Bike speed

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
james.wiz

Bike speed

Post by james.wiz »

Bike power seems to be way higher than the speed that im going. Position and bike are decent. Any advice to help me get quicker?
fastpedaller

Re: Bike speed

Post by fastpedaller »

james.wiz wrote:Bike power seems to be way higher than the speed that im going. Position and bike are decent. Any advice to help me get quicker?

Go with the wind instead of against it :lol:
Sorry I couldn't resist
ANTONISH

Post by ANTONISH »

james.wiz wrote:Bike power seems to be way higher than the speed that im going. Position and bike are decent. Any advice to help me get quicker?

Are you actually measuring the power?
I'm not sure what advice you are looking for.
further

Post by further »

Don't bother about speed, just enjoy the ride.
cycleruk

Post by cycleruk »

You'll never know if you don't try it.
richardfm

Post by richardfm »

Pedal faster
Richard M
Cardiff
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

power is no indicator of speed

Often my highest power output will be when i'm going quite slow, say at traffic lights or a short sharp climb. There are so many things that can affect your speed, weather, the bike, your technique/position, road surface/terrain, clothing even. Its a whole can of worms and there are no wonder solutions but you have to start somewhere i guess so i'd make sure the bike is in tip top condition and assess your clothing, in terms of speed you need close fitting stuff, no baggy shorts or flappy jackets (and before someone comes in, yes i know you can ride at speed so dressed but those in pursuit of higher speed don't) and find a bit of road that you can do reliable comparisons on. There are a host of books on the subject of going fast on a bicycle, maybe its time to go back to basics and read up on the subject so you understand whats going on, the advice on this forum may or may not work for you and often is based on fag packet science so beware. :D
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
Peter F

Post by Peter F »

How are you measuring power?
rmurphy195

Post by rmurphy195 »

Bike power (as in - motor) or your power?
Brompton, Condor Heritage, creaky joints and thinning white (formerly grey) hair
""You know you're getting old when it's easier to ride a bike than to get on and off it" - quote from observant jogger !
nigel8322

Post by nigel8322 »

The article in the road bike link above is wrong. The air resistance increases as the square of the speed but the power required goes up with the cube of the speed (the article says it's the square). Eg doubling your speed (unlikely, but it makes the maths easier) quadruples the air resistance but gives x8 for the power (x4 air resistance then x2 because you work against the resistance for double the distance per second). This assumes that you are ignoring all other resistance (friction in the drivetrain, rolling resistance from the tyres, energy loss from 'bobbling' over rough tarmac etc.)
This explains why tootling along at 14mph average allows me to enjoy the countryside but 16mph average feels like a workout (the power required to overcome air resistance goes up by almost 50%).
Since I cycle for enjoyment (mainly) I tend to average 14mph! However, I do buy good tyres (losing 10W matters more when you're a bit short of Watts to begin with) and I keep the drivetrain lubricated- but that's because it sounds nicer when it's running smoothly). The key point seems to me to be 'forget the Watts; are you having FUN?'
Yossarian

Post by Yossarian »

No substitute for working harder I'm afraid! Pick some long steadily downhill stretches and work hard all the way down, you'll get used to going faster.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

nigel8322 wrote:The air resistance increases as the square of the speed but the power required goes up with the cube of the speed (the article says it's the square). Eg doubling your speed (unlikely, but it makes the maths easier) quadruples the air resistance but gives x8 for the power (x4 air resistance then x2 because you work against the resistance for double the distance per second). This assumes that you are ignoring all other resistance (friction in the drivetrain, rolling resistance from the tyres, energy loss from 'bobbling' over rough tarmac etc.)

Yes.

Jonathan