Cycling Mitt Recommendations

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
rmurphy195

Cycling Mitt Recommendations

Post by rmurphy195 »

Wel,it had to happen didn't it - took my mitts off and left them on the pannier rack while taking a scottish small stop, hopped on the bike, then a few miles later - doh, I'd forgotten them! (A nice comy pair of Boardman cycling mitts)

Now I have a theory that if the mitts had been yellow instead of black, I would have been less likely to ride off not noticing they were still on the rack (I'm entitled to simply forget stuff at my age I think).

Anyone know of cycling mitts with yellow backs?

Thanks - R

PS - good quality, gel padding - I've seen some Pearl Izumi ones on t-internet but its difficult these days to see things "live" so to speak, so any recommendations before I stand in shop queues would be most welcome. Oh, and I don't want to spend more than 20 quid in case I lose them again!
Brompton, Condor Heritage, creaky joints and thinning white (formerly grey) hair
""You know you're getting old when it's easier to ride a bike than to get on and off it" - quote from observant jogger !
Carlton green

Re: Cycling Mitt Recommendations

Post by Carlton green »

It’s easy enough to loose things and occasionally I make the mistake of putting something down somewhere safe and then having my train of thought disrupted. I can’t help directly with the gloves but perhaps my response might help in an indirect way.

It wasn’t always the case but these days my habit is to ‘always’ secure things to my bike or store them in a bag attached to it - even if for a very short time - and to ‘never’ loosely rest things ‘there’ for a moment. So things are automatically stored, ready for retrieval, and at worst misplaced rather than lost. I have also taken to marking potentially elusive items (not just cycling stuff) with with bright tape (electrical insulation tape) or ‘paint’ and that has helped me to find some ‘lost’ items and to not loose others - that system has worked particularly well for me with small garden tools. Other colours might work too but my eye is drawn to added yellow and white markings and the marking materials are exceedingly cheap, durable enough and easy enough to replace when worn.

Good luck with your search. I hope that you find your perfect answer, but if not then I hope that my suggestions are some help to you.
Don’t fret, it’s OK to: ride a simple old bike; ride slowly, walk, rest and admire the view; ride off-road; ride in your raincoat; ride by yourself; ride in the dark; and ride one hundred yards or one hundred miles. Your bike and your choices to suit you.
rmurphy195

Post by rmurphy195 »

Carlton green wrote:It’s easy enough to loose things and occasionally I make the mistake of putting something down somewhere safe and then having my train of thought disrupted. I can’t help directly with the gloves but perhaps my response might help in an indirect way.

It wasn’t always the case but these days my habit is to ‘always’ secure things to my bike or store them in a bag attached to it - even if for a very short time - and to ‘never’ loosely rest things ‘there’ for a moment. So things are automatically stored, ready for retrieval, and at worst misplaced rather than lost. I have also taken to marking potentially elusive items (not just cycling stuff) with with bright tape (electrical insulation tape) or ‘paint’ and that has helped me to find some ‘lost’ items and to not loose others - that system has worked particularly well for me with small garden tools. Other colours might work too but my eye is drawn to added yellow and white markings and the marking materials are exceedingly cheap, durable enough and easy enough to replace when worn.

Good luck with your search. I hope that you find your perfect answer, but if not then I hope that my suggestions are some help to you.

They do, thanks. One of the banes of my life is all-black. Right in front of me there is an HP mini-desktop, across the front (which is black) are slots for cards, USB ports, an earphone socket, and an on-off button (a 1cm x 2mm thing which illuminates when its switched on) - all are black to match the casing so unless the light is on the thing directly I can't find the things! And don't ask aboutn the voltage/current info imprinted on wall-warts! But now I've drifted my own thread. Ho hum.

Stupid thing is I keep an aerolastic on the pannier rack and usually tuck things under this for safekeeping, but sometimes if you are in a hurryy ...
Brompton, Condor Heritage, creaky joints and thinning white (formerly grey) hair
""You know you're getting old when it's easier to ride a bike than to get on and off it" - quote from observant jogger !
9494arnold

Post by 9494arnold »

Perl Imuzi are nice bits of kit BUT I found them a bit on the small side , suppose that's the danger on internet shopping.

I have considered the infant school trick of string up you sleeves but that rather destroys the elite cyclist image !.

Ozzo used to do some nice bright kit but haven't seen them around recently.
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

Some years Aldi mitts are OK, some years not so good. Certainly cheap at under £4.

They do cycle stuff twice a year. Should be due for summer stuff, unless I've missed it.

Lidl, likewise.

I ALWAYS wear gloves, so even after a few seconds I realise that something is missing if I'm not wearing. Never lost any yet, unlike a mate who was a wear sometimes person and did like you.

