Is your phone too big for your bike?

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
atoz

Is your phone too big for your bike?

Post by atoz »

As my ancient Samsung sIII mini finally gave up the ghost I had to invest in a phone that does not need it's own trailer to transport it in. That meant 2 choices, either an iPhone or a Sony Xperia conpact. As I am an android person it had to be a s/h Xperia X as the current Xperia compact is silly money.

Most current phones are just too big. My brother is a self employed builder and he has an iPhone for the same reason, the big phones are just too easy to damage and are not as practical.

Would be nice if the phone manufacturers woke up to this. See https://www.androidauthority.com/phones ... g-1101728/
mattsccm

Re: Is your phone too big for your bike?

Post by mattsccm »

Buy an older one with out all the gizzmos. Last one I bought, admittedly about 4 years ago was a tenner. New. Did have to buy a tenners worth of credit as well but as that did me for 2 years I could live with it.
pwa

Post by pwa »

I have a nice cheap Moto phone that slides perfectly into the back pocket of my Carradice rack top bag, along with my wallet. As far as I can see it is a normal sized phone and it does everything I want it to (which isn't much because phones don't interest me) and I haven't experienced any problem.

I find the trend towards larger and larger phones amusing because I remember a time when mobile phones were getting smaller and smaller and the more you paid, the smaller your phone would be. The term "brick" was applied to phones that were deemed too large. Now they seem to be heading up to tablet size. :lol:
Pendodave

Post by Pendodave »

Just got myself a samsung a3 2017 for cycling.
Small, decent enough and a measure of water/dirt resistance.
2nd hand on ebay for £55. Often sold pretty much unused when people got them as part of a contract.
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

If form-factor is the deciding criterium, then the latest SE is very well reviewed, here...
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
Stradageek

Post by Stradageek »

Luddites rule ok, 55 years cycling without a mobile phone so why do I need one now?

Sad admission; my wife has insisted I carry one (the oldest and smallest possible) because I once nearly missed a visit from my hermit like brother who turns up unexpectedly every 5-10yrs, I was out riding
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

Have a look at the Motorola Moto range. I started with a Moto E, very compact. Currently have a Moto G5s, pretty compact with a nice metal case. Refurbished around £75

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
atoz

Post by atoz »

Stradageek wrote:Luddites rule ok, 55 years cycling without a mobile phone so why do I need one now?

Sad admission; my wife has insisted I carry one (the oldest and smallest possible) because I once nearly missed a visit from my hermit like brother who turns up unexpectedly every 5-10yrs, I was out riding

Apart from the obvious safety and convenience reasons, in my case it's being able in large part to dispense with paper maps when out. There's a lot to be said for offline mapping software with GPS. My OS paper maps now tend to live at home for route planning.
tatanab

Post by tatanab »

Stradageek wrote:Luddites rule ok, 55 years cycling without a mobile phone so why do I need one now?
Exactly. I am told I should carry one in case of mishap; to which I reply "if everybody has a phone, why do I need one? Somebody will be along in a while". Having said that, I have a tiny flip top non smart phone which gets used when on tour because of lack of public phones these days. I charge just before going on tour and still have much of the £20 credit I bought about 7 years ago.

I even know of some supposedly rufty tufty (in their mind) MTB riders who will not venture into certain places because there is no phone signal.
atoz

Post by atoz »

al_yrpal wrote:Have a look at the Motorola Moto range. I started with a Moto E, very compact. Currently have a Moto G5s, pretty compact with a nice metal case. Refurbished around £75

Al

Actually have the Moto G7 play for home work use, great phone at bargain price, just that bit too big if you have a Carradice saddle bag with side pockets that give extra protection- my old phone survived an RTA and falling over on a train for this reason. Use the Moto for videoconferencing so dare not take it on the bike until the pandemic is over.
Trigger

Post by Trigger »

I still use candles, we managed ages without this here bloody electric light contraption :lol:

I have a modern sized phone and it fits fine in the back pocket of my jersey, it goes in length ways and the pocket grips it so it doesn't jump out etc. never really had a problem.
Cyclone

Post by Cyclone »

After my phone bit the dust on a recent ride I bought a new iPhone SE, not cheap but significantly cheaper than the other iPhones and no larger than my previous phone.

IMG_0011.JPG
freeflow

Post by freeflow »

I have the biggest phone I can strap on the handlebars. A Xiaomi Mi Max 3 with a 6.9 inch screen and I absolutely love it. It has a minimalist holder of this type

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bicycle-Bike ... Sw8Z5evmXh

and only requires a Mk1 plastic bag to protect it should there be rain.
rmurphy195

Post by rmurphy195 »

I'm still using a Nokia 7230 (with keypad and a slidiung front) that I bought 10 years ago.

If anyone knows of a smartphone (so I can have a play) with similar dimensions and with a built-in way of protecting the screen, I'd love to have a look.

Well, you can dream can't you!
Brompton, Condor Heritage, creaky joints and thinning white (formerly grey) hair
""You know you're getting old when it's easier to ride a bike than to get on and off it" - quote from observant jogger !
mattsccm

Post by mattsccm »

I'm with stradageek. We managed for umpteen thousand years so I reckon that I can.