Yay - it makes it all worthwhile

For discussions within the Cycle Training profession.
keepontriking

Yay - it makes it all worthwhile

Post by keepontriking »

I've just got to share this.
As some of you may know I teach cycling. Part of this includes quite a few complete beginners of all ages.

This weekend was just one of those special joyful times that come along so rarely for those children afflicted with difficulties sent to challenge their young lives.

Little 9-year old Josie* has been struggling with a trike for many years, having suffered from cerebral palsy with both balance and muscle tone problems. Playing with her friends was becoming harder, for as they grew older their horizons extended beyond Josie's limited capabilities.
She was left behind - alone - and she cried, and cried.
In a recent personal statement that Josie had to produce at school she wrote that she "would give everything she owned just to be able to ride a bike".

I've been working with her for a couple of weeks and this weekend, it was like a miracle. She took her very first unaided pedal strokes. Firstly it was 2 metres, then 5, then 50 and finally, well, who could stop her....
Steering will come soon and her aim is now a shiny new bike for Christmas so she can play in those woods too - and be back with her friends.

I've never seen such a big smile "Yay, I can ride; I can ride" she shouted as tears streamed down her little face with joy. Her life has truly opened up and as her Mum said, a whole new world now beckons.
It will not be long before she will be whooshing off with excitement into the local woods and tracks.

For anyone with any difficulties, just think of little Josie.
With belief, and a little helping of courage, they can be overcome.

I had to spread this good news; I hope you don't mind.

*name changed.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

:D
bikeboy

Post by bikeboy »

Thank God, at last a positive story with no room for anyone to start back biting.

It must of been an amazing experience, congratulations to you and of course a big congratulations to Josie.

"Reach for the sky & then take it further"
Edwards

Post by Edwards »

Brought a tear to my eyes as well. A wonderfull tale, thank you for sharing it.
Well done both of you.
keepontriking

Post by keepontriking »

UPDATE

Today little Josie rode all around the Park.

She is now taking a hand off to signal, completing controlled turns and looking behind while riding :D
She is just so happy and the smile even wider.
The new bike for Christmas is apparently on order.

And today she gave me a big bag of jelly babies :D
essexman

Post by essexman »

I cried too!

Mind if i stick a link to this on my blog? I try to avoid news and kit stories, but i do like to highlight positive cycling things like this.
I hate snow.
keepontriking

Post by keepontriking »

essexman wrote:I cried too!

Mind if i stick a link to this on my blog? I try to avoid news and kit stories, but i do like to highlight positive cycling things like this.

Of course. No probs.
John
Hampshire Cycle Training
http://www.hampshirecycletraining.org.uk/
Dee Jay

Post by Dee Jay »

I'm choked up as well.

Excellent: well done - to both of you.

Thanks for sharing. And I would love to hear of her further progress and enjoyment of cycling..
Dee
Hector's House

Post by Hector's House »

: :) This has truly made my day! :D

Thankyou very much for sharing!
xpc316e

Post by xpc316e »

I wish that I could bottle your emotions and sell them - I'd be a millionaire by Christmas. What a wonderful story.
Riding a Dahon Jetstream P9 folder, an early 90s Vision R30 above seat steered recumbent, and the latest acquisition, a Haibike Sduro Trekking 4.0 electric bike.
Edwards

Post by Edwards »

I have just read the first part then the update.
It is such a happy tale that I choked up again. Please keep us informed as I am sure there will be more good moments.
Keith Edwards
I do not care about spelling and grammar
worthers

Post by worthers »

Ahhh that's a great story, thanks for sharing :)

I've just finished a National Standards instructor training course with Luton council and I can't wait to get out and start teaching! Last week I had the pleasure of helping a nervous friend to ride a bike for the first time and it was a very rewarding experience.