Returning to cycling - new or used?

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
vatreno

Returning to cycling - new or used?

Post by vatreno »

Hi all,
After a while and some issues that mean when I start cycling it will be very minimal distances and only occasionally, I am returning to cycling and need a bike. Given the way I'll use it, I have allocated a £400 budget. Mainly footpaths, bridleways and backroads, so it will be an MTB or hybrid.

The question is - do I buy something secondhand like a Boardman/Trek/Specialized for £300 and get it serviced, or spend the money on a brand new for example Cube Aim hardtail from Wiggle, or a Carrera from H*lfords (something like https://www.halfords.com/bikes/mountain ... 40910.html is £325) ?

thanks for the advice
eileithyia

Re: Returning to cycling - new or used?

Post by eileithyia »

Normally I would advocate new, even if it is just a fairly cheap bike. However many shops are seriously depleted of choice and re-supply is not a guarantee for a few months for some models.

So a secondhand one to start on especially on short miles might be your best bet at the moment and watch out later in the year for any bargains from those who bought a lock down bike in a rush.
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
vatreno

Post by vatreno »

Funny you should say that about new bikes as just checking availability it seems bike shop owners are now sleeping on beds of crisp new £20 notes as there's naff all available. I think I'll maybe leave it a couple of months and see as people return to work if they want to sell off their impulse purchases. Still welcome thoughts about what "nearly new" models are best - or just stick with the makes I've heard of.
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

You could be waiting a bit longer than a couple of months, they'll get stashed in sheds, forgotten about then the weather will turn, and will still be forgotten about, I reckon some of them might collect dust for a good few months before they are sold on...

Might be just worth getting one now while the weather is still decent.
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
col2019

Post by col2019 »

I would go second hand and try and pick up a nice one ,youll just be getting lets say not a very good bike new at that price new
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

I would have thought buying 2nd hand not to easy either? The trouble with 2nd hand it could have worn out chains and gear block etc, so the cost mounnt up esp if you get a dealer to do it for you.

Last week I met a guy at Tooting common who had bought a bike for about £100 to get to work during the troubles, he was some kind of arborist doing work on the trees there. As a newbie he had left the bike locked up to a lamp post, when he came back at midday the front wheel had been stolen. He phoned around local cycle shops and was quoted £100 for a new front wheel and tyre etc

Buying anything 2nd hand you need to know your onions?
CyberKnight

Post by CyberKnight »

for the sort of riding the OP has stated i would have thought that the hardtail listed would have been over kill and a non suspension hybrid or cx style bike would have been a better choice.
Its very hard to get hold of any bike new or used atm , i have just got my c2w vouchers as i was going to buy a disc road bike for commuting and i was told to just keep checking stock in the hope they get some and im limited to provider by my scheme and voucher value i got.
dont discount decathlon if they have any stock as their bikes are good value for money .
John Wayne: "I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on... I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them."
vatreno

Post by vatreno »

Yep one of my searches took me into Decathlon - I was looking through Facebook marketplace and found a "Triban" which I'd never heard of, and a google took me to Decathlon. Useful info to know they make good VFM bikes, but as you said pretty much everywhere is out of stock.

Thanks for the replies so far
Brian73

Post by Brian73 »

Decathlon are a French sports retailer with several superstores in the UK.

I have had a few of their B'Twin bikes. No major problems, except for the cones on the wheel hubs that tend to be done up far too tight.

Triban is the brand name for their race bikes. If you're going to use it on anything other than tarmac I'd look at their Rockrider range or Riverside range.

Prices are keen at the moment. I just sold 2 bog standard aluminium race bikes for 2.5x what I paid for them. I bought them second hand off ebay a couple of years ago when nobody wanted aluminium race bikes.
Colin Grigson

Post by Colin Grigson »

I would recommend secondhand too having been in your position a couple of months ago. I opted for a race bike I couldn’t afford new and I’m as pleased as punch with it. Good luck whichever route you choose 8)