Speedmachine - continuously under repair

DIscuss anything relating to non-standard cycles and their equipment.
belgiangoth

Re: Speedmachine - continuously under repair

Post by belgiangoth »

Brucey wrote:The cable routing is pants because the cable stop is in the wrong place for that FD (and the cable is wrong in the pinch bolt too). I think the frame is designed for an (older) MTB triple, which will have a longer top arm than that.

More Photos of the FD. I think the cable is routed where it is intended to go.

Which suggests that the solution is a new FD.

Upwrong, I'm not sure I understand how your disk thingy is supposed to work - or is it just a bodge job to extend the arm inwards?
If I had a baby elephant, I would put it on a recumbent trike so that it would become invisible.
UpWrong

Post by UpWrong »

The disc came fitted to a Metabikes I bought from Kinetics a number of years ago. My problem is I can't remember how the cable was routed, nor even be sure what FD it was fitted to. I'm assuming the purpose is to lengthen the lever pulling on the arm making it behave like an MTB FD rather than a Road FD. I'll take some more photos if I can get it working.
belgiangoth

Post by belgiangoth »

Don’t jtek make those? Worth a google.
If I had a baby elephant, I would put it on a recumbent trike so that it would become invisible.
UpWrong

Post by UpWrong »

belgiangoth wrote:Don’t jtek make those? Worth a google.

Jtek do various shiftmates for rear shifters, but nothing for the FD.

I still can't get the middle to large ring change working. It just goes impossibly stiff. I'm going to have to change either the shifter or the FD. I have an SRAM attack trigger shifter. I wonder if that is Road FD compatible?
belgiangoth

Post by belgiangoth »

Sounds like my issue. I had some road trigger shifters I used briefly, but the amount of welly you had to give them put me off.
squeaker

Post by squeaker »

belgiangoth wrote:Which suggests that the solution is a new FD.
Before that, try running the cable as per the photo below (from my old ICE 'S') - worked fine, albeit a bit hard on the cable!
Attachments
P8100369.JPG
"42"
UpWrong

Post by UpWrong »

squeaker wrote:
belgiangoth wrote:Which suggests that the solution is a new FD.
Before that, try running the cable as per the photo below (from my old ICE 'S') - worked fine, albeit a bit hard on the cable!

Indeed, the cable should route around and over the "pip" before being clamped. It doesn't solve my problem though.
belgiangoth

Post by belgiangoth »

Thanks squeeker.
Upwrong, I'll have a look in the shed for my trigger shifters if they can be of interest to you.
UpWrong

Post by UpWrong »

belgiangoth wrote:Thanks squeeker.
Upwrong, I'll have a look in the shed for my trigger shifters if they can be of interest to you.

I'm sorted thanks. I changed the FD to an MTB one, and it works ok with the 30-39-50 Tiagra crankset.
belgiangoth

Post by belgiangoth »

Well, I couldn't (and still can't) figure out why wrapping around the bolt would make a difference.
BUT IT DOES!
Will have to give it a go on the road/turbo, but where it used to stop in the middle ring it now goes up to top gear and is happy to stay in the middle ring.
Cheers squeeker!
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

belgiangoth wrote:
Brucey wrote:The cable routing is pants because the cable stop is in the wrong place for that FD (and the cable is wrong in the pinch bolt too). I think the frame is designed for an (older) MTB triple, which will have a longer top arm than that.

More Photos of the FD. I think the cable is routed where it is intended to go....

It wasn't. As I said before.

Squeaker's cable routing is correct and you would see that it if had you looked at the SI techdoc for that mech.

It works better because

a) the cable isn't binding so badly against the cable stop on the frame, and
b) there is also more mechanical advantage over the FD. The further to the right the cable is in the pinch bolt, the less the mechanical advantage is.

If you want the easiest shifting then use a FD with a longer arm still, or make up an extension to the extant arm, which moves the cable further leftwards.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
belgiangoth

Post by belgiangoth »

So, looks like I have broken my tiller/stem

It's magnetic so I wonder whether I could get that mended or whether I should buy new. While much more £££s than I would like to spend possibly a tiller that isn't fixed would be an opportunity.
squeaker

Post by squeaker »

Looks fixable to me (needs competent gas welder, IMO) maybe with a sleeve. Maybe replace if you don't like a fixed tiller, or want to try 'aero bars'? (I recall Stuart Dennison of Bikefix making a variant tiller for his SPM - maybe ask for ideas on the BHPC Facebook page?)
"42"
belgiangoth

Post by belgiangoth »

Is the BHPC Facebook page the reason why their forum is so quiet?
hercule

Post by hercule »

No, we’re just all out riding :D

Or I will be shortly...