Deeside to Wirral Cycle Route

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Graham O

Deeside to Wirral Cycle Route

Post by Graham O »

For those of us in the North Wales and Wirral areas, I've just had an update on the development of the route from Deeside to the Wirral across the Burton Marshes. From Peter Williams, the local CTC Rights Officer:

All the planning applications for the route in Flintshire and Cheshire have gone through.
Work on the route will start in Flintshire this December and in January on the Cheshire side.
Permissive agreements still have to be signed by the RSPB ?

The new route will go behind the MOD Firing Range alongside the railway. A Boardwalk will be constructed to take you over a wet field from the old steel road up to the railway embankment. The route then drops down the embankment to connect with the access road to the Firing Range.

As regarding a date for opening the route it could be in the Spring. Cheshire West and Chester Council will make an announcement.

This is a really useful link route and avoids the horrible A550 to Two Mills.
wirral_cyclist

Re: Deeside to Wirral Cycle Route

Post by wirral_cyclist »

Further to this huge boon for West Wirral cyclists is a bid being put together to have a short shared use path from Eureka cafe, Two Mills to nearby Woodbank Lane, this will also provide a good route to Deeside (from the West/South Wirral area, cycle routes NCN56/70/71). This scheme requires only 3/4 miles of shared use provision alongside the quite nasty A540 (a pinch point from Dual to Single carriageway) this will bring a huge benefit to those cyclists who avoid this area just because of this stretch of road currently - alternatives routes are available but are rat-runs often enough to be considered no safer sadly.
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

I like that it goes behind the firing range. Reminds me of 'Duck Shoot' that old computer game classic...
Graham O

Post by Graham O »

kwackers wrote:I like that it goes behind the firing range. Reminds me of 'Duck Shoot' that old computer game classic...

There's nothing wrong in being behind the firing range. It's being in front which causes the problems. :)
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

Graham O wrote:
kwackers wrote:I like that it goes behind the firing range. Reminds me of 'Duck Shoot' that old computer game classic...

There's nothing wrong in being behind the firing range. It's being in front which causes the problems. :)

Perhaps I have the wrong end of the range?
To me behind puts me behind the ducks - i.e. the second row. Does it actually mean behind the gunners?
Graham O

Post by Graham O »

kwackers wrote:
Graham O wrote:

To me behind puts me behind the ducks - i.e. the second row. Does it actually mean behind the gunners?

This could be the start of a long forum debate, but to my mind, when talking about shooting, behind means behind the gun. Unless of course, someone knows better?
Graham O

Post by Graham O »

Latest update:

"Flintshire County Council are in the process of undertaking the construction of a cyclepath linking Deeside Industrial Park Zone 3-4 and Burton, Cheshire. The scheme will require the construction of 3m wide cyclepath running adjacent to the Railway line and the MOD Sealand Range, and then crossing the marsh land with a raised wooden boardwalk linking into the existing path in Cheshire.

The works will commence on the 7/01/2013 with a completion time of 10 - 12 weeks."
meic

Post by meic »

Graham O wrote:
kwackers wrote:
Graham O wrote:There's nothing wrong in being behind the firing range. It's being in front which causes the problems. :)

This could be the start of a long forum debate, but to my mind, when talking about shooting, behind means behind the gun. Unless of course, someone knows better?

That depends on whether you are behind the butts or behind the firing point. I would agree with Kwackers that behind a range means behind the butts, but it all depends on which end of the egg you start at.
In your own time....
Fire!
Yma o Hyd
bogmyrtle

Post by bogmyrtle »

Sounds more like an assault course than a cycle route. :)
A bike does more miles to the banana than a Porsche.
merrymac

Post by merrymac »

For cyclists from outside the area, this Sustrans route 568 was finally opened in July 2013 and has been a magnet for cyclists ever since. I heard last year, but have no evidence, that approx 11,000 people use it every month. My house is at the Northern end of 568, so call in for a cuppa if you're passing
mjr

Post by mjr »

Has it reopened now, then? RSPB had withdrawn permission and closed their section, causing a long diversion (and a long backtrack from one direction). They blamed teenagers.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
RickH

Post by RickH »

mjr wrote:Has it reopened now, then? RSPB had withdrawn permission and closed their section, causing a long diversion (and a long backtrack from one direction). They blamed teenagers.

Yes it was only closed for a few days in the end & re-opened (or was due to - but I've not heard anything to the contrary from the Chester & North Wales CTC folk I know) on 20 May (link).
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
John Holiday

Post by John Holiday »

Cycled from Mold to Net's Cafe at Burton Marsh on Sunday. All open again after temporary closure as result of threats & abuse to RSPB personnel.
Very busy with both walkers & people on bikes of every sort.
Net's take away only,but you sit on grass or benches outside.
chesterpete

Post by chesterpete »

Yes, its all back up and running. Its been a marvellous addition, especially now that Nets cafe is open.