Edit Just checked Aldi and Lidl websites, it doesn't look like they will doing them anytime soon. Worth keeping an eye out and buying a few pairs if you like them.
9494arnold

Post by 9494arnold »

I've found OZZO: They used to advertise weekly in Cycling Plus ,I don't subscribe anymore :

https://www.inmotionproducts.com/shopdi ... +%26+Mitts
mattsccm

Post by mattsccm »

Put them on the saddle instead in future? :D
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Plus one for many of lidls mitts, tho they do vary.
Polaris sometimes do very cheap mitts in one of their yoyo pricing offers.
Have given up paying more for mitts since a pair of expensive spesh ones fell apart where the gel was contained. My previous spesh ones had been well stitched and lasted years,new ones used some sort of cheapo fusing system. I buy cheap from now on for such things. Aldi has just had a cycling promo but no gloves i think.
Sweep
rmurphy195

Post by rmurphy195 »

Well, I pedalled over to Halfords in Shirley yesterday evg and got myself a pair of these https://www.halfords.com/cycling/cycling-clothing/cycling-gloves/ridge-cycle-mitts-fluro-283302.html?dwvar_283302_colour=Fluro

The signs on the sehlves say that cloving, gloves, etc.are not to be touched (Covid-19 regs)! However a chat with the assistant revealed that yes, I could fish the correct size out from the back of the display, but would have to guess at the size but not put my fingers into the gloves. So the above being ony a tenner, I settled for those to give them a try. Its the same as ordering off the innenet, innit!

Not as well made or as comfy as the Boardmans that I lost,and they feel a bit tight around the thumbs, and I don't think there's quite as much padding on the pressure bits, but for the price they'll do, we'll just have to see how it goes.

Thanks all for your advice.

PS bikes were noticeable by theier absence, lots of empty space
Trigger

Post by Trigger »

I've never worn gloves/mitts, are they worth considering then?
Carlton green

Post by Carlton green »

Trigger wrote:I've never worn gloves/mitts, are they worth considering then?

Except for weather reasons I don’t currently wear gloves/mitts however I have in the past and may well do so in the future. The fingerless type add a small but helpful padding or a shock absorbing layer between my hand and the handlebars and when I’ve fallen off (thankfully a long time since that’s happened) I’ve been very glad of the protective layer between my hand’s skin and the (abrasive) road.
Don’t fret, it’s OK to: ride a simple old bike; ride slowly, walk, rest and admire the view; ride off-road; ride in your raincoat; ride by yourself; ride in the dark; and ride one hundred yards or one hundred miles. Your bike and your choices to suit you.
roubaixtuesday

Post by roubaixtuesday »

Trigger wrote:I've never worn gloves/mitts, are they worth considering then?

Three good reasons to wear:

1. Protection in a fall - your hands are the most vulnerable part of you

2. Allows you to wipe sweat from your brow on hills

3. Some added comfort and grip to handlebars.

Nice, but far from essential IMO.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

rmurphy195 wrote:The signs on the sehlves say that cloving, gloves, etc.are not to be touched (Covid-19 regs)! However a chat with the assistant revealed that yes, I could fish the correct size out from the back of the display, but would have to guess at the size but not put my fingers into the gloves. So the above being ony a tenner, I settled for those to give them a try. Its the same as ordering off the innenet, innit!

I'm in need of new mitts. The ones I have now are/were fantastic but sadly no longer made. I want some in similar quality.

Your statement above, is the sticking point for me. I do NOT want to buy them online because I want to feel them and put them on as cheap ones are terrible.

I bought two pairs of (yellow) ones from Lidl's some time back to be used in an emergency. For the last dozen rides I've worn them, and wore them out! :shock:
They were also not very comfortable, so I've gone back to my old and tiring good ones. They won't last the summer methinks.

As far as I know Evans will allow you into their shops and give you latex gloves to wear. This means that you could try cycling mitts on ................... I think.

I'm going to get in touch with them to see if I can.

https://www.evanscycles.com/store/plymouth
No5 says "5. When sizing or purchasing a bike we may ask you to wear gloves."

Does this mean when sizing AND purchasing a bike, or when sizing (anything) ..................... OR purchasing a bike?

I need to ask, as I do not want to buy blind.
Mick F. Cornwall
rmurphy195

Post by rmurphy195 »

I'd say that no. 5 refers to wearing gloves if you are handling a bike! (I do when O go shopping, I don't want to leave anything on products, nor do I want to pick up anything that someone else has left on a product, and no way am I going to scratch my nose when I'm wearing a latex glove!)

I don't think that wearing a latex glove - or any other sort or that matter - to try on a glove will give the required result - the latex glove will stick like hell to the mitt that you are trying on!

My £10 cheapies will do fo now, they offer a bit more padding to my hands when riding, I don't expect them to last very long.
oneten

Post by oneten »

Carlton green wrote:It’s easy enough to loose things and occasionally I make the mistake of putting something down somewhere safe and then having my train of thought disrupted. I can’t help directly with the gloves but perhaps my response might help in an indirect way.

It wasn’t always the case but these days my habit is to ‘always’ secure things to y bike or store them in a bag attached to it - even if for a very short time - and to ‘never’ loosely rest things ‘there’ for a moment. S

Good advice! A few years ago, when riding with a group of German and Austrian cyclists visiting the UK, one of them asked if I could take a group photo using one of their SLR cameras. I needed to remove my glasses to look through the eye piece. Everyone smiled as the camera clicked then off we all rode. It was only about 20 miles later when looking at a menu when we had stopped for a snack, that I realised I didn't have my glasses. It then dawned on me - I'd rested them on the rear rack of my bike to take the photo. They were quite an expensive pair as well. On the way home I back-tracked to the spot where I took the photo to look in the long grass but couldn't find them. So easily done when distracted but an expensive mistake ( the replacement pair were NHS specials).