but it will be slightly different in each case.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

Brucey wrote:If you are the kind of cyclist that leaves your bike untouched for months at a time over the winter, I would suggest that you don't get a bike with hydraulic brakes. When you come to use the bike again it is quite likely that they brakes will have suffered some (probably corrosion related) failure during storage. LBS will want to fit new brakes.... ££. Even if you are a keen DIYer economic repair may not be possible.

If you are choosing between cable discs and rim brakes at that price point it is a toss-up as to which is 'best'. Both will need maintenance, but it will be slightly different in each case.

cheers

do mechanical disc brakes seize up if you dont use them ( as do hydraulics on eg motor bikes) or are they really rim brakes but on discs rather than rims?
drkash

Post by drkash »

Thanks for the replies. Yes over winter I won't use the bike, so it will be sat in the garage for at least 4 months each year.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Voodoo Marasa gets very good reviews
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
slowster

Post by slowster »

The following videos and articles show how to adjust V brakes, mechanical disc brakes and (Shimano) hydraulic disc brakes, and depending upon your mechanical aptitude might help you decide which you would prefer:

https://www.parktool.com/blog/repair-help/linear-pull-brake-service

https://www.parktool.com/blog/repair-help/mechanical-disc-brake-alignment

https://www.parktool.com/blog/repair-help/shimano-hydraulic-brake-service-and-adjustment.
Peter F

Post by Peter F »

Brucey wrote:If you are the kind of cyclist that leaves your bike untouched for months at a time over the winter, I would suggest that you don't get a bike with hydraulic brakes. When you come to use the bike again it is quite likely that they brakes will have suffered some (probably corrosion related) failure during storage. LBS will want to fit new brakes.... ££. Even if you are a keen DIYer economic repair may not be possible.

cheers

I don't agree with this.

You can get entry level Shimano hydraulics on a bike at that price point and in terms of performance they are vastly better than rim brakes and better than cable discs by some margin. I have a £500 hybrid with Shimano M315 discs that gets used as a winter bike and then for occasional off road stuff over the summer. It sees a fair bit of abuse and the brakes manage just fine. I have had to replace pads and bleed the system, due to air and water ingress, but it has been put through some pretty heavy going off road stuff in all weathers.

Also, fir a DIYer there is nothing to be afraid of with hydraulics. I was nervous at first but once you know what you're doing they are really quite straight forward.

For me the performance difference means I wouldn't buy myself a bike with anything else fitted.

If you really don't want to though, go for cable discs. They still out perform rim brakes comfortably.

But seriously, hydraulics all the way. If you get stuck with repairing them, just post on here and people will be able to help.
pwa

Post by pwa »

Peter F wrote:

cheers

I don't agree with this.

You can get entry level Shimano hydraulics on a bike at that price point and in terms of performance they are vastly better than rim brakes and better than cable discs by some margin. I have a £500 hybrid with Shimano M315 discs that gets used as a winter bike and then for occasional off road stuff over the summer. It sees a fair bit of abuse and the brakes manage just fine. I have had to replace pads and bleed the system, due to air and water ingress, but it has been put through some pretty heavy going off road stuff in all weathers.

Also, fir a DIYer there is nothing to be afraid of with hydraulics. I was nervous at first but once you know what you're doing they are really quite straight forward.

For me the performance difference means I wouldn't buy myself a bike with anything else fitted.

If you really don't want to though, go for cable discs. They still out perform rim brakes comfortably.

But seriously, hydraulics all the way. If you get stuck with repairing them, just post on here and people will be able to help.

I think Brucey's point was about bikes that are left standing over winter, unused for months at a time. It sounds like yours gets used all the time. Some mechanical things seize up if left unused in damp air.

But your happy experience with your hydraulic brakes is certainly worth noting.
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

Peter F wrote: ….I don't agree with this.....

You can get entry level Shimano hydraulics …... If you get stuck with repairing them, just post on here and people will be able to help.

where I am, every winter there is a steady stream of folk with such brakes needing them replaced at the LBS. Every spring when bikes come out of winter slumber, there are suddenly more. The most common failure is a persistent leak at the caliper end, caused by corrosion in the caliper body where the piston seal sits. Repair is fiddly and uncertain, since you can't easily buy the seals and the smallest leak past the caliper seal results in the same problem recurring repeatedly. This failure mode is so persistent that most users who stick with it just accept that every year or eighteen months new parts will be required.

