Current Riding Situation.

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
arnsider

Re: Current Riding Situation.

Post by arnsider »

The day I have to go to the expense and hassle of riding everywhere on film is the day I stop cycling.
Granted, film footage is useful in conflicts, but some cyclists are taking things far too far.
You Tube is littered with short clips of cyclists getting into spats with drivers, careering along, far too close to the culprits vehicle, shouting their threepence worth of abuse and bombast, then expecting the police to view them as paragons of road safety.
Riding with a head cam is tantramount to looking for trouble. Drivers are fly for this indeed London taxi drivers see it as sport.
My counsel would be to stay clear of cameras, unless of course your trying to sell them as I suspect some of the contributors here are.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Oldjohnw wrote:One says make eye contact and one says don't.

I wonder why no eye contact?

I have explained this before elsewhere, never trust a morton! Avoiding eye contact could keep them guessing, might be worth weaving a bit, then a half-intelligent driver would assume one was drunk and be especially careful
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
fastpedaller

Post by fastpedaller »

I always try to get eye contact, maybe to give 'confidence' they have seen me, but also because I consider they then see me as a person, rather than 'just a bike'
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Me too.

Jonathan
mjr

Post by mjr »

Grandad wrote:
Although it says “Helmet Cam” it can be mounted on the handlebars.

Will doing this create a less steady picture?

That depends on how much vibration reaches your handlebars, how much the mount you use damps it (my original U-clamp one was rubbish, but the ball-based one I use now is better) and how much your helmet wobbles. All you need to do is reduce it enough to be within range of the camera image-stabilisation.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
xerxes

Post by xerxes »

Golflad wrote: we moved out to observe the 2 metre distancing

That is totally unnecessary. There is next to zero chance of passing on or catching virus from such a fleeting 'contact' .

The same applies to pedestrians who step off the pavement into the road when passing other pedestrians. Very dangerous. But if getting too close still worries you then just take a deep breath and hold it for few seconds until you're well past them.
mjr

Post by mjr »

xerxes wrote:

That is totally unnecessary. There is next to zero chance of passing on or catching virus from such a fleeting 'contact' .

The same applies to pedestrians who step off the pavement into the road when passing other pedestrians. Very dangerous. But if getting too close still worries you then just take a deep breath and hold it for few seconds until you're well past them.

Far from "totally unnecessary", a cyclist should not be passing within 2m of a walker when there's another option, even in normal times!

And I'm still moving into the road when possible because there is a high risk some walkers will fall into the drain (the local name for a ditch, dyke, rhyne...) rather than have me pass slow within 2m of them. It's not dangerous if you look before you move and the road is clear.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
rmurphy195

Post by rmurphy195 »

mjr wrote:
xerxes wrote:

Far from "totally unnecessary", a cyclist should not be passing within 2m of a walker when there's another option, even in normal times!

And I'm still moving into the road when possible because there is a high risk some walkers will fall into the drain (the local name for a ditch, dyke, rhyne...) rather than have me pass slow within 2m of them. It's not dangerous if you look before you move and the road is clear.

Totally agree, social distancing is all about reducing the risk for you and others, whether or not you feel there's very little risk, that may not be the case for people you are passing. (After all a walker might sneeze just as you go past brushing shoulders). And "wide and slow" around walkers when you are riding is what you should be doing in any case - after all, its what I would expect to give cyclists (and walkers) when I'm driving. Helps maintain your observation and anticipation skills which are all-important!
Brompton, Condor Heritage, creaky joints and thinning white (formerly grey) hair
""You know you're getting old when it's easier to ride a bike than to get on and off it" - quote from observant jogger !
mjr

Post by mjr »

rmurphy195 wrote:And "wide and slow" around walkers when you are riding is what you should be doing in any case - after all, its what I would expect to give cyclists (and walkers) when I'm driving.

Wide or slow, surely? If they're 7m wide of me, I don't much care if they're doing 30mph, but if they're within 2m, then jogging speed maximum, please!