2 metre rule

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Syd

Re: 2 metre rule

Post by Syd »

mjr wrote:
Syd wrote:COVID-19 has a low infectious load compared to flu, for example, and as low as 20 virus particles can cause infection.

Where's that from, please? The numbers I'd seen were around 500-1000. Is 20 just the absolute theoretical minimum?

It was given by virologist Dr Chris Smith during a Q&A session. I can find any footage at the moment.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Syd wrote:
mjr wrote:
Syd wrote:COVID-19 has a low infectious load compared to flu, for example, and as low as 20 virus particles can cause infection.

Where's that from, please? The numbers I'd seen were around 500-1000. Is 20 just the absolute theoretical minimum?

It was given by virologist Dr Chris Smith during a Q&A session. I can find any footage at the moment.

I don't think that it's known.

There's a page from the Science Media Centre from 24 March, but that's a long time ago in the modern world:
https://www.sciencemediacentre.org/expert-reaction-to-questions-about-covid-19-and-viral-load/
(I've written to them suggesting an update.)

I'll have a look.

Jonathan
Syd

Post by Syd »

Jdsk wrote:
Syd wrote:
mjr wrote:Where's that from, please? The numbers I'd seen were around 500-1000. Is 20 just the absolute theoretical minimum?

I don't think that it's known.

There's a page from the Science Media Centre from 24 March, but that's a long time ago in the modern world:
https://www.sciencemediacentre.org/expert-reaction-to-questions-about-covid-19-and-viral-load/
(I've written to them suggesting an update.)

I'll have a look.

Jonathan

The figure given by Dr Smith was in the past 10 days. Just can’t recall exactly when. All the days seem the same at the moment [emoji23]
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Is that Chris Smith from Cambridge?
https://www.thenakedscientists.com/users/chris-smith

Jonathan
Syd

Post by Syd »

Jdsk wrote:Is that Chris Smith from Cambridge?
https://www.thenakedscientists.com/users/chris-smith

Jonathan

Yep
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Thanks. I hadn't heard of him, but that's some good work on public understanding.

I can't find anything more recent on minimum infective dose.

Jonathan
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

I see that despite there being no evidence that antibodies confer immunity and that the level of antibodies subsides in many cases to an undetectable level, Prit Patel is again touting the disproven and irresponsible possibility of "Immunity Passports"
Marcus Aurelius

Post by Marcus Aurelius »

Cunobelin wrote:I see that despite there being no evidence that antibodies confer immunity and that the level of antibodies subsides in many cases to an undetectable level, Prit Patel is again touting the disproven and irresponsible possibility of "Immunity Passports"

I agree, it’s absolute folly to assume that antibodies do in fact confer immunity. The SARS-CoV-2 virus is an absolute bugger of a thing, I’m sure there’s a thousand things we don’t know about it yet, that are going to be significant in the future.
Marcus Aurelius

There’s an Italian medic named Professor Bassetti, who thinks the virus is weakening, to the point where it may just fizzle out by itself. His optimism isn’t widely shared, but what he says does seem to pass the ‘duck test’ as far as proof of the pudding being in the eating is concerned.
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

Marcus Aurelius wrote:
Cunobelin wrote:I see that despite there being no evidence that antibodies confer immunity and that the level of antibodies subsides in many cases to an undetectable level, Prit Patel is again touting the disproven and irresponsible possibility of "Immunity Passports"

I agree, it’s absolute folly to assume that antibodies do in fact confer immunity. The SARS-CoV-2 virus is an absolute bugger of a thing, I’m sure there’s a thousand things we don’t know about it yet, that are going to be significant in the future.

There is recent evidence that antibody levels fall... and rapidly

Antibody levels fall quickly
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Marcus Aurelius wrote:There’s an Italian medic named Professor Bassetti, who thinks the virus is weakening, to the point where it may just fizzle out by itself. His optimism isn’t widely shared, but what he says does seem to pass the ‘duck test’ as far as proof of the pudding being in the eating is concerned.

Has he published why he thinks this?

Thanks

Jonathan
Marcus Aurelius

Jdsk wrote:
Marcus Aurelius wrote:There’s an Italian medic named Professor Bassetti, who thinks the virus is weakening, to the point where it may just fizzle out by itself. His optimism isn’t widely shared, but what he says does seem to pass the ‘duck test’ as far as proof of the pudding being in the eating is concerned.

Thanks

Jonathan

I don’t know if he’s published anything yet.
Pebble

Post by Pebble »

If I have to pass a cyclist or jogger coming the other way, I'm still closing one eye and holding my breath for as long as possible, can't be too careful with covid
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

I turn away and hold my breath. Hadn't thought about the eye...

Jonathan
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Marcus Aurelius wrote:
Jdsk wrote:

Thanks

Jonathan

I don’t know if he’s published anything yet.

Thanks

Jonathan