Specialized Allez: which new group set ?

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
A_Don94

Specialized Allez: which new group set ?

Post by A_Don94 »

I have got a specialized allez, but looking for a new group set but have no idea what would fit. Does anyone have any advice what would work?
Attachments
received_263850458252365.jpeg
Last edited by ncutler on 26 Jun 2020, 8:47pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Add descriptive title
Des49

Re: Specialized Allez: which new group set ?

Post by Des49 »

That looks the same model as I brought 2nd hand about 3 years ago as a training bike for one of my daughters. It really hadn't been looked after well and I got a full Shimano 105 11sp groupset for it for a surprisingly low price in a sale.

Plus the new 105 brakes had enough clearance to fit proper mudguards underneath with 25mm tyres.

Also built some new wheels, Kinlin rims, assymetrical rear rim, 105 hubs.

This made it a really great bike, even did a road race on it myself.
fatboy

Post by fatboy »

Why do you want to change? It will cost a fortune for IMHO minor benefits.
"Marriage is a wonderful invention; but then again so is the bicycle puncture repair kit." - Billy Connolly
Samuel D

Post by Samuel D »

The cable housing lengths for the rear brake are a mile out. Quick-release skewers incorrectly positioned. Usually bikes that look like that have other set-up problems. An hour with a good mechanic may transform how it works.

Hard to tell from this photo, but I’d expect most modern kit to fit, not that it would make you faster if that’s the hope. Almost any other choice of road tyre would, though.
bazzo

Post by bazzo »

Samuel D wrote:The cable housing lengths for the rear brake are a mile out. Quick-release skewers incorrectly positioned. Usually bikes that look like that have other set-up problems. An hour with a good mechanic may transform how it works.

Hard to tell from this photo, but I’d expect most modern kit to fit, not that it would make you faster if that’s the hope. Almost any other choice of road tyre would, though.

I position my skewers on the left of the bike, I didn’t know this was correct, just a matter of personal opinion. Thanks for the info.
peetee

Post by peetee »

I agree with Samuel D about fine tuning what is on there. If what you have is worn out, I would guess it’s an 8 speed system so it’s likely Your rear wheel will only take up to a 10 speed cassette so the best option if the wheels are ok is Shimano Tiagra 4800.
The older I get the more I’m inclined to act my shoe size, not my age.
Samuel D

Post by Samuel D »

bazzo wrote:I position my skewers on the left of the bike, I didn’t know this was correct, just a matter of personal opinion.

The rear quick-release lever is butted up against the chain stay where it cannot be pulled with any force. That only works if it’s not tight enough. No guarantee it’s fully home either: the frame might have prevented that. These problems are avoided by pointing the lever between the seat and chain stays.

Regarding the cables, scroll down to “This cable housing is too long” on Sheldon Brown’s cable set-up page and compare with the [more extreme] problem in A_Don94’s bike. Cable routed like that makes for miserable braking.

Good point about cassette compatibility, peetee. An alternative to Tiagra 4700 is one of the new breed of 11-speed cassettes that fit on 10-speed hubs by dishing the largest sprocket in toward the spokes. Only works with large sprockets but that’s the trend anyway.
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

A_Don94 wrote:I have got a specialized allez, but looking for a new group set but have no idea what would fit. Does anyone have any advice what would work?

OK are you sitting down? Good, prepare for an unexpected answer:

I would not bother to change groupset parts on that bike.

Why?

Because it doesn't fit you. The frame is -judging from the saddle height- about two sizes too big; really that frame is meant for someone at least 6" taller. Between the stem and the top tube length the handlebars are likely to be about 2 or 3" too far away (and no, you shouldn't move the saddle further forwards in an attempt to compensate). Unless you are a very unusual shape that bike will never be right for you, so changing groupset parts is just a waste of time and money. As a short term measure I would buy a much shorter stem (to suit) whilst looking for another bike.

Sorry to be blunt but spending money on 'upgrades' for a bike that doesn't fit you is invariably best avoided.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Jamesh

Post by Jamesh »

Imho you would be better off selling and buying another bike.

Cheaper and less hassle.

Cheers James
A_Don94

Post by A_Don94 »

Cheers for the all advice, I think I'll sell it on and look at a new one.
TrevA

Post by TrevA »

I recently watched a YouTube video, where someone compared the cost of upgrading a Shimano Claris Cannondale Optimo to 105, and the cost of buying a new Cannondale Caad12 with a 105 groupset. Although it was in dollars, it demonstrated that it was actually cheaper to buy a new bike than to upgrade the groupset, because you would need new 11 speed wheels in addition to the shifters, front and rear mechs, chain, cassette and chainset, that you would need to buy to upgrade to 11 speed.
Sherwood CC and Notts CTC.
A cart horse trapped in the body of a man.
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

TrevA wrote:I recently watched a YouTube video, where someone compared the cost of upgrading a Shimano Claris Cannondale Optimo to 105, and the cost of buying a new Cannondale Caad12 with a 105 groupset. Although it was in dollars, it demonstrated that it was actually cheaper to buy a new bike than to upgrade the groupset, because you would need new 11 speed wheels in addition to....

In all fairness this isn't necessarily the case; if you are going to use an 11-34 cassette there are 11s 'road' cassettes that fit to 8/9/10s freehub bodies, so in this case no new wheels required.

cheers
mig

Post by mig »

Brucey wrote:
A_Don94 wrote:I have got a specialized allez, but looking for a new group set but have no idea what would fit. Does anyone have any advice what would work?

OK are you sitting down? Good, prepare for an unexpected answer:

I would not bother to change groupset parts on that bike.

Why?

Because it doesn't fit you. The frame is -judging from the saddle height- about two sizes too big; really that frame is meant for someone at least 6" taller. Between the stem and the top tube length the handlebars are likely to be about 2 or 3" too far away (and no, you shouldn't move the saddle further forwards in an attempt to compensate). Unless you are a very unusual shape that bike will never be right for you, so changing groupset parts is just a waste of time and money. As a short term measure I would buy a much shorter stem (to suit) whilst looking for another bike.

Sorry to be blunt but spending money on 'upgrades' for a bike that doesn't fit you is invariably best avoided.

cheers

i take your point there but has the OP just acquired this bike and the heights, reaches are set for the prior owner who was getting rid of it as it was much too big?

a new forum member at a time of high second hand bike sales. i do see many on the roads at the moment with similar problems.
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

mig wrote: i take your point there but has the OP just acquired this bike and the heights, reaches are set for the prior owner who was getting rid of it as it was much too big?

a new forum member at a time of high second hand bike sales. i do see many on the roads at the moment with similar problems.

it could be the case, but if so, that means it at least won't be hard to sell the bike on. I guess finding a bike that is the right size and has a groupset on it that is more to the OP's liking won't necessarily be easy or quick but they can ride the extant bike around while they are looking. I would wager the swap will work out a less expensive than a bunch of upgrades.

cheers
TrevA

Post by TrevA »

A new 105 groupset is around £475 on Wiggle. If he needs a new set of wheels, then even a set of training wheels will be £100-150. Plus fitting if the OP doesn’t have the expertise to do it himself (+£100?).

A brand new Specialized Allez Elite with a 105 groupset is £1050. Though they’ve sold out until November. Or you could by an equivalent Van Rysel 105 equipped bike from Decathlon, available now in all sizes for £875.

Is it worth upgrading?
Sherwood CC and Notts CTC.
A cart horse trapped in the body of a man.
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com