Any experience of the CINELLI Hobootleg Easy Travel Bike -

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
oneten

Any experience of the CINELLI Hobootleg Easy Travel Bike -

Post by oneten »

I have been considering various new touring bike options and wonder if anyone has had experience of the Cinelli mentioned in the title. Reading the spec, the range of gears seems OK and the only downside seems to be that it lacks disc brakes. It claims to be rugged and capable of carrying a bit of weight. https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/FBCINHBL/ ... -sora-bike

Regrettably,I've had to rule out the Surley Long Haul Trucker due to only being available in 26'' wheel size in my medium frame size. The Dawes Ultra Galaxy seem a reasonable option but they seem to be out of stock everywhere.
Another one I'm drooling over is the Genesis Tour de Fer, a bit pricier that the Cinelli but with a good reputation.

I must admit, I'm finding it quite difficult to decide on which will be best for everyday use and a couple of laded camping tours each year ( once restrictions are lifted). I have considered buying secondhand but I have never had a completely new bike with a warranty and really would like to go for something strong, tried and tested and not ridiculously expensive.

Again, thanks for any advice or comments especially with regards to the Cinelli.
slowster

Re: Any experience of the CINELLI Hobootleg Easy Travel Bike -

Post by slowster »

Most touring bikes intended for touring with loaded panniers take 135mm OLN rear hubs, i.e. the traditional MTB hub spacing. The Hobootleg is very unusual in using the road race bike standard of 130mm OLN. That would automatically disqualify it for me for loaded touring, given that the rear wheel would be significantly weaker than a comparable wheel with a 135mm OLN hub.

The Tour de Fer would be a much better choice IMO. Another option would be the Spa Wayfarer.
whoof

Post by whoof »

There are Salsa Vaya and Casserole in about medium size in the for sale section on here.
Both about the cost of the Cinelli.
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

oneten wrote:...Regrettably,I've had to rule out the Surley Long Haul Trucker due to only being available in 26'' wheel size in my medium frame size....

eh? 700C wheeled surly LHT is available in sizes 56cm up. Remember this frame has a horizontal top tube you shouldn't size it like a 'compact' frame; 56cm would be about right for anyone 5'-7" or a touch over. Many manufacturers would call that medium in terms of the people it fits; the top tube on this frame is also ~56cm.

FWIW the cinelli appears to have a shorter top tube (ETT) in the M size (which is 'only' 53cm because of its sloping top tube), but it also has a steeper seat angle, so there is only about half an inch in it, in real terms.

cheers
Last edited by Brucey on 18 Jun 2020, 7:00pm, edited 1 time in total.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

slowster wrote:Most touring bikes intended for touring with loaded panniers take 135mm OLN rear hubs, i.e. the traditional MTB hub spacing. The Hobootleg is very unusual in using the road race bike standard of 130mm OLN. That would automatically disqualify it for me for loaded touring, given that the rear wheel would be significantly weaker than a comparable wheel with a 135mm OLN hub.

The Tour de Fer would be a much better choice IMO. Another option would be the Spa Wayfarer.

How significantly though? Given that 130s were all we had bitd and I got along OK with the kitchen sink and some :D
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

Bonefishblues wrote: ...Given that 130s were all we had bitd ….

which day was that? 130mm OLN 7s has about the same dish as 135mm OLN 8s. 135mm OLN 7s is better than either, of course.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

whoof wrote:There are Salsa Vaya and Casserole in about medium size in the for sale section on here.

Both those bikes are considerably cheaper than the Cinelli,the Vaya is an excellent touring mount.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Brucey wrote:

which day was that? 130mm OLN 7s has about the same dish as 135mm OLN 8s. 135mm OLN 7s is better than either, of course.

cheers

IIRC I ran a 14 (or was it 13?)-28 Shimano Ultra 6 with a TA Triple 26-36-46. The hub was a Maxicar Hi-Lo 40H on a Super Champ 27" rim.

Not bad memory for the terminally befuddled (It was about 1985 or so) :D
Shreds

Post by Shreds »

Personally the Cinelli spec (and pedigree) would be my choice. Cinelli bits have been on my bike for years and are ultra reliable and work well. Its a well respected name, and more likely to assist if you ever sell on and upgrade?
whoof

Post by whoof »

reohn2 wrote:
whoof wrote:There are Salsa Vaya and Casserole in about medium size in the for sale section on here.

Both those bikes are considerably cheaper than the Cinelli,the Vaya is an excellent touring mount.

Somehow the word half disappeared from between the words "about" and "the"!
Shreds

Post by Shreds »

IIRC I ran a 14 (or was it 13?)-28 Shimano Ultra 6 with a TA Triple 26-36-46. The hub was a Maxicar Hi-Lo 40H on a Super Champ 27" rim.

TA cranks etc are great and are perfect for touring. Chainrings are pretty good too but like all things mechanical do wear after many years. You talk about 1985 as being ancient.....one of my bikes is slightly older and still going strong, being in constant service all that time!

(Shimano do seem to build obsolescence into their kit though).
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Shreds wrote:

TA cranks etc are great and are perfect for touring. Chainrings are pretty good too but like all things mechanical do wear after many years. You talk about 1985 as being ancient.....one of my bikes is slightly older and still going strong, being in constant service all that time!

(Shimano do seem to build obsolescence into their kit though).

I dearly wish I had kept it, but regrets, we all have a few.
slowster

Post by slowster »

Bonefishblues wrote:
Brucey wrote:

cheers

I would have expected that to be 126mm OLN. I note you were using a 40 hole hub, which produced a stronger wheel than the standard 36 hole set up, so 'all you had BITD' was in fact a bit special, possibly more so if the wheel was built by a very good wheelbuilder.

With regards to your question of how significantly weaker, I don't know how much more probable it would be that a rider of a given weight with Xkg of luggage would experience spoke breakages on a 130mm hub, but just as you reduced the risk of spoke breakages by choosing a Maxicar Hi-Lo 40 hole hub then, I think it makes similar sense now to choose a tourer that has a 135mm rear hub.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

whoof wrote:
reohn2 wrote:

Somehow the word half disappeared from between the words "about" and "the"!

Understood :wink:
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
oneten

Post by oneten »

Certainly lots to think about from the above posts - thanks everyone. It never occurred to me about the smaller hub width/ chain stay width; my Dean frame is a mere 127mm and the original wheel did have a few spokes break on the drive train side. Hasn't happened (yet) on the beefier wheels built by Harry Rowland.

The two bikes in the sale section look nice and are reasonably priced.
A Tour der Fer would be great but pricier. I am a bit unclear about the situation with the Surley LHT though Brucey, I think it actually is available in smaller frame sizes with 700c wheels; I think it might have been because Spa cycles only list the sizes they stock. I'm 5' 7'' tall but of the longer body / shorter leg type build and another reason of wanting to change my bike is that the stand over height of the Dean is quite high and the level top tube gives no respite, unlike the more modern geometry where the top tube slopes back.
The Spa Wayfarer also looks a good option but since reading a few negative posts about Spa frames and particularly the headset bearings, it has - rightly or probably wrongly - put me off.
Thanks again everyone - there's so much choice and it's not an easy decision.