2 1/2 Bromptons

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
nickross

2 1/2 Bromptons

Post by nickross »

I enjoyed David Nichols travel piece in the current magazine. I would like to know what is meant by a "long-flap" saddlebag and what is or are "wide ratio double front derailleurs". It sounds like something that gives touring gears to a Brompton.
Can anybody help?
mas051

Re:2 1/2 Bromptons

Post by mas051 »

A long flap saddle bag is one of the carradice Norton saddle bags and is i believe the largest in their range see the ctc shop.
nickross

Post by nickross »

Thanks for that. I forgot to say the article is in travellors tales at the back of the latest cycle mag.
LittleWheelsandBig

Post by LittleWheelsandBig »

Several Carradice saddlebags have optional 'long flaps'. The largest is the Camper, next is Nelson and the smallest is the Lowsaddle. Steve Parry makes an adaptor to fit front derailleurs to Bromptons. Use Google or visit the Folding Society webpage for details.
nickross

Post by nickross »

Thanks will do
dickydean

Post by dickydean »

Has anybody experienced unwanted forward and backward movement of the handlebar on a Brompton? It's held on by a single bolt screwing into a thread on the handlebar stem. Too loose and the handlebars move, too tight and you risk stripping the thread. I've suggested to Brompton that the bar be made square section at the joint (rather than round) to prevent movement. The manual says it's round to allow fore/aft adjustment, but admits folding is compromised if it's changed -- so I don't see the point of it being adjustable at all, especially given that adjustment (if necessary at all) can be made with the sadlle. Any thoughts or similar experience?
LittleWheelsandBig

Post by LittleWheelsandBig »

Have you tried stripping the thread of the bolt? It isn't as easy as you seem to think. The major problem with overtightening is crimping the handlebars.
CJ

Post by CJ »

If your handlebar has been moving in the stem it could now be dangerously scored, leading to cracking and eventual fracture.

A few years ago Brompton changed the handlebar for a slightly thicker and stronger one. This new bar is, I believe, available as a free upgrade to owners of older Bromptons. If you don't have it, maybe you ought to get it. Being thicker it also ought to be more resistant to crushing when you tighten the bolt hard enough to stop the bar moving.