Cycle scrappage

briansnail

Cycle scrappage

Post by briansnail »

A fervent and vocal car lobby is at work for a new car scrappage scheme post COVID. Cycle manufacturers are content with a yawn and napping.The 60's was a long time ago.Car parks no longer have lines of cars built in UK.Why do we need to subsidise strong economies abroad.Cycles will help beat COVID freeing up buses and trains and tubes.I love my Brompton. So much so I never leave home without it and will probably be buried alongside this iconic bike.Here's the thing UK cycle companies like Brompton helped the NHS during the crisis loaning bikes.Its fully assembled in the United Kingdom.Bikes also cut down on road maintenance and reduce global warming and keep people fit and healthy reducing costs to the NHS. So why don't British cycle companies like these form their own powerful lobby group.They do pay their fair share of UK company tax unlike overseas car companies who post Brexit are positively itching to relocate.50 % of costs if you scrap a bike for one assembled in the UK and 80% if sourced from British built components.We have nothing to lose but our rusty old bikes with a campaign to support the UK cycle industry.
NUKe

Re: Cycle scrappage

Post by NUKe »

Cycles have the cycle to work schemes where you can buy a bike with a pre tax loan.

Also don't make the mistake that cars aren't built in Britain anymore we have Minis, Hondas Toyotas and Nissans all building cars in Britain plus many less mainstream manufacturers lotus, Caterham, and Atom to name a few prestige Marks Rolls and Bentley Along with a thriving parts business.
NUKe

Post by merseymouth »

Alright NUKe, cars are till built in Britain. But all of the profits exit PDQ! Every car maker take pleasure out of arm wrestling loads of dosh from HMG by holding the jobs to ransom! Repeat the process at regular intervals, care not a jot at the stress occasioned to the workers.
Mind you also in the queue will be the plane makers, airlines, banks et al! MM
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Cycle scrappage and lobbying are important topics.

Do they have to be mixed up with theories of decline, trade and wealth creation?

Jonathan
Last edited by Jdsk on 25 Jun 2020, 6:11pm, edited 1 time in total.
De Sisti

Post by De Sisti »

briansnail wrote:A fervent and vocal car lobby is at work for a new car scrappage scheme post COVID. Cycle manufacturers are content with a yawn and napping. The 60's was a long time ago.Car parks no longer have lines of cars built in UK. Why do we need to subsidise strong economies abroad? Cycles will help beat COVID freeing up buses and trains and tubes. I love my Brompton. So much so I never leave home without it and will probably be buried alongside this iconic bike.

Here's the thing, UK cycle companies like Brompton helped the NHS during the crisis loaning bikes. It's fully assembled in the United Kingdom. Bikes also cut down on road maintenance and reduce global warming and keep people fit and healthy reducing costs to the NHS. So why don't British cycle companies like these form their own powerful lobby group? They do pay their fair share of UK company tax unlike overseas car companies who post Brexit are positively itching to relocate.

50% of costs if you scrap a bike for one assembled in the UK, and 80% if sourced from British built components. We have nothing to lose but our rusty old bikes with a campaign to support the UK cycle industry.
Last edited by De Sisti on 25 Jun 2020, 6:04pm, edited 2 times in total.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Scrapping cycles is madness, scrapping motors is good

One might say that motors are assembled in Britain, not built :?
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

I prefer to keep my old timer on the road. Old cars pollute, which is part of the reason for scrapping them. Old bikes don't.
John
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Agree about the difference from ICE vehicles on emissions, but there are good economic arguments for stimulus, especially at the moment.

Jonathan
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

briansnail wrote:A fervent and vocal car lobby is at work for a new car scrappage scheme post COVID. Cycle manufacturers are content with a yawn and napping.The 60's was a long time ago.Car parks no longer have lines of cars built in UK.Why do we need to subsidise strong economies abroad.Cycles will help beat COVID freeing up buses and trains and tubes.I love my Brompton. So much so I never leave home without it and will probably be buried alongside this iconic bike.Here's the thing UK cycle companies like Brompton helped the NHS during the crisis loaning bikes.Its fully assembled in the United Kingdom.Bikes also cut down on road maintenance and reduce global warming and keep people fit and healthy reducing costs to the NHS. So why don't British cycle companies like these form their own powerful lobby group.They do pay their fair share of UK company tax unlike overseas car companies who post Brexit are positively itching to relocate.50 % of costs if you scrap a bike for one assembled in the UK and 80% if sourced from British built components.We have nothing to lose but our rusty old bikes with a campaign to support the UK cycle industry.
You make several reasonable points. However, the thing is - most people don't care. Most people (not us, obs.) are stupid, selfish and ignorant. And what most people want is what effects the decisions we live under. You have a choice: Get over it, do your own thing and forget all about what most people want and do, or go mad, attempting the unequal struggle.
Me, I'm gonna get on me Brompton and go for a ride - I'm opting for cremation when I go - wonder if my Brompton will fit in the oven?
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Jdsk wrote:Agree about the difference from ICE vehicles on emissions, but there are good economic arguments for stimulus, especially at the moment.

Jonathan

There are good arguments for not stimulating the economy to grow and use ever more resources, there are too many motors
Best to scrap and NOT replace a few millipn
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
whoof

Post by whoof »

Other than Brompton and Moulton (very small volumes) is there much of a British cycle industry (other than retailers)?
I've got eight bikes with companies based; 4 USA, 1 Italy, 1 France and 2 UK.
None of the frames are made in the UK (mainly Taiwan) and the vast majority of the components; Japanese companies (probably made in Indonesia), some bars and stems Italy (probably made in the Far East) a little bit of French and German tyres (some of which probably made in Thailand).
I do have one Brookes saddle, made in UK owned by Italian company.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

whoof

Post by whoof »

Jdsk wrote:"Top Ten British Cycling Companies"
https://www.rutlandcycling.com/content/top-ten-british-cycling-brands.aspx

Jonathan

Yes, as I said. Brompton at the top, Whyte no 2, Exposure lights no 3 Cateye probably sell more lights in week than Exposure do in a year, by the time you get to no.5 Frog Bikes as the article says 'a small company'. Burgtec??

There isn't a major manufacturer on the list.
Last edited by whoof on 26 Jun 2020, 9:51am, edited 1 time in total.
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

If that list is it, then...
what we don't want is the sort of unsavoury carnage that happened down at BPC today, with cars just parked and left anywhere, irrespective of fines and volunteer marshals spat at - really quite depressing. Presumably (and I'm going full-on Grumpy Old Man here...) these are the sort of people, behaving on the sort of way that are normally out in Costa del Sol etc.etc.
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

"Here’s what happened when a country let people trade in old cars for electric bikes, scooters"
https://electrek.co/2020/11/01/lithuania-trade-in-old-cars-for-electric-bikes-scooters/

Lithuania (which we might have got to this year except for...).

Jonathan