Surly Troll - New fork with longer steerer

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Altissima

Surly Troll - New fork with longer steerer

Post by Altissima »

Hi, I have a 2014 model Surly Troll that I have had and enjoyed (for the most part) for 6 years and around 4,000 miles, mainly as a commuting bike and for occasional off road rides.

The issue that I have (and which stops me using it for longer journeys) with the bike is the relatively short steerer tube as standard and the fact that I can't get the bars as high as I would like ie level with the saddle, even by using a steeply rising stem.

What I would like to know please, is can I swap the existing fork for a different one with a longer steerer tube that would easily allow me to raise the bars?
PH

Re: Surly Troll - New fork with longer steerer

Post by PH »

Would be a lot cheaper to buy a steerer extender. This is the first one Google found, but there's plenty of choice
https://www.rosebikes.co.uk/rose-steere ... der-721073

Or to answer the question - EDIT BELOW you don't say if the fork is the original or has been cut. If the latter, then Surly forks are available, though you'd have to be careful that the design and specification hasn't changed. There are options beyond that, but that's the first thing to check out.

EDIT - Sorry I missed that you do say it's original. so I'm assuming not cut. For a non Surly replacement you'd have to match the dropout to crown measurement and offset to not alter the steering. Or a framebuilder could weld you an extension, I know someone had this done and it wasn't expensive, certainly less than the cost of a fork.
Altissima

Post by Altissima »

Hi PH

Thank you for posting a reply so quickly. I should have said it was an uncut steerer :)

I have tried an extender but it felt wobbly (I may have mounted it wrongly) on off road rides so I took it off.
I hadn't thought about having it welded by a bike builder. I will make some enquiries.
Many thanks
PH

Post by PH »

Altissima wrote:Hi PH

Thank you for posting a reply so quickly. I should have said it was an uncut steerer :)

I have tried an extender but it felt wobbly (I may have mounted it wrongly) on off road rides so I took it off.
I hadn't thought about having it welded by a bike builder. I will make some enquiries.
Many thanks

Say where you are and someone might have a local recommendation. My friends was done by Bob Jacksons and their price list shows "New Fork Column" £60
http://www.bobjacksoncycles.co.uk/frame-repairs/
Altissima

Post by Altissima »

Hi PH
Thanks for responding again. We live in Devon. Happy to post the fork anywhere though
PH

Post by PH »

Altissima wrote:Hi PH
Thanks for responding again. We live in Devon. Happy to post the fork anywhere though

Others might know better, but Argos are in Bristol, excellent reputation and £65 on their price list
https://argoscycles.com/resprays-refurb/price-lists/
531colin

Post by 531colin »

Troll forks sold as "spares" have 310mm steerer https://surlybikes.com/parts/troll_fork
yostumpy

Post by yostumpy »

https://www.google.co.uk/aclk?sa=l&ai=D ... EDI&adurl=

You need one of these, brilliant bit of kit, basically a quill type post that fits inside your steerer. Up to 80mm extension, and with extra spacers is basically invisible. Drill out the starnut , and slip this in. Headset preload can be set as well. I have one, brilliant, my stem is now 25mm above top of steerer.
PT1029

Post by PT1029 »

You don't want one of these,
They are for converting from a quill stem fork to A head fitting.
Quill stem fork columns will be designed with stem wedges in mind. A head forks may well have a thinner wall thickness (no stress raiser threads to allow for), so may not be so well suited to the expanding forces of a wedge. I expect someone else may be able to offer a more definative opinion on this.
You want the a head stem riser referred to above thread, or new/modified forks, also referred to up thread. When fitted correctly stem risers are firm/secure, but you may/may not need to add some extra spacers to get it to fit well and the headset adjusted correctly. You especially need enough spacers where the green spacers are in the photo below, otherwise the headset will always be loose :

WAKE-Bike-Handlebar-ForkStem-Riser.jpg
531colin

Post by 531colin »

