Improving prformance in elderly.

djnotts

Re: Improving prformance in elderly.

Post by djnotts »

Cyril Haearn wrote:Rich enough too, but not as rich as many on these fora
I wait for good weather, in summer I like to go out late in the gloaming, don't mind getting wet
dj, I think you do not use an ebike, right?

No, not yet! Settle for easier routes. Rarely more than 25 miles. Just completed 101 consecutive days of averaging just over 20 a day. Whether or not I live long enough to need electric is doubtful - guess we'll all get covid sooner or later, with my lungs when i do will die. And then there's my other C which may or may not spread quickly.

Keep rolling while I can. When I can't cycle without electric might go back to m'cycle!
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

reohn2 wrote:Cyril
Your outlook on cycling and indeed on life it by no means common.

That could be a compliment :wink:
Maybe, but I am very lucky too (made my own luck in part)
I am so lucky I do not need to spend a lot of money on an €€€-bike
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Cyril Haearn wrote:

Wait a while.....
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

reohn2 wrote:
Cyril Haearn wrote:

Wait a while.....

Got a plan, upgrade to trike, there are a few around here, one with two front wheels looks interesting
Shall not be cornering like tatanab, mind
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

Cyril Haearn wrote:

Did you know that people spend lots of ££££ on bikes other that ebikes? And my bike is nearly 20 years old.
John
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Cyril Haearn wrote:
reohn2 wrote:
Cyril Haearn wrote:That could be a compliment :wink:

Wait a while.....

Got a plan, upgrade to trike, there are a few around here, one with two front wheels looks interesting
Shall not be cornering like tatanab, mind

You'll still have to pedal it and it'll weigh a lot more too.
As you get older you'll not be able to ride as far,that's where an e-bike would score.
Should you wish to cycle as far as you do now you may be forced to put the bike in the car to get you part way where you wish to go,if your previous posts are anything to go by you're not too keen on driving either,which leaves you with public transport who aren't keen on bikes on buses or some trains.
Basically without elec assist as you become weaker with age your range becomes more limited which in turn means your cycling life is more limited.
The choice will yours alone,but don't knock what you've no experience of.
W H Auden
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

10 years ago I would have said I am fit: I will remain fit. I never envisaged any falling off of my strength.

It happens, I'm afraid.
John
Antbrewer

Post by Antbrewer »

Gosh you lot are up early?????
Cyril my friend you do say some interesting things.......

1 ''I should not want to expose my beloved cycle to the elements,'' Surely you do this every time you are out on your bike ( overtaking all those olddies on the ebikes?)

2 ''Although I am very open to trying and understanding new things,'' From all you have said I find this hard to believe!

This week I have used my city bike numerous times locally and shopping. Went for a flattish ride with a pal on my touring bike. Also a ride more hilly on my ebike. A choice of 3 bikes for different rides and occasions. Super.
Regarding your trike comment. I used to ride a racing trike in the 60s and also a tandem . So I have ridden nearly all but I don't think I up for a unicycle. Unlike that wonderful youngster Ed Pratt who went around the world on one.

Sadly Oldjohnw fitness can easily tail off with age and probably will in spite of fighting it. We just cut the cloth according? Couple of options available.
An ebike ( I hear they are very good) or just a rocket up your backside.
DaveBeck

Post by DaveBeck »

I'm as fit as fit can be, ate healthily, Outdoor education instructor and very keen cyclist. Commute 26 miles each way to work etc and 59 years old. But then 14 weeks ago, a little chunk of cholesterol decided to break away and block an important artery in my heart, two hours later I'm in the operating theatre, watching them repair my heart with a stent, on the big TV monitor. Best thing I'd seen on TV for years MickF!

Luckily for me, because they got to me early and probably because of my level of fitness, I am out riding my road and mountain bikes again, and with the doctors approval I am now riding the sort of distances I did before. Albeit a bit slower at the moment, especially up the hills. so I still don't need an e-bike.

BUT, has it changed my opinion of e-bikes? Not in the slightest. I have a lot of friends that I ride with that use them. For some of them it means they can still go out and ride in our Club alongside the non e-bike riders. For others it's the difference between riding and not riding, which means they can still remain fit, healthy and most importantly, happy. So I think they have a very important role to play in helping to keep keep the older riders active, by doing something they love and keeping in touch with their friends. And at the end of the day, it's none of my business whether they have a little assistance or not. They're not trying to cheat me out of a prize, so I can't see the problem.

Will I ever have an e-bike? Maybe one day. At the moment I can get along fine, but if I can't, then plug me in!

Dave B
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Great post. Totally agree. Glad you're doing well.

But the stuff that detaches itself and blocks the plumbing downstream is usually atheroma rather than cholesterol.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atheroma

Jonathan
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

Antbrewer wrote:Gosh you lot are up early?????
Cyril my friend you do say some interesting things.......

1 ''I should not want to expose my beloved cycle to the elements,'' Surely you do this every time you are out on your bike ( overtaking all those olddies on the ebikes?)

2 ''Although I am very open to trying and understanding new things,'' From all you have said I find this hard to believe!

This week I have used my city bike numerous times locally and shopping. Went for a flattish ride with a pal on my touring bike. Also a ride more hilly on my ebike. A choice of 3 bikes for different rides and occasions. Super.
Regarding your trike comment. I used to ride a racing trike in the 60s and also a tandem . So I have ridden nearly all but I don't think I up for a unicycle. Unlike that wonderful youngster Ed Pratt who went around the world on one.

Sadly Oldjohnw fitness can easily tail off with age and probably will in spite of fighting it. We just cut the cloth according? Couple of options available.
An ebike ( I hear they are very good) or just a rocket up your backside.

Yes. I found the ebike preferable to a rocket. It happened after a hernia that went wrong.
John
DaveBeck

Post by DaveBeck »

Jdsk wrote:Great post. Totally agree. Glad you're doing well.

But the stuff that detaches itself and blocks the plumbing downstream is usually atheroma rather than cholesterol.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atheroma

Jonathan

Thanks! That's interesting reading.

It's something I've got to live with now and it'll probably get me eventually. But that's life! So as long as I follow the doctors advice and be careful, I think I've got to make the most of it while I can, especially these days.

Dave B
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

@antbrewer
You drove to Stratford to do a short ride in awful heat, why? I should have stayed at home

I am interested in trying strange things, climbing towers for instance, but I can cycle too fast even now, just do not need an ebike. It increases speed and thus danger. I guess I am lucky, but I also chose to live where there are few hills, so cycling is easy. There are shops near home, I walk to shop. Used to do long rides in new places, now I am content to have just a few different routes with few hills. Not boring, weather and colours change daily

Later I may get a trike. For me an ebike is as unnecessary as power steering or air-conditioning in a motor

Just read about towbar mounted carriers, the carrier might weigh 21 kg, max load is 75 kg, 54 kg for two ebikes? Best to keep comfortably inside the limit

I shall continue using my traditional cycle without a motor as long as possible, I wish others would do the same
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

I shall continue using my traditional cycle without a motor as long as possible, I wish others would do the same

I did.

It is rarely a good idea judging others' circumstances.
John
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Cyril Haearn wrote: ..........I shall continue using my traditional cycle without a motor as long as possible, I wish others would do the same

Your wish won't come true so you may as well put with it and get used to the idea :wink:
W H Auden