New to me Azub Origami

DIscuss anything relating to non-standard cycles and their equipment.
UpWrong

New to me Azub Origami

Post by UpWrong »

I won an Origami on eBay a few weeks ago. Kinetics was the seller and he seems to have achieved top dollar on his auctions the last couple of years. My surprise was that my bid at the end of the first day won it. Maybe it was the time of year or maybe the tape over the frame hiding a reputedly "minor scratch" put people off. I guessed that it might have been caused by the seat coming off the seat clamp so I took a chance that it wasn't too serious. Photos here: https://photos.app.goo.gl/mc9z1R7qE3HzNcM38

At first glance it looks like paint chips that someone has tried to smooth with wet and dry paper. Further examination reveals a bit of a depression or gouge. So not too impressed but Azub frames are known to be bullet proof, 3mm aluminimum tubing possibly so losing 1mm is probably ok. And indeed I found that the seat clamp was not properly adjusted, so the seat bracket was not supported properly on the seat clamp bolt. I also found the chain was twisted.

All I've done so far is reassemble it and check all the clamps. I've positioned the seat 25% from the front of the seat rail. It's still further from the front wheel than the seat on my Nazca Paseo SWB. It came with an incompatible 22/32/44 XT chainset. Incompatible because that provides ridiculously low gearing, and because the chain rubs on the stay when using the 11T sprocket. There's some protective tape there but I think it would wear through PDQ.

I really think the underseat bag and the integrated rack is genius. It will be a while before I ride it. I've decided to fit a 34/48 compact crankset after I've had the cranks shortened - my preference and it should reduce heel strike.
Last edited by UpWrong on 16 Jun 2020, 6:24am, edited 2 times in total.
NUKe

Re: New to me Azub Origami

Post by NUKe »

Enjoy,
NUKe

Post by UpWrong »

So 18mths later I'm finally getting it on the road. I changed the fork because the drop outs at 107mm were too wide for a standard hub - I'm guessing it's not the original fork. I changed the Gussett front V-brake because I couldn't get it to balance. I changed the chainset to the Durabi 30/42/52 triple crankset that came with my T-Trirs trike shortened for me by a Mr Mike Burrows. I changed the front wheel, I changed the tyres.

I had a very quick spin on it and I was pleasantly surprised by how easy it was ride, possibly the best balanced two wheeled bent I've ridden. I'm not keen on the tiller bars because I like to sit up when I stop putting my feed down vertically. I will have to practice stopping whilst laid back, bending my legs at the knee to make contact with the ground.
UpWrong

Post by UpWrong »

I had a longer potter around the neighbourhood tonight and was doing fine right up to the point where I practiced an arm signal, totally lost control and dumped it. There is something very different about tiller steering with one hand compared to open cockpit bars. It all happened so quickly that I can't analyse what went wrong other than saying my brain isn't calibrated for one handed tiller steering. I have an elbow like a piece of raw steak and a sore hip but no damage to the bike. I immediately jumped back on and practiced some uphill stopping and starting. Despite that it was still overall an encouraging try out. I made a few adjustments to the seat position. It's nice that you can fine tune the seat position without having to make boom adjustments.I think the rear wheel needs a service so I shall swap another one in for now, and I will need to sort out a front mudguard and adjust the rear one. Might try to get some new photos tomorrow.
NUKe

Post by NUKe »

What about tweener bars like the HPv machines, have these on the Grasshopper ( I have these) or even. A set of drops like Cruz bike Vendetta might give a bit more stability , whilst using the tiller steering
NUKe

Post by UpWrong »

I guess what I have is 'tweeners. The handlebar is a narrow width, one-piece T shape which inserts into the riser. I think the distance from the steering axis determines whether you have tiller movement or rotational movement. I could move the seat forward and extend the boom so that the riser was more vertical, with less distance between the bars and steering axis, less tiller movement and more noticeable rotational movement. However the centre of gravity would be further forward and a stoppie would be more likely. Also having the seat equal distance from the hubs makes best use of passive suspension.

I think I can get used to it where it is - it's a fairly modest tiller effect. I'll just have to practice more and be careful when signalling.
squeaker

Post by squeaker »

Sorry to read of your 'off' - at least you have a medic to look after you ;) (Bet she wasn't amused, though...)

Looking at your original photos, the stem seems very vertical (maybe you've reclined it more since then?), so I'd be wanting to increase the tiller, not reduce it, so it's more like this. (I took a file to the joint on my Grasshoppers's stem to increase the recline...)

