Is your phone too big for your bike?

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
mjr

Re: Is your phone too big for your bike?

Post by mjr »

atoz wrote:
Stradageek wrote:Luddites rule ok, 55 years cycling without a mobile phone so why do I need one now? [...]

Apart from the obvious safety and convenience reasons, in my case it's being able in large part to dispense with paper maps when out. There's a lot to be said for offline mapping software with GPS. My OS paper maps now tend to live at home for route planning.

My latest phone (a Redmi 7A) has also removed the need for me to copy things to the bike music system. It has enough memory on it to sync from the internet at home, store it and then play out over bluetooth from the saddlebag.

But the main reason is it still allows me to go out cycling while I'm on-call for work.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
cyclop

Post by cyclop »

Stradageek wrote:Luddites rule ok, 55 years cycling without a mobile phone so why do I need one now?

Sad admission; my wife has insisted I carry one (the oldest and smallest possible) because I once nearly missed a visit from my hermit like brother who turns up unexpectedly every 5-10yrs, I was out riding

I thought the same until,25yrs ago whilst on a winter ride on the side roads near Kendal,my pal broke his femur having come off on ice.No car for 15-20mins,hence I,ve always carried one,currently a Cubot King Kong mini,v.small by todays standards.
scottg

Post by scottg »

Stradageek wrote:Luddites rule ok, 55 years cycling without a mobile phone so why do I need one now?

Do you ride pneumatic tyres ?, do you have speed gears on your cycle ?
If so you, you don't qualify for the "Loyal Order of Luddites" aka the LOL. :)
+++++++++++++++++++++++++
Deutsche Luftschiffahrts-AG
+++++++++++++++++++++++++
Postboxer

Post by Postboxer »

I was searching for something the other day and came across my old mobiles, they used to be more fun, now they all look the same. I had a walkman one, ones with slidy bits, flipping bits, fold out keyboards, slides and rotating dials to uncover the lens and start up the camera. Now they are all just flat rectangles, with few buttons. On the plus side, I always found the buttons to be one of the first things to break and so far seem to be quite good at not cracking screens. My wife was upset that her new phone she had only had for a few months seemed to start spontaneously cracking. After being sad and watching it slowly spread for several months, we realised it was only the screen protector cracking and the actual phone was fine. We were both very glad we hadn't taken it to a shop for repair, that would have been very embarrassing.
I always take a phone so I can log on strava that I've been and find out where I am when I'm lost. Passed the same lady three times in quick succession the other day as I repeated a small loop once I figured out where I needed to be and she had gone around once the other way. Also need it when the kids are in school in case there are any problems and I have to rush back, although there are times when I won't be able to get there much quicker.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

Cyclone wrote:After my phone bit the dust on a recent ride I bought a new iPhone SE, not cheap but significantly cheaper than the other iPhones and no larger than my previous phone.

IMG_0011.JPG

is that the new one? then you were done :lol:
Cyclone

Post by Cyclone »

mercalia wrote:
Cyclone wrote:After my phone bit the dust on a recent ride I bought a new iPhone SE, not cheap but significantly cheaper than the other iPhones and no larger than my previous phone.

IMG_0011.JPG

is that the new one? then you were done :lol:

Haha! It’s the distressed look that’s so popular nowadays!
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

atoz wrote:

Sad admission; my wife has insisted I carry one (the oldest and smallest possible) because I once nearly missed a visit from my hermit like brother who turns up unexpectedly every 5-10yrs, I was out riding

Apart from the obvious safety and convenience reasons, in my case it's being able in large part to dispense with paper maps when out. There's a lot to be said for offline mapping software with GPS. My OS paper maps now tend to live at home for route planning.

I use a 7 inch tablet with osmand for that if on long exploring day rides. Handy for marking things i plan to visit. On the bike when riding i use garmin.
As an emergency phone i use a great nonsmart samsung phone. So good i bought another second hand for a tenner. Spare batteries for a fiver or less will be available for the rest of my life.
Sweep
freiston

Post by freiston »

You confused me for a bit then - I misread your username as "Stravageek" :wink: :lol:

Modern smart phones are so much more than a phone though - and one device can do several tasks better than what we used to use (if so inclined) for those tasks - and it's less kit to carry. For instance, my smart phone replaces the CTC Handbook, which is a bit out of date now :wink:, I did take paper maps on my last cycle-camping trip but hardly touched them because the phone was easier to use (With Osmand - no phone signal required). Plus I have about three weeks of music on the phone so I can listen to what takes my fancy (no phone signal required) and it has an FM radio built in (no phone signal required). I can charge it up via a powerbank from my dynamo too :)

I don't have Strava on it 8)
Disclaimer: Treat what I say with caution and if possible, wait for someone with more knowledge and experience to contribute. ;)
Stradageek

Post by Stradageek »

I must admit that mapping is the one function for which I can see a benefit - but then again my current technique (memorise the approximate route the night before and leave the rest to chance) has yielded much more fascinating rides, less focused on the destination more on the ride itself.

