A6/B6385 junction, Milnethorpe

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
arnsider

A6/B6385 junction, Milnethorpe

Post by arnsider »

I had to ride up to Milnethorpe yesterday and after I'd done my call, I crossed the busy juction and rode on to Sandside.
Contractors are excavating in the road on the west side of this junction and have placed temporary lights with the one way section extending down beyond the Booths entrance.
I actually pushed the bike down the footway to the crossing and waited for a green light. Out of courtesy, I let all the traffic go past before I mounted and rode forward. I still had the road when I set off. I could see the driver at the front of the oncoming queue and she was creeping forward. Sure enough, she had got the road before I had a chance to clear the section and we had the age old timing problem that I have reported on here before.
Some rude plonker in a white van balled out F.... [rude word removed] as he drove as close to me as he could.
Why do these wretched traffic management crowds routinely fail to allow for slower vehicle transits?
I've even taken this same issue up with the HSE, but I might as well have pee 'd in the wind!
Neither the police nor the County roads are bothered.
There has been an almighty upsurge of cycling in this area since the covid 19 scare.
cyclop

Re: A6/B6385 junction, Milnethorpe

Post by cyclop »

Who is liable in case of an accident?
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

I know exactly where you mean and suspect it's long roadworks on the narrow pinchpoint section near to Booths.
I never give way to the traffic behind me in such a situation because I know there's a chance that following them through,unless I'm able to closely follow the last car or there's only a couple of vehicles,there's a chance the TL interval won't be long enough and may I get the problem you've just had.
I agree the intervals should be long enough but all too often they're not,though that said they're not as bad as they used to be round my way at least.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
arnsider

Post by arnsider »

Well, from that, you could say that cyclists are damned if they do (Show courtesy and give way) and damned if they don't (Hold faster traffic up).
I'm sick of the attitude from the contractors and highway authorities. They just pay lip service to issues like this and when you make them aware of problems, they pass you off with lies and inaction.
The problem was particularly bad further south on the Carnforth Kirkby Lonsdale road, back when the cable tv wallahs were writhing up the road and blind bends were one way. Even the ruddy HSE washed their hands of complaints.
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

Your should have tried commuting to and from Lancaster when they were doing the link road. There were lights everywhere up the A6 around there. I learnt you push to the front of the queue and block in the cars behind you. It was the only way to avoid what you encountered.

The most important factor is the safety of the most vulnerable road user. That person has the responsibility for their own safety. Manners can not override that. Better you get called a rude word removed by the following drivers than you get harmed.

Btw no tl operator actually walks through the lights when setting up. Aiui they're supposed to set it at fast walking pace of 4mph but I could be wrong there.

I know of a case where a council's insurer had to pay out when a car got totalled because of roadworks signage not meeting code. All it took was a consulting civil engineer using the original road plans annotated with the signage used and a former colleague doing the same for the nice payout at top value for the car plus rental and other on costs.

Of course that won't help the vulnerable road user in an accident because of inadequate signage or traffic light setups. Which is why you've got to ignore niceties and ride selfish through them.
mjr

Post by mjr »

cyclop wrote:Who is liable in case of an accident?

Whoever causes the collision, which is the motorist if they entered a single-track when it was already occupied, no matter whether they had a green light. Your best action if your way is blocked by them usually is to stop and wait for them to back up.

But in practice, never "let all the traffic go past before I mounted and rode forward" at temporary lights if you can avoid it. It's even better at permanent give-and-take lights to keep a car behind you. Yes, having a motorist staring at your bum at an mph in the teens for hundreds of metres is annoying, but it does tend to deter oncoming drivers!

The traffic management companies and council routinely fail to allow for slower vehicle transits because the duties and penalties aren't stiff enough.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

I came across a rather long roadworks with inadequate timing. I started through when the lights turned green, and there were no motors behind me. I was less than halfway through when a car started towards me. I could give him enough room to get by, but he wagged his finger at me, no doubt feeling confirmed in his belief that all cyclists ignore traffic lights.
I found this infuriating because I never ride through a red, the more so because it was impossible to tell him the truth.
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?
arnsider

Post by arnsider »

Yesterday, I rode up to Bowland Bridge via Levens and Brigsteer.
Which ever way you go from Milnethorpe Marsh, you have to use a short stretch of the old A6 and the old 590 junction.
The road surface on the bit of the 590 as far as the slip to the new 590 has for a very long time suffered from tarmac spalling, making the ride bumpy.
It was caused by subsidence and at long last, highways are lifting the whole stretch and installing Beany block kerbs.
Consequently, there is temporary traffic light control over the stretch.
Those in the know will use the footpath through the riverside wood, though OKay when dry, it wil be a pain in the rain!
No doubt we'll suffer the same old timing problems here.
As a previous contributor put me right about wasted courtesy, I will be nudging the the front of the queue and just going for it and Sod the impatience!
arnsider

Post by arnsider »

Just as an aside, unlike the Nasty man at Settle Co-op, the kind lady at the little shop in Levens is very happy to serve cyclists with tea and cakes!!
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

Keep safe Arnsider as our family might be moving the short hop up your neck of the woods when things get better with COVID issues and work. I might see you around!!

My priorities are typically skewed, I've started looking up folding bikes for the train commute to Lancaster before we've sold the house or moved. :lol: :lol:
Steve

Post by Steve »

Sorry, can't help myself, I just have to point out that there is only one e in Milnthorpe
arnsider

Post by arnsider »

Eeh by gum!!
arnsider

Post by arnsider »

We have a friendly and very active CTC group here.