Introductions - tell us about yourself

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
StroggCore

Re: Introductions - tell us about yourself

Post by StroggCore »

Hello, my name is Anthony and I'm bisycling enthusiast. Right now I'm stuck in Chicago at my uncle's because of quarantine. I'm here for 2 months and my bike... well, it's in Glasgow now, where I'm originaly from. I didn't think that they will close the borders. I was going to be here only for a week. Hope all of this will end soon.
harry5NR

Post by harry5NR »

Hi there, I'm Harry. And I love everything, which can be related to bycicles.
Briarej

Post by Briarej »

Hello everyone!
I'm John and I miss my bicycle because of the quarantine. At least, a can talk about it here.
Besides bicycles, I like swimming, fishing, and hiking.
Nice to meet you all here. Have a great day and stay safe!
Not all those who wander are lost.
bluelagos

Post by bluelagos »

Hi guys.

Name Nick
Retired

Only been riding a few months mainly on a MtB. Just got onto the road with a second hand Boardman. Training for a Sept LeJog assuming it is ok to go.

Currently knocking out 5 or 6 30 milers a week as I try and build up for the big one (put a thread up elsewhere)

Aside from pushbikes I love footie, motorbiking, travel and hiking. The Blue is cos I support Ipswich, the Lagos was where I lived and worked for 8 years.

Cheers
Clouded Leopard

Post by Clouded Leopard »

Hi to all

Known as Mike and reside in the Burnley area of The Red Rose County. Last time on a cycle was 1985 so a return to the pastime was inevitable. Aged rather young at 71and recovered from a three and one half years medical problem. It follows that I am unfit. I am currently able to manage a round trip of one or two miles on a friends old cycle but I am building up stamina by walking uphill each day and then turning my attention to cycle training and purchasing a cycle in about 6 weeks. It takes time.

Away from cycling main interest centres around photography. However my Olympus OM 1 has died and I am finding it difficult to source another.
When the earth becomes sick the animals will begin to die. When that happens The Warriors of the Rainbow will come to save them.
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Welcome clouded.
Keep at it - you'll be over the hill (pendle) in no time.
Some fine cycling your way.
(Or if you fancy the flat i can recommend the train from burnley to blackpool and a traffic free ride on the endless prom from fleetwood almost to st annes)
Sweep
OllyB

Post by OllyB »

Hello, Im based in Hampshire and have been a member of CyclingUK/CTC for many years. I currently have three bikes in regular use, a Spa Audax, a Moulton TSR and a newly acquired Cannondale bike (brilliant for the steep roads that we do actually have in Hampshire!!). I ride with a group of friends (when we were able to) all of whom are members of Cycling UK and we mainly do day rides around Hampshire and West Sussex. We usually have a tour in France most years (cancelled!) and I also ride with a local group of Moulton riders, again we do day rides and also usually have a tour in France (cancelled!!). I have been a follower of the forum for many years, often getting really useful information, so thought it was about time I contributed rather than observed!!
jetpilot

Post by jetpilot »

My name is Eduard, based in London. I have been cycling for many years now and recently moved to the UK. I am an avid mountain biker but like all disciplines including bike touring, road racing, bmx, trials. I am a bike addict you might say
Pendodave

Post by Pendodave »

Hi there,
I'm a "new or returning" cyclist. Still not entirely sure if this is allowed...
Am old enough (mid 50s) to have spent most of my youth cycling about on a Carlton Continental because there was no other way of getting to school/footy/cricket/life in general. Sadly, chucked that away in the several years that have passed since then.
Out of curiosity, I've done a couple of trips on hired bikes around the Hebrides over the last few years and enjoyed them enormously. I've always hiked/camped but was really impressed by how much joy is to be had by moving a little faster.
During recent months I've spend a bit of time cycling to get out of the house on an old hybrid I used for commuting way back. Enjoyed it enough that, combined with previous experiences, I decided to get a bike which was a little lighter and faster and suitable for the mythical fast/light touring... Sadly, I'm still waiting at the aisle to be allowed out for long enough to do it...
Colin Grigson

Post by Colin Grigson »

