Are you going camping when they open up on 4th July?

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
1982john

Are you going camping when they open up on 4th July?

Post by 1982john »

So 4th July is going to be our independence day

Are you itching to get out there? I will be going as soon as possible.
simonineaston

Re: Are you going camping when they open up on 4th July?

Post by simonineaston »

Wot's up on fourth July - do tell!
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
ChrisF

Post by ChrisF »

AFAIK it's not official yet, it's up to Boris to confirm it one way or another.
I have booked a couple of sites starting 6th; both of them say it's provisional. Also you need to check if they have toilets etc open, some won't have. I'll be in my campervan with its own toilet etc. And bike, of course, stored under the bed.
Chris F, Cornwall
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

Other half starts his retirement on 3rd having delayed it from 3rd April (due to being a keyworker in the food industry and not a lot of point retiring in lockdown), we shall be raring to go and try to recoup some of trips away we hoped to do...
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
mattsccm

Post by mattsccm »

Might be. Facilities don't worry me. If I am on a site with taps and bogs it isn't camping. Its staying in a tent somewhere. Therefore would be more concerned about being chased off by an upset hill farmer.
My wife however , who calls sleeping in a camper van, with a bog , and using a shower, camping will be somewhat more picky. :roll:
whoof

Post by whoof »

There have been newspaper articles for a few weeks talking about camp sites opening some saying first as early as first of June as of yet no confirmation regarding their actual opening.
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

16th July here in Scotland hopefully :D
I’ve got a week booked caravanning in Garlieston from the 20th. It’s not far from home and using it to find out what future camping is going to be like. If we’re not happy then we can come home.
Culloden booked for September then hopefully some bike tours in between. There’s a lot of lost time to make up. :)
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
robing

Post by robing »

Heading to Scotland as soon as it's open for wild camping. I think campsites will be even less appealing after Covid.
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

robing wrote:Heading to Scotland as soon as it's open for wild camping. I think campsites will be even less appealing after Covid.

Can’t find it just now but I’m sure I’ve read somewhere recently they might be clamping down on wild camping. I think it was directed more towards motor homes/ campervans as it’s illegal anyway so it read.

E2E info
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

No.

Risk to others of spreading the virus.
Risk of getting the virus.
Risk of getting the virus somewhere awkward.

Jonathan (67 y and no major risk factors)
whoof

Post by whoof »

robing wrote:Heading to Scotland as soon as it's open for wild camping. I think campsites will be even less appealing after Covid.

My next camping trip will involve either a tarp or bivvy and possibly a small trowel.
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

Jdsk wrote:No.

Risk to others of spreading the virus.
Risk of getting the virus.
Risk of getting the virus somewhere awkward.

Jonathan (67 y and no major risk factors)

To your first two points how great is this risk you fear? If you don’t sit in your tent with a stranger, keep socially distancing , wash your hands often. What’s the chance of you spending time with a carrier?

The third point is a concern but if you reduce the risk to the first two points then why worry.

The people working in the ALDI I shop at must be in contact with hundreds of people a day possibly five days a week for the last 12 weeks. I asked the girl on the till if any of the staff had caught it. Not one. :)

68 yo ...not worried but I will certainly continue to be careful.

E2E info
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

I don't have a quantitative estimate of what the risk will be early in July or at any point beyond that.

But for comparators I haven't been out shopping or met anyone socially during the outbreak,

I could make a reasonable estimate of the risk to me using Spiegelhalter's data. But it wouldn't affect this decision much. The risk to others will be higher than if I don't do it, and the pleasure of camping or touring doesn't feel to me to be in the same league of benefits as people who have to go to work going to work and getting many children and therefore teachers back to school. At this moment I don't feel it's right to add to the total risk for the country.

Jonathan
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

whoof wrote:

My next camping trip will involve either a tarp or bivvy and possibly a small trowel.

And to check, if camping is opened up on july4, freecamping will also be fine virus regs wise?
Am aware of course of general time restrictions on freecamping, but of course we all ignore that nonsense - arrive late, leave early. Am already scouting out various places on day rides.
Sweep
robing

Post by robing »

I think the risks from the virus have been massively inflated. In the last fortnight we have seen mass gatherings with no social distancing whatsoever. So. If with everything we've been told we should see a tsunami of cases the next few weeks. I suspect we won't.