GPS/Sat nav for deliveries

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
esmith

GPS/Sat nav for deliveries

Post by esmith »

I've been volunteering for the local covid group by shopping and picking up prescriptions on my electric trike. It was a 3 hour round trip this morning and it would have been so much easier with a sat nav rather than stopping and looking at my tablet (and my mind forgetting the route every time I put it down).. I don't mind planning a route from home and transferring it from tablet/chromebook. I don't have a mobile. I've just bought an additional battery for my trike as it is my only form of transport so I can take the dogs to different places to walk so if it recognised cycle paths and bridle ways that would be a bonus, if I could then take it with me when I park the bike and it finds footpaths that would be the cherry on the cake.

Does such a device exist?
cycleruk

Re: GPS/Sat nav for deliveries

Post by cycleruk »

You could possibly pick up a cheap second hand mobile phone that has GPS on it. ( Or even acquire for free.) No need for it to work as a phone but it can run mapping programs on it. I have just tried it on an old mobile I no longer use. There are various "Apps" available for free such as the one I have just tried which was Microsoft maps.
I have a Garmin but they are expensive for what I think you want or need.

Hopefully someone can advise you on a better system.
You'll never know if you don't try it.
Witterings

Post by Witterings »

Maybe get a mount for your tablet ???

https://www.wiggle.co.uk/tacx-mounting- ... gI7HfD_BwE

Or as suggested a cheap mobile phone

If google maps isn't any good for you there is an App called OsmAnd that you can import / export maps to and will give you turn by turn directions to save you looking at the screen .... I use it on a mobile and turn the screen off 90% of the time to extend battery life, only switching the screen on if I'm not sure where the voice directions mean for me to go.
Vitara

Post by Vitara »

I think you might be better with a local A-Z map book, especially if you intend to continue with the volunteering role.

Using a sat nav you're likely to always be dependent on it.

With a map book you will quickly learn key locations and the best routes to use.

Within a few weeks even new locations will be easy to find; eg. Privett Place, ah 2nd right off Stoke road, no problem
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

and picking up prescriptions on my electric trike.
How electric is your electric trike? Have you got a USB port anywhere on it? I have an ancient TomTom satnav that runs off USB, which does turn-by-turn guidance. Something like that might work for you and they're available on ebay pretty cheap.
ancient, cheap, Tom Tom satnav
ancient, cheap, Tom Tom satnav
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
gazza_d

Post by gazza_d »

a phone that can run the cyclestreets app will probably be your best bet.
car satnavs will end up taking you down main roads. as will google navigation, even though set for cycling its directions can be interesting.
Google satelite can be useful beforehand for judging trips and seeing if there is any cuts you could use.
The best thing to do is to learn the area though.

another option (the luddite choice) is a plastic food container lid or similar (not too thin or flexible) cable tied to the handlebars and stem and use bulldog clips to secure a map and a list of drops to it.

Well done for volunteering though. Chapeau
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

You can put Osmand+ on your tablet, plan routes in advance and use it as a satnav. It will give you voice directions. No need to look at the screen. Osmand+ has a cycle route function

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

cycleruk wrote:You could possibly pick up a cheap second hand mobile phone that has GPS on it. ( Or even acquire for free.) No need for it to work as a phone but it can run mapping programs on it. I have just tried it on an old mobile I no longer use. There are various "Apps" available for free such as the one I have just tried which was Microsoft maps.

what phone was that? a Windows phone?

The trouble with the mobile phone option and things like google or openstreet maps might need a sim card to reeceive the data - money. The only phones I know are windows phones that can download and store maps so no need for an active sim - but Windows phones are now dead and Microsoft anyway is moving from using Here maps to TomTom so there will come a time when any windows phone wont get any more map updates.
Last edited by mercalia on 27 Jun 2020, 9:34am, edited 1 time in total.
cycleruk

Post by cycleruk »

mercalia wrote:
cycleruk wrote:You could possibly pick up a cheap second hand mobile phone that has GPS on it. ( Or even acquire for free.) No need for it to work as a phone but it can run mapping programs on it. I have just tried it on an old mobile I no longer use. There are various "Apps" available for free such as the one I have just tried which was Microsoft maps.

Yes'. Hardly used it as it won't run some App's.
That was a waste of money. :oops:
You'll never know if you don't try it.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

cycleruk wrote:
mercalia wrote:

Yes'. Hardly used it as it won't run some App's.
That was a waste of money. :oops:

well I still use one but windows 8.1 phones are now just junk - Mine has Windows 10 on it & there are quite a few offline mapping possibilities as well as Microsofts. eg Cartograph/Vectorial that shows all sorts of paths or a TomTom map app from Sygic with free maps or various openstreet/google map viewers that work well.
Cartograph
Cartograph

Mine cost me just £20 nearly 2 years ago now 2nd hand ebay. Not a phone for social networks like Facebook, but Twitter is ok I think. And there is a Cyclestreets app
colinmilne

Post by colinmilne »

I seem to remember that Schwinn produced a cycle navigator a few years ago. It had no screen just three lights on the unit,left turn right turn and straight ahead. It was programmable via a tablet which downloaded the directions to the unit. Seems ideal if you can find one.
Or maybe a Beeline unit, failing that Fleabay for a used Garmin.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Google maps will download and do offline routing on any mobile device without a cellular connection. Just need to sit on WiFi to download the map.
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

...not heard from the OP since they posed the Q.
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)