On which note (excuse the pun to follow) and in a typical thread drift, your post suggest you listen to music when you ride, I just couldn't do this, not so much for the danger (I see with my ears) but because of all the sounds of the countryside that are so much of the reason I cycle.

On the other hand listening to the radio in the tent of an evening I can understand :D

Happy cycling

Strada (definitely not Strava) Geek
Pebble

Post by Pebble »

Postboxer wrote:I was searching for something the other day and came across my old mobiles, they used to be more fun, now they all look the same. I had a walkman one, ones with slidy bits, flipping bits, fold out keyboards, slides and rotating dials to uncover the lens and start up the camera. Now they are all just flat rectangles, with few buttons. On the plus side, I always found the buttons to be one of the first things to break and so far seem to be quite good at not cracking screens. My wife was upset that her new phone she had only had for a few months seemed to start spontaneously cracking. After being sad and watching it slowly spread for several months, we realised it was only the screen protector cracking and the actual phone was fine. We were both very glad we hadn't taken it to a shop for repair, that would have been very embarrassing.
I always take a phone so I can log on strava that I've been and find out where I am when I'm lost. Passed the same lady three times in quick succession the other day as I repeated a small loop once I figured out where I needed to be and she had gone around once the other way. Also need it when the kids are in school in case there are any problems and I have to rush back, although there are times when I won't be able to get there much quicker.

Other people can follow and track you if you have one of these i-phone things ? that sounds a bit disturbing.

I have an old style phone that just does phone and texts, it is handy to have so as I can text the wife if I decide to extend the ride to say I will be back later. I do keep it switched off all of the time and presume I can't be tracked when its off?

Have also found it reassuring having it with me during lockdown, if in the event of serious mechanicals I would not be able to knock on someones door and say "Can I use your phone" and also not much hope at the moment in hitching a ride (with front wheel in hand I would normally hope a car driven by a fellow cyclist would stop, it worked once for me a few years back)
robing

Post by robing »

I specifically bought a Sony XZ1 Compact so it would fit in my topeak compact handlebar bag :D
It's no lightweight in terms of performance though, been an outstanding phone had it 2 years now.
freiston

Post by freiston »

Stradageek wrote:I must admit that mapping is the one function for which I can see a benefit - but then again my current technique (memorise the approximate route the night before and leave the rest to chance) has yielded much more fascinating rides, less focused on the destination more on the ride itself.

On which note (excuse the pun to follow) and in a typical thread drift, your post suggest you listen to music when you ride, I just couldn't do this, not so much for the danger (I see with my ears) but because of all the sounds of the countryside that are so much of the reason I cycle.

On the other hand listening to the radio in the tent of an evening I can understand :D

Happy cycling

I listen to the music when in my tent - :) Whilst cycling or walking, the only music I listen to is the earworm in my head (and occasionally someone will drive by who thinks that everyone will be so impressed and in awe of their terrible musical taste that they drive with their windows down to make sure everybody can hear it, even in winter).
Disclaimer: Treat what I say with caution and if possible, wait for someone with more knowledge and experience to contribute. ;)
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

Stradageek wrote:I must admit that mapping is the one function for which I can see a benefit - but then again my current technique (memorise the approximate route the night before and leave the rest to chance) has yielded much more fascinating rides, less focused on the destination more on the ride itself.

Happy cycling

do many smartphones have FM radios built in anymore?
freiston

Post by freiston »

mercalia wrote:do many smartphones have FM radios built in anymore?
Here's 10 for starters (though the article is 14 months old):

https://techviral.net/fm-radio-smartphones-you-can-buy/

I have a Samsung A8 which is on the list.
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

..................not to mention too heavy.

The website GSMarena review most phones and start off with a very detailed standard spec of each phone, which makes finding the size and weight easy. You can also put in multiple models to do a side by side comparison. When I chose my latest phone, the size and weight were important factors.