Hi all,
Thank you for having me :D
I’m mid 50’s , in my youth I built Claud Butler/ Holdsworth bikes and rode lots, joined the Army and then discovered beer and girls ... well things have gone full circle as they tend to, I now find myself back to cycling. I recently bought a S/H Pinarello Dogma 2, donned a shirt I’d kept for years on the off chance of cycling again, and I’ve covered a few hundred kms ... living in Bratislava.
I’m looking forward to getting to grips with the basics of the technicalities - which have changed beyond my comprehension at first glance :shock:
Happy pedalling!
Best
Mark
Stroudy

Post by Stroudy »

Hi from me. Been reading the forums for years. Decided to join today. 57 years old. Been cycling all my life. MTBs mainly a few years ago, then road bikes (still have one of each), now mainly utility bikes (hybrid/trekking bikes). Love learning from the forums and maintaining my own bikes. Look forward to chatting with you. Stroudy.
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

Welcome

Toby, Gew, Anthony, Harry, John, Nick, Mike, Clouded, Olly, Eduard, Dave, Mark and Stroudy.

You'll find a mostly friendly resourceful group of people here as I did.
I am here. Where are you?
p0stscript

Post by p0stscript »

My name is Paul, few weeks off my 60th birthday, I have been retired for three years and unfortunately had a motorcycle (scooter) accident in the first year resulting in a year in and out of hospital and six months of physiotherapy, resulting in putting on weight and losing a lot of muscle therefore finding it difficult to climb and run easily (climbing and running being my previous fitness hobbies). During lockdown my son, a keen cyclist, encouraged me to buy a road bike and go out three or four times a week with him. Therefore for the first time since 1969 I'm cycling and enjoying nearly every moment. In the four weeks I've already lost weight and increased my power, hills are still interesting but I no longer run out of gears and have dog walkers overtaking me, and general riding is becoming easier. A local club has gentle rides ( or will have once restrictions are eased) which they state never take riders more than 14 - 16 mph, one of my goals is to get up to this average speed so I can join them on their "gentle" rides, my other goal is to build up distance to 50 miles. I hope to pick up a lot tips and may probably ask very simple questions at times , mostly though I'll be lurking and reading past messages to help me improve.
Safe riding
Chainslapper

Post by Chainslapper »

Hi - thanks for letting me join the Forum. My name is Martin. Had bikes of various types most of my life and can boast the usual hard luck stories - getting them Robbed, being knocked off by hit-and-run drivers on false plates etc. Used them mostly to commute to and from work and then it became impractical so my bike days seemed to be over - until three health scares in six months (which all thankfully turned out to be false alarms) made me think perhaps it might be wise to get back in the saddle. So I bought myself a beautiful Bianchi Via Nirone on the “Cycle to work” scheme. To cut a slightly longer story short I followed that up with a second hand Trek which is kind of my winter bike but I’m so glad I jumped back on because I’m enjoying my riding more than ever as it’s probably the first recreational riding I’ve done since I was a schoolboy. I’ll never be a Bradley or Chris or Geraint but I will be happy in the saddle - and that’s good enough for me. :)
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

p0stscript wrote:My name is Paul, few weeks off my 60th birthday, I have been retired for three years and unfortunately had a motorcycle (scooter) accident in the first year resulting in a year in and out of hospital and six months of physiotherapy, resulting in putting on weight and losing a lot of muscle therefore finding it difficult to climb and run easily (climbing and running being my previous fitness hobbies). During lockdown my son, a keen cyclist, encouraged me to buy a road bike and go out three or four times a week with him. Therefore for the first time since 1969 I'm cycling and enjoying nearly every moment. In the four weeks I've already lost weight and increased my power, hills are still interesting but I no longer run out of gears and have dog walkers overtaking me, and general riding is becoming easier. A local club has gentle rides ( or will have once restrictions are eased) which they state never take riders more than 14 - 16 mph, one of my goals is to get up to this average speed so I can join them on their "gentle" rides, my other goal is to build up distance to 50 miles. I hope to pick up a lot tips and may probably ask very simple questions at times , mostly though I'll be lurking and reading past messages to help me improve.
Safe riding

Hi Paul welcome onboard -- I'm around your age and motorcyclist for many years too but finding I actually enjoy cycling much more -- still have one classic bike left -- thankfully have never come a cropper off one.
I am here. Where are you?