Just one of those days

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
NATURAL ANKLING

Re: Just one of those days

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
rmurphy195 wrote:My goodness, what controversy I seem to have stirred up - hostility yet! Maybe I edited the video too closely, so here's a couple of clarifications

Incident #2 - the roads over the dam are very narrow, with on that section pedestrian refuges about 2m long by 1m wide and an entrance to the footpath around the lake on the left, which is where most of the pedestrians were - so I rode on the right, past some pedestrians with a couple of other cyclists a few yards behind me (the ones the white van is squeezing past). A couple of stills to illustrate this follow. Realistically to pass a vehicle even of the size of the red car earlier than where I moved to the left means stopping with your wheels against the kerb, and leaning away from the car so as not to scratch the paint with your pedal, so this really is a place to assert one's road position. (The mike didn't pick up the stream of invective from the driver!)

Grabbed Frame 1.jpg

Incident one, not many of us are arguing against you at all.
Incident two-
"Looking over your shoulder" is maybe why you did not move over quicker?
"Looking over your shoulder" is maybe why you did not move over quicker?

The road looks wide enough that you should of been far left?
The road looks wide enough that you should of been far left?

The car is moving slowly here
The car is moving slowly here

Incident three, thats borderline.......................but to be expected from your modern lazy driver..........we make allowances that the cyclist has to do what is best for survival...................the driver left it too late for sure.............what does the highway code say..........you have priority

P.S. I always say we survive to live another day :)
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
mikeymo

Post by mikeymo »

NATURAL ANKLING wrote:Hi,
rmurphy195 wrote:My goodness, what controversy I seem to have stirred up - hostility yet! Maybe I edited the video too closely, so here's a couple of clarifications

Incident #2 - the roads over the dam are very narrow, with on that section pedestrian refuges about 2m long by 1m wide and an entrance to the footpath around the lake on the left, which is where most of the pedestrians were - so I rode on the right, past some pedestrians with a couple of other cyclists a few yards behind me (the ones the white van is squeezing past). A couple of stills to illustrate this follow. Realistically to pass a vehicle even of the size of the red car earlier than where I moved to the left means stopping with your wheels against the kerb, and leaning away from the car so as not to scratch the paint with your pedal, so this really is a place to assert one's road position. (The mike didn't pick up the stream of invective from the driver!)

Grabbed Frame 1.jpg

Incident one, not many of us are arguing against you at all.
Incident two-
2020-06-17_170522.jpg
2020-06-17_170612.jpg
2020-06-17_171255.jpg

I'm non plussed by this. The red car is on their side of the road. There's plenty of room to get past them, but the cyclist seems determined to cycle in the middle of the road. I can't see that the driver of the red car is doing anything wrong, to be honest.
rmurphy195

Post by rmurphy195 »

mikeymo wrote:
I'm non plussed by this. The red car is on their side of the road. There's plenty of room to get past them, but the cyclist seems determined to cycle in the middle of the road. I can't see that the driver of the red car is doing anything wrong, to be honest.

Where I am the road is much narrower, it widens out where the car is
Brompton, Condor Heritage, creaky joints and thinning white (formerly grey) hair
""You know you're getting old when it's easier to ride a bike than to get on and off it" - quote from observant jogger !
philg

Post by philg »

What do you think the red car did wrong? I'm also confused.
What should he have done instead?

Bike v Car it's 1 all with one drawn IMHO
The weekend comes, my cycle hums
mikeymo

Post by mikeymo »

rmurphy195 wrote:
mikeymo wrote:

OK, so that gap, next to the red car, you can cycle through that, can't you? What am I missing? You seem to be implying there's something wrong with the red car's driver's driving. What's the problem?

I'd look at the video again, but somebody seems to have made it private now, for some reason.
alexnharvey

Post by alexnharvey »

The red car needs to wait, it is a single lane.
philg

Post by philg »

alexnharvey wrote:The red car needs to wait, it is a single lane.

Well clearly not since once the cyclist remembered the bit in the HC about keeping to the left, he went past comfortably.

It looks to me like he decided in advance that the car should stop for him and tried to play chicken with predictable results

Another unnecessary conflict doing the rest of us no favours, IMO
The weekend comes, my cycle hums
mikeymo

Post by mikeymo »

philg wrote:

Well clearly not since once the cyclist remembered the bit in the HC about keeping to the left, he went past comfortably.

It looks to me like he decided in advance that the car should stop for him and tried to play chicken with predictable results

Interesting that the video he originally posted has now been made private.
mikeymo

Post by mikeymo »

rmurphy195 wrote:
mikeymo wrote:

Yes, it widens out where the car is, and where there is room for a cyclist to pass.
alexnharvey

Post by alexnharvey »

philg wrote:

As other point out, the road widens. If it is not sufficiently wide one ought to take the centre otherwise the motorist will squeeze you into the gutter.
D363

Post by D363 »

mikeymo wrote:

It's not - he bungled the first link, which was always private, then reposted it properly, which is still public.
mikeymo

Post by mikeymo »

D363 wrote:
mikeymo wrote:

It's not - he bungled the first link, which was always private, then reposted it properly, which is still public.

Ah, I see, thanks.