Final thought, you didn't catch a sleeve when you put your arm out to signal, did you?

Mend soon!
"42"
UpWrong

Post by UpWrong »

Yes I reclined the seat some more and brought the handlebars down a bit. This meant I was better cupped in the seat and it stopped me sliding forward. I then needed to bring the seat forward to reach the pedals.TBH there isn't a lot of tiller but it was enough to confuse me with only one hand on the bars. I'm relaxed about getting back in the seat and riding some more. Looking at the photo below, bringing the seat forward and extending the boom is an option to reduce tiller if I really need to, but the seat position looks quite good to me as it is.

PS. The seat is XL I think and also functions as a headrest!

IMG_20200620_151516.jpg
UpWrong

Post by UpWrong »

So, I decided to move the seat forward an inch and reduce the tiller a little. This entiailed adjusting the boom and the seat stay to restore the seat angle. I took it out for a spin and found it better. What I noticed about the steering is that small movements of the bar feel rotational whilst large movements are where you feel the tiller effect. It struck me though that having the bar stem more vertical is making the steering more sensitive. Reclining the bars means that the velocity ratio reduces for a given amount of hand movement.

Thought I was doing fine until I had to make a left turn from a stop, turned too tightly and was unable to get my foot on the ground in time to stop toppling over. Same elbow - ouch! I'm used to platform pedals but not these pedals with pins. These need the foot lifted off the pedal, you can't slide the foot. Hence in a hurry my foot was stuck on the pedal and failed to reach the ground in time. So I changed the pedals to standard platforms.
Last edited by UpWrong on 11 Jul 2020, 7:08pm, edited 3 times in total.
UpWrong

Post by UpWrong »

Another week later, wound healed so thought I'd give it another go. Unfortunately my confidence had gone and I was nervous of the steering. I've had a cold this week and am still a bit rough from the virus so that wasn't helping, but I just coulldn't get the hang of steering and was worried about a third fall. Probably the sensible thing is to try again when I am feeling brighter and sharper. Feeling rather down in the dumps about it. Maybe I should put the seat back and increase the tiller to make the handling less sensitive. I might try reshasping the seat with some foam around the upper part of the seat to make me a bit more upright and reduce the lumber support.
squeaker

Post by squeaker »

UpWrong wrote: Maybe I should put the seat back and increase the tiller to make the handling less sensitive. I might try reshasping the seat with some foam around the upper part of the seat to make me a bit more upright and reduce the lumber support.

And buy some elbow pads :roll:
"42"
UpWrong

Post by UpWrong »

squeaker wrote:
UpWrong wrote: Maybe I should put the seat back and increase the tiller to make the handling less sensitive. I might try reshasping the seat with some foam around the upper part of the seat to make me a bit more upright and reduce the lumber support.

And buy some elbow pads :roll:

I bought a pair when I had the Grasshopper and I dug them out again. They are uncomfortable when your arm is bent at 90 degrees or more. They'd be fine with Open Cockpit bars! :lol:
UpWrong

Post by UpWrong »

Reflecting on this, I'm considering converting to Open Cockpit bars. I have some Bacchetta bars but need a folding stem and riser. I don't like the new (B2) Bacchetta folding stem, had one and it broke. I think Toxy do a stem and riser for 230 euros, or there's the stem and riser from Terracycle, 239 euros. Ouch.

Or I try to sell the bike on. However even with the OC bars, the fold wll work fine for putting it in the boot of the car so if I want to have an easy to transport 2-wheeled 'bent this is still the best option. And having invested such time and effort improving the spec it seems a shame to ditch it.
StephenW

Post by StephenW »

Would Nazca open-cockpit stem or bars work? They are cheaper than the prices you mentioned. The stem doesn't fold, but it is telescopic so could be dismantled if necessary. Could be combined with a basic stem-raiser if more height is needed.
UpWrong

Post by UpWrong »

StephenW wrote:Would Nazca open-cockpit stem or bars work? They are cheaper than the prices you mentioned. The stem doesn't fold, but it is telescopic so could be dismantled if necessary. Could be combined with a basic stem-raiser if more height is needed.

The price difference is staggering. It would provide a dissassembling solution rather than a folding solution.

Baccheetta sell a non-locking folding stem, and with a telescopic riser and stem the price is $120 total. But then you have to add shipping, customs and VAT, so maybe £180. Also it might take a long time to get here with all the COVID disruptions. Think I prefer Terracycle's because the one-piece riser doesn't have the clanp the telescoping Bacchetta riser has - I'm worried about catching my knee on the clamp