Roof mounted racks ??? - Best choice

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
ratherbeintobago

Re: Roof mounted racks ??? - Best choice

Post by ratherbeintobago »

You can get a wheel holder for Thule bars.

gxaustin

Post by gxaustin »

I try to carry bikes internally. I often have to choose between dropping the saddle or removing the front wheel though because the wheel arch is in the way. (The front wheel goes.)
If mounting on the roof i find its much more convenient if your car has longitudinal roof bars built in. I've always found most roof racks a pain.
I have used cheap steel bike racks without any problem. They are a bit of a fiddle but how much do you want to spend for something that gets used once or twice a year? I add a couple of extra luggage straps for safety anyway. Mine have 2 arms which clamp the down tube and they are very steady. I have seen some (expensive?) racks with a single arm and at speed I've noticed the bikes rocking about alarmingly.
I also have some front-wheel-off-racks. They are fine for my bikes but if carrying a small frame take great car that the pedal doesn't touch the roof!

Remember, if hanging bikes off a cheap tailgate carrier, it is illegal to obstruct the lights or number plate from rear or sides or obliquely. A trailer board is best - but that requires a plug to be fitted.
iandusud

Post by iandusud »

I have used all types of bike carriers for cars and by far and away my preferred type are the ones where you remove the front wheel and clamp the fork with a quick release and the rear wheel with a strap. Very secure and no damage to paintwork. If you don't have room inside the car for the front wheel don't bother buying an additional wheel holder. Just strap the wheel to the frame of the bike with a pair of toe straps. The tyres will prevent any damage to the frame. I've been carrying bikes like this for about 40 years. I have used Elite St Remo fittings and they are of excellent quality. TBH you don't really need the rear wheel fixing as you can simply secure the rear wheel to the roof bar.

I made a roof carrier for our tandem using one of these.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Delta-Unisexs- ... th=1&psc=1
ratherbeintobago

Stupid question: how does the San Remo compensate for different wheelbases?
TrevA

Post by TrevA »

ratherbeintobago wrote:Stupid question: how does the San Remo compensate for different wheelbases?

The rear wheel guide pivots.

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/shop ... g&usqp=CAc
Sherwood CC and Notts CTC.
A cart horse trapped in the body of a man.
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com
iandusud

Post by iandusud »

TrevA wrote:
ratherbeintobago wrote:Stupid question: how does the San Remo compensate for different wheelbases?

The rear wheel guide pivots.

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/shop ... g&usqp=CAc

Many years ago I had the original San Remo fittings where the rear wheel position was fixed and it wasn't a problem with full sized bikes. the variation in wheelbase was never enough to cause a problem. I was carrying road bikes, both short wheelbase racers and long wheelbase touring, and mountain bikes. If used with children's bikes it might a different story.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Ehi wrote: ... I have 2 bikes (one for myself and one for my daughter) and drive 5 hours round trip to see my daughter ...

One thing to think about is how often you do the trip and whether you intend leaving the racks on the vehicle all the time. It can be more of a faff to get racks etc onto the vehicle than the bikes onto the racks.

Then, your driving speed with the bikes loaded is important. Five hours at motorway speeds submits anything roof-mounted to huge forces. You mentioned youtube and there any number of vids of racks failing tests. I'm a Thule enthusiast.

Remember, if hanging bikes off a cheap tailgate carrier, it is illegal to obstruct the lights or number plate from rear or sides or obliquely. A trailer board is best - but that requires a plug to be fitted.

ie It doesn't matter what causes the obstruction.
Ehi

Post by Ehi »

roubaixtuesday wrote:I used to have the halfords ones, these look similar to the ones I had.

My experience:
They damage your bike's paintwork
They are fiddly to fit.
They're awkward to get your bike on.

The Thule ones are vastly better, but alas vastly more expensive too.

And as noted above, fixings and bars will be a substantial cost too.

A suggestion that if it's with just one or two people in the car, some minor dismantling (both wheels and pedals off at very worst) will probably enable you to get them inside, which is also much more fuel efficient if cost is a concern (roof mounted is the least fuel efficient way to carry).

I must say thanks to everyone. There is a lot to take in

I know my daughter's bike could easily fit into my car, I will try over the weekend to see if both bikes could, as I can drop the back seats of my car. So will test that out over this weekend. Its a 2013 Honda accord and quite spacious. I wanted to upgrade to an SUV and didnt like the drive, it felt like driving a bus, and very awkward driving position (maybe I am not used to it) although it feels very solid especially on the motorway

eileithyia wrote:you could also look at velosocks. https://velosock.com/?rfsn=2229678.8a9498

Bike covers sounds great. thanks

rfryer wrote:
I've recently bought a Rockbros suction cup roof rack, a cheaper version of the Seasucker, to use with a new car. I'm very happy with it; easy to attach to the car (and to remove), and holds two bikes firmly.

I did a google search on this, does this require extra equipment ???

ANTONISH wrote:Personally I would avoid roof racks.
!) It's possible to forget you have them on the roof :(
2) Driving on a motorway in heavy rain isn't good for the bike.
We put our bikes into bike bags and store them inside.

Thats sounds ace, and what I would research further on bike covers and storing them inside
col2019

Post by col2019 »

I always carry small hope up makes it easier lifting ang taking off the roof especially as you get older
JohnW

Post by JohnW »

None of my bikes even have a roof :lol: :lol:
ratherbeintobago

JohnW wrote:None of my bikes even have a roof :lol: :lol:

I believe various roof carriers have been bodged onto Surly Big Dummies though.
JohnW

Post by JohnW »

ratherbeintobago wrote:

I wouldn't mind seeing a picture of that.
PDQ Mobile

Post by PDQ Mobile »

Lots of good advice on here.
Wind resistance, reduced top speeds and exposure to driven rain are down-sides; though rear mounted racks suffer more from road born dirt and grit.

Some marking on a bike frame at the clamp point is hard to avoid over time.

The model of car is a factor of course. Fixed roof rails, a past feature (and fashion) make mounting somewhat simpler and secure.

The big advantage, however, is space on long distance travel.
The interior of the vehicle is accessible and available for all the other stuff.
If you are fit and reasonably strong getting bikes on and off is simplicity itself.
And bikes are handily available at any time.

As with most things one gets what one pays for. And amount of expected use is a factor here.
However, I have travelled many many thousands of bike mounted miles with cheaper racks.
It is important that fixings are tight and secure- any movement wears pivots more quickly.

Some very cheap racks have the clamp formed from the end of the riser tubes, simply squashed and bent, and with a thin and cheap plastic cover.
I would avoid such a construction for long and hard use.
It is a significant weak spot.

Better are the solid block formed plastic type of clamp end. They often have different sizes to accommodate varying bike frame tube sizes by turning them around. Handy if you have a tourer and a mountain bike etc.
ratherbeintobago

JohnW wrote:
ratherbeintobago wrote:

My Google-fu is failing me, but the bike mechanic who works under Rapha in Manchester has such a thing.
JohnW

Post by JohnW »

ratherbeintobago wrote:
JohnW wrote:
ratherbeintobago wrote:I believe various roof carriers have been bodged onto Surly Big Dummies though.

My Google-fu is failing me, but the bike mechanic who works under Rapha in Manchester has such a thing.

Rapha - Manchester - you'll have to forgive my ignorance - but this is my first knowledge.
That's amazing - the depth of involvement - I'd recommend any/everyone to have a look.
http://www.Rapha cc
I'm only on the other side of the hill, in Halifax, but I never knew................
I shall learn more.