Cambridge or Oxford, which do you prefer?

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.

Cambridge or Oxford?

Poll ended at 27 May 2018, 5:21am

Cambridge
18%
Oxford
24%
neither
12%
both
6%
Milton Keynes (right at the centre)
12%
another uni town (which?)
24%
Heidelberg or Tuebingen
6%
Abingdon
No votes
Newmarket
No votes

Total votes: 17

drossall

Re: Cambridge or Oxford, which do you prefer?

Post by drossall »

Marcus Aurelius wrote:Aula regia et collegium aenei nasi, dear boy.

My Latin's so rusty it's seized up. Google Translate renders that as "And college bowl nasal court" :D
drossall

Post by drossall »

Oldjohnw wrote:And Illegitimi non carborundum

I thought it was "noli" rather than "non". The Geological Society at university had it as a motto. Not that I was a member - I read physics.
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

drossall wrote:
Oldjohnw wrote:And Illegitimi non carborundum

I thought it was "noli" rather than "non". The Geological Society at university had it as a motto. Not that I was a member - I read physics.

It isn't real Latin so anything goes.
John
drossall

Post by drossall »

Told you my Latin was seized up.

But I must give off a different impression. When I was made redundant, my team bought me a t-shirt, "Impossibilia facimus statim; miraculae paulo diutius", and clearly assumed that I would understand. This I think reflected what had been asked of us, rather than what I had asked of them :D

The flying pig picture accompanying the text helps :D :D
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

A bit of a guess: impossible we do at once, miracles take a bit longer?
John
Marcus Aurelius

Post by Marcus Aurelius »

Oldjohnw wrote:
Marcus Aurelius wrote:
merseymouth wrote:Hi Marcus, Are you sure you should be sending coded messages on an open forum? :shock:
Certainly all looks Greek to me! :roll: Even at 71 y-o-a I'm still trying to learn proper English, so what chance have I got at enjoying your erudite gems? MM

Aula regia et collegium aenei nasi, dear boy.

And Illegitimi non carborundum

Quite right.
Marcus Aurelius

Post by Marcus Aurelius »

drossall wrote:
Marcus Aurelius wrote:Aula regia et collegium aenei nasi, dear boy.

My Latin's so rusty it's seized up. Google Translate renders that as "And college bowl nasal court" :D

It’s not far off.
merseymouth

Post by merseymouth »

Hi again folk, I can see this thread, indeed forum drifting off into a weird language form? Latin, Greek, French, ancient French (different), even Double Dutch!
I could barely cope when Bryn & the boys drifted off into "Boyo Language", from the land of his father, but to go back to the days of Juvenal and Pliny the Elder is taking it too far! :shock: :shock: .
Maybe I should emulate Fritz Spiegel, author of "Lern Yourself Scouse"? Have you all heading down jiggers, or heading towards the "One Eyed Town"?
Fritz was a wonderful man, his erudition with regards to the English language was astounding. But he always said he had an advantage over us, having learnt and studied English rather than merely acquiring it from the cot! He came here as a 7 year-old fleeing Nazism.
So think about us dumb bunnies, the ones who never attended prep-school and crammers, maybe even had to attend reform school, or further back Ragged Schools?
As someone who is hearing impaired I dread to think of the complexities involved in interpreting other language into BSL :roll: . Ta Ta La, MM

P.S. We translate the Everton motto - Nil Desperandum into "Never let the buggers grind you down. :lol:
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Mr Spiegel, did he work for the Daily Mirror?
Lerpwl or Manceinion? Liverpool or Everton? :wink:
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
merseymouth

Post by merseymouth »

Hi Cyril, Fritz came from Austria to avoid the mess Herr Hitler was causing.
Quite how he found Liverpool I don't know, but we certainly enjoyed having him here!
He was of cause a Flautist with the RLPO, married a fellow musician, Bridget Fry, created the most memorable TV theme music for Z-Cars, which was an arrangement of the Liverpool song "Johnny Todd". Don't recall whether or not he was a Blue Nose? But the Everton team run out onto the pitch with that theme playing.
He was until his untimely death a columnist with the Daily Telegraph, correcting all of our illiterate English mis-usages! (oops, there's one).
He loved the city and tried to preserve a lot of stuff when it went under the bulldozer?
One day walking in the city centre he chanced to pass a building that as under the wrecking ball, the Liverpool Seaman's Home, lots of beautiful carved stonework. Seeing some elegant carvings of dolphins et al, he chatted to the gaffer, immediately wangled a deal for large sections of it, rang up a mate to get hands o a lorry, so that he could have it taken to his home near Prince's Park
He created his own garden folly. Lovely man. TTFN MM
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

I think I have 'A small book of Grave Humour' by the master
Is a street or a train station named after him, is there a statue of him? If not, why not?
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

Never been to Cambridge so can't really vote!
My Oxford thoughts are: my favourite bike shop is Warlands, Botley Road. Steve and Andy are great cycling enthusiasts and its a lovely little LBS - hope it's still going strong. My favourite take-way is (or was... haven't lived there since 2014) the south Indian opposite the railway station. Used to do decent basic vegetarian Indian food, dead cheap. My fave sitdown was Sojo, round the corner, excellent Chinese food. My fave museum has got to be the Pitt Rivers - bonkers! My fave walk would be up through Wytham Woods. My fave cycle route would be out up Cumnor Hill and then along to Appleford and beyond. Funnily enough, I can't think of a favourite pub - for some unlikely reason, Oxford's pubs are somehow a bit mundane, beer-wise at any rate... all the obvious 'heratige' pubs are OK of course - White Bear, Eagle & Child yadda yadda, but rather spoilt either by tourists or mediocre beer... odd.
I used to live on a boat opposite Christchurch Meadows - a fabulous spot except at this time of year when the noisey geese would get going with their dawn sqabbles at sunrise...
I was fond of The Bear & Ragged Staff at Cumnor, The Trout at Godstowe and the White Hart at Wytham, but time and modern gastro-pub practices have caught up with them all... Back in the old days only nice middle-class people went out to eat, at posh places like these, but nowadays they're full of every Tom, Dick & Harry, with their dreadful, overweight families... eugh!
The Punter (was The Waterman, landlord ex-college boxing coach, delightfully exccentric...Henry, rather forgetful in his latter years) can be good for food and beer, on a good day..
And of course, the covered market. Meat eater's paradise. John's for bangers, and on Tuesdays - warm scotch eggs; Fella & daughter for inexpensive game, the cheese shop - expensive but top quality and the Stein-endorsed fish shop (Top Tip: visit instead their rather good, modern outlet down the Botley Road, hidden away on an industrial estate...)
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

@MM
Just looked out the book, +1 he was Fritz Spiegl, not Spiegel :wink:
(Spiegel=Mirror)
merseymouth

Post by merseymouth »

Oi Cyril, I told you I was hignorant :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: . MM