Shimano SPD,-SL cleat question...

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Glyno

Shimano SPD,-SL cleat question...

Post by Glyno »

Hello! I'm looking for a bit of advise... currently using Shimano SPD-SL cleats (yellow) but finding the 'float' possibly a little excessive during normal pedalling. There's very little wear, would I benefit by moving to 'blue' cleats which may also be easier to unclip due to having less float?

Thanks,
Glyn.
99.9%certain

Re: Shimano SPD,-SL cleat question...

Post by 99.9%certain »

In what way are you finding the float excessive?
Too hard/too easy to clip in/unclip?
Unclipping when riding?
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

you would expect that with less float you might have to rotate the cleat less far before it releases. However it doesn't always work like that, and even it does, it mightn't be 'easier' per se. One of the things claimed for the blue cleat is that it will rotate around a point closer to the toe; all things being equal this might allow an easier release; it might also cause the shoe to move differently when riding out of the saddle.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Glyno

Post by Glyno »

99.9%certain wrote:In what way are you finding the float excessive?
Too hard/too easy to clip in/unclip?
Unclipping when riding?

It's just that I'm often aware that my foot/feet have a slight 'sliding' sensation on the pedals, almost as if they aren't clipped-in - though they are, and unclipping when riding has never occurred.
Unclipping can be a little hesitant at times, and I can't help feeling that a mishap is just around the corner! :oops:

I feel I could benefit from less float, and if it meant a more positive unclipping, this would be an added bonus.
Glyno

Post by Glyno »

Brucey wrote:you would expect that with less float you might have to rotate the cleat less far before it releases. However it doesn't always work like that, and even it does, it mightn't be 'easier' per se. One of the things claimed for the blue cleat is that it will rotate around a point closer to the toe; all things being equal this might allow an easier release; it might also cause the shoe to move differently when riding out of the saddle.

cheers

yes, the last thing I want is to cause problems that could arise from having my feet 'anchored' or their natural movement restricted.
99.9%certain

Post by 99.9%certain »

Are your pedals adjustable?
I use Look Keo with Black(0 degrees float).I prefer the more rigid feel of zero float but I can adjust the pedals for clipping in/out.IIRC I have them set about 75% tension.
I've tried Red(9 deg) and Grey(4.5deg) but I didn't like the feel and movement.
Glyno

Post by Glyno »

99.9%certain wrote:Are your pedals adjustable?
I use Look Keo with Black(0 degrees float).I prefer the more rigid feel of zero float but I can adjust the pedals for clipping in/out.IIRC I have them set about 75% tension.
I've tried Red(9 deg) and Grey(4.5deg) but I didn't like the feel and movement.

I'm not sure of the model, but the pedals are the basic Shimano SPD-SL pedals.
They do have a tensioner which I have set at almost least tension as I imagine tightening it would only make clipping-out slightly harder?
99.9%certain

Post by 99.9%certain »

If the pedals are set to minimum tension and you're still having trouble unclipping then I doubt different float will make much difference.
Have you tried the standard SPDs with multi release?
Glyno

Post by Glyno »

99.9%certain wrote:If the pedals are set to minimum tension and you're still having trouble unclipping then I doubt different float will make much difference.
Have you tried the standard SPDs with multi release?

It's not that I'm having trouble unclipping as such, just that I wondered if using blue cleats would make it easier, or 'slicker'?
99.9%certain

Post by 99.9%certain »

[quote="Glyno"]
It's not that I'm having trouble unclipping as such, just that I wondered if using blue cleats would make it easier, or 'slicker'?[/quote]

I don't use SPD-SL so can't comment on that but Look is a very similar system and clipping in and out is no different what ever colour cleats or float used so I would imagine the difference would be minimal with Shimano SPD-SL also?
For the price new cleats cost just try it and see?

I find that clipping in/out gets easier as plastic cleats wear anyway.
Glyno

Post by Glyno »

99.9%certain wrote:
Glyno wrote:
For the price new cleats cost just try it and see?

I'm going to do that, always handy to have a spare pair anyway :-)