Surly Troll fork steerers are made from steel tube; this tube (like most other tube) is still made to the good old imperial dimensions.
So, inch and eighth steerer is inch and eighth outside diameter, inch inside diameter, wall thickness one sixteenth.
Inch steerer is inch outside, seven-eighths of an inch inside, wall thickness one sixteenth.
It follows that steerer tubes for threaded headsets are weaker than steerer tubes for ahead, due to the thread being cut on the outside.
The steerer extenders which fit inside the tube are perfectly satisfactory in my experience; I have used one of the external fit type which would never seat perfectly, and headset adjustment was always wonky. Many people however find them satisfactory.
yostumpy

Post by yostumpy »

PT1029 wrote:You don't want one of these,
They are for converting from a quill stem fork to A head fitting.
Quill stem fork columns will be designed with stem wedges in mind. A head forks may well have a thinner wall thickness (no stress raiser threads to allow for), so may not be so well suited to the expanding forces of a wedge. I expect someone else may be able to offer a more definative opinion on this.
You want the a head stem riser referred to above thread, or new/modified forks, also referred to up thread. When fitted correctly stem risers are firm/secure, but you may/may not need to add some extra spacers to get it to fit well and the headset adjusted correctly. You especially need enough spacers where the green spacers are in the photo below, otherwise the headset will always be loose :

WAKE-Bike-Handlebar-ForkStem-Riser.jpg

I'm sorry but you are wrong.
These are intended for use with AHEAD stem (threadless) systems, and threaded systems. They come in 2 diameters, and the instructions , that you get when you actually buy one, clearly show that they are intended for both, and perfectly safe to do so, as designed for the job.
So I've bought, read and fitted, and clearly happy. They are designed to raise the height of the steerer, hence the name, 'steerer extender' not 'quill converter''.
PT1029

Post by PT1029 »

I stand corrected, useful to know.
mikeymo

Post by mikeymo »

531colin wrote:Surly Troll fork steerers are made from steel tube; this tube (like most other tube) is still made to the good old imperial dimensions.

Would you say that applies to most "mainstream" brands? For instance my Ridgeback.

I've left he steerer uncut, but I'd quite like cut it, so long as I know there's an easy way to extend it in the future, if I want to.
yostumpy

Post by yostumpy »

mikeymo wrote:
531colin wrote:Surly Troll fork steerers are made from steel tube; this tube (like most other tube) is still made to the good old imperial dimensions.

Would you say that applies to most "mainstream" brands? For instance my Ridgeback.

I've left he steerer uncut, but I'd quite like cut it, so long as I know there's an easy way to extend it in the future, if I want to.

My Olive is a Ridgeback World Panorama Deluxe, and this is the very bike I have used the 'quill type' extender on. I'm not a fan on 'sticky up' stems, i like them to be horizontal.

ImageIMG_1113 by mark tilley, on Flickr

Here is Olive in Feb, up on a Ruff Stuff hostelling weekend,in t' Peak District, and if you zoom in, I have 35mm of spacers, plus a 10mm spacer/lockring, so 45mm total. Can't see the 'Quill type' extender can you. :) I'm not exactly light, or gentle either.
mikeymo

Post by mikeymo »

yostumpy wrote:
mikeymo wrote:

My Olive is a Ridgeback World Panorama Deluxe, and this is the very bike I have used the 'quill type' extender on. I'm not a fan on 'sticky up' stems, i like them to be horizontal.

ImageIMG_1113 by mark tilley, on Flickr

Here is Olive in Feb, up on a Ruff Stuff hostelling weekend,in t' Peak District, and if you zoom in, I have 35mm of spacers, plus a 10mm spacer/lockring, so 45mm total. Can't see the 'Quill type' extender can you. :) I'm not exactly light, or gentle either.

Great, thanks. I have exactly the same frame, but in Orange, which is the colour they sold it in as a frameset.

PS, which diameter extender did you buy, by the way?