Repairs at the LBS are typically new caliper and pads, maybe new disc as well, fit and bleed. Costs are similar (with flat bars) to a DIY repair in which a pre-bled brake (MC, hose and caliper) is fitted.

I think you can stave off this kind of failure by greasing the pistons using silicone grease, but getting it in the right place is not easy.

IME folk coming from aged Apollo MTBs don't always take well to the increased maintenance/repair demands of such brakes; it doesn't matter how well they work when they are working the best they will do is stop you and there are many brakes that are easier to repair that will do that.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Peter F

Post by Peter F »

pwa wrote:
Peter F wrote:

cheers

I don't agree with this.

I think Brucey's point was about bikes that are left standing over winter, unused for months at a time. It sounds like yours gets used all the time. Some mechanical things seize up if left unused in damp air.

But your happy experience with your hydraulic brakes is certainly worth noting.

I should clarify, my hybrid gets used occasionally over the summer. I moved it yesterday for the first time in about 3 months and the brakes were fine. The freewheel had seized but that's a different issue.

My road bike has entry level hydraulics, Shimano BR785. It was the cheapest road bike you could get at the time with hydraulics and that does get left untouched for 5 to 6 months every year and has done so for the last 3 years and aside from pads the brakes have required no maintenance.
pwa

Post by pwa »

duplicate post
Last edited by pwa on 3 Jun 2020, 8:04pm, edited 1 time in total.
pwa

Post by pwa »

Peter F wrote:

I should clarify, my hybrid gets used occasionally over the summer. I moved it yesterday for the first time in about 3 months and the brakes were fine. The freewheel had seized but that's a different issue.

My road bike has entry level hydraulics, Shimano BR785. It was the cheapest road bike you could get at the time with hydraulics and that does get left untouched for 5 to 6 months every year and has done so for the last 3 years and aside from pads the brakes have required no maintenance.

Sounds good. My only experience with hydraulics was on a tandem and that is a bit different. Heat build-up caused the fluid to stop working and I lost all braking in that rear brake. That is less likely on a solo bike. my current bikes have rim brakes which work fine, in that I can brake up to the point where the wheels lock, and that is as much braking as any brake can do. The difference being that I have to pull hard to do that and you just have to do a moderate squeeze, which is nice. And my brakes take even more force in the wet, of course. But I know how to maintain them and if something goes wrong (though it never does) I can fix it at the roadside. I suppose it is just what I know.
Peter F

Post by Peter F »

Brucey wrote:
Peter F wrote: ….I don't agree with this.....

You can get entry level Shimano hydraulics …... If you get stuck with repairing them, just post on here and people will be able to help.

where I am, every winter there is a steady stream of folk with such brakes needing them replaced at the LBS. Every spring when bikes come out of winter slumber, there are suddenly more. The most common failure is a persistent leak at the caliper end, caused by corrosion in the caliper body where the piston seal sits. Repair is fiddly and uncertain, since you can't easily buy the seals and the smallest leak past the caliper seal results in the same problem recurring repeatedly. This failure mode is so persistent that most users who stick with it just accept that every year or eighteen months new parts will be required.

Repairs at the LBS are typically new caliper and pads, maybe new disc as well, fit and bleed. Costs are similar (with flat bars) to a DIY repair in which a pre-bled brake (MC, hose and caliper) is fitted.

I think you can stave off this kind of failure by greasing the pistons using silicone grease, but getting it in the right place is not easy.

IME folk coming from aged Apollo MTBs don't always take well to the increased maintenance/repair demands of such brakes; it doesn't matter how well they work when they are working the best they will do is stop you and there are many brakes that are easier to repair that will do that.

cheers

If the local bike shop are doing all that for a leaky caliper sounds like they're taking advantage. Discs should not need replacing or hoses or pads. Simply replace the caliper and bleed the system. New calipers on entry level brakes can be had for under £20, certainly Shimano Altus ones can. Bleed kit cost me £16 including genuine shinano oil.

Maybe I've been lucky, but my hybrid hasn't been pampered. In 2300 miles it's needed a new bottom bracket, a new rear derailleur, new cassette, chain and both front and rear wheel bearings are in need of replacement. As I said, the bike gets abused and is ridden through mud, sand and water as well as rocky terrain. I was it and occasionally use bike protection spray, but I never grease caliper piston etc.