cheap external cup bottom brackets

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
SimonCelsa

cheap external cup bottom brackets

Post by SimonCelsa »

I recently ordered some bits and pieces from Rose Deutschland. It wasn't until I'd finished and paid for the items that I realised I'd forgotten to stock up on some cheap Shimano EBBs. Too late to add to my existing order but if anyone else is ordering stuff from the Fatherland just a quick heads up, these are pretty cheap:

for Mountain: https://www.rosebikes.co.uk/shimano-deo ... ups-751641

for Road: https://www.rosebikes.co.uk/shimano-tia ... e_size=BSA

Anyone know if I can get these for a similar price in the UK? (admittedly postage is almost £9 but if you consolidate an order it obviously makes it worthwhile).

Cheers, Simon
gregoryoftours

Re: cheap external cup bottom brackets

Post by gregoryoftours »

I don't know if you can get them as cheaply as that here. However the next step up in spec last much better in my experience and I actively avoid the deore/Tiagra.
thornie1543

Post by thornie1543 »

Just put two of these in the basket and bar tape and a few bits and bobs to make the postage seem not so bad(well it made sense at the time:),anyway when making an account it just wouldn't except my postcode (U.K.),is there a different way of doing it on german sites when posting to the U.k.?,cant see what else I could have done really,my postcode is what it is.
SimonCelsa

Post by SimonCelsa »

I just tried opening an account for one of my daughters to see if there was any problems.

Similarly, it wouldn't accept my postcode at first.

However, if you delete all the 'autofill' details then start with empty data boxes and physically type all the data in then you should be OK. Obviously choose 'Great Britain' from drop down list, then type in postcode, house number, street, etc........worked for me, give it a try.
tim-b

Post by tim-b »

Hi
I bought a SM-BBR60 (BSA) Ultegra BB at the end of Feb for £13.99 (free P&P), the same BB at the same UK retailer is now £22.29. I guess that it's an effect of the increase in bike sales caused by C19, but I don't know if Germany's low C19 figures have kept their sales relatively normal and so they have stock. Discuss
Regards
tim-b
~~~~¯\(ツ)/¯~~~~
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

SimonCelsa wrote:I recently ordered some bits and pieces from Rose Deutschland. It wasn't until I'd finished and paid for the items that I realised I'd forgotten to stock up on some cheap Shimano EBBs. Too late to add to my existing order but if anyone else is ordering stuff from the Fatherland just a quick heads up, these are pretty cheap:

for Mountain: https://www.rosebikes.co.uk/shimano-deo ... ups-751641

for Road: https://www.rosebikes.co.uk/shimano-tia ... e_size=BSA

Anyone know if I can get these for a similar price in the UK? (admittedly postage is almost £9 but if you consolidate an order it obviously makes it worthwhile).

Cheers, Simon

Thanks for this simon, will add to my wishlist for rose, i tend to build up to an order every year or so.
Compare and contrast chain reaction
https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/shi ... prod129632

!

Who seem to have been more interested in flogging expensive mamil bits for several years.
Sweep
philvantwo

Post by philvantwo »

Tiagra bottom brackets were £11 at Chain Reaction a couple of months ago, they're now £21!
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

philvantwo wrote:Tiagra bottom brackets were £11 at Chain Reaction a couple of months ago, they're now £21!

And still they send me emails every day it seems telling me what bargains are to be had.
Sweep
st599_uk

Post by st599_uk »

thornie1543 wrote:Just put two of these in the basket and bar tape and a few bits and bobs to make the postage seem not so bad(well it made sense at the time:),anyway when making an account it just wouldn't except my postcode (U.K.),is there a different way of doing it on german sites when posting to the U.k.?,cant see what else I could have done really,my postcode is what it is.

I think they now have a rose.co.uk for taking UK orders separately from their .de shop. Prices look the same at the moment, but quite a few of my friends in Germany are setting up separate webshops for UK customers to allow them to add tariffs and import duties as of January.
A novice learning...
“the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.”
The utility cyclist

Post by The utility cyclist »

What's the longevity of these things, from everything I've read these cheaper ones really aren't worth it, I've got Wheels Manufacturing in my best bike, a Hope in my gravel bike and a Miche in the touring/audax/winter racer, FRM in the ti racer.
I'm all for buying stuff at the lower end but if it's nowhere near in terms of value then not sure it's worth it even when it seems to be a bargain.
SimonCelsa

Post by SimonCelsa »

I find the cheaper ones last pretty well as long as you pry off the seals when first purchased (and regularly thereafter) and slather in a good quantity of additional grease.

I've ruined a couple in short order, one by riding through some estuarial water, the other whilst riding through deepish slow/slush with probably a bit of road salt thrown in. The sealing is pretty poor.

Probably 5000 miles is the best I've got, not bad if less than a tenner, and generally it has been the drive side bearings which have failed. Thus some 'used but good bits' come in handy at times to reduce chucking the whole item out.
gxaustin

Post by gxaustin »

Probably 5000 miles is the best I've got, not bad if less than a tenner, and generally it has been the drive side bearings which have failed. Thus some 'used but good bits' come in handy at times to reduce chucking the whole item out.

By way of contrast the Ultegra BB (push in) on my Merckx has done well over 12,000 miles so far and is still OK. I haven't touched it and there's no way I shall prise off seals because that probably damages them anyway.
I bought a spare, just in case, for £25.