Go Outdoors

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
pete75

Re: Go Outdoors

Post by pete75 »

colin146 wrote:928CD0D4-5607-4E18-B7EF-912AD89CEC3E.jpeg

Abandoned tents following a music festival.

When modern day society thinks this is the correct way to go about their business then I despair.

Years ago you fixed / reproofed your Vango or equivalent and made it last, even perhaps passed on to your kids. Now relatively speaking stuff is so cheap it’s used once and becomes someone else’s rubbish problem.

Effectively charitable donations. Teams of people go around the campsites after the festival dismantling tents which are then donated to relief charities.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

Also the relationship between prices of items has changed. Tickets to festivals used to be teenage pocket money, Glastonbury this year is (would have been) £265. Tents used to be expensive, now they're much cheaper than the tickets. We've seen similar relationship changes in more mundane areas too, such as food and housing or clothes and transport.
colin146

Post by colin146 »

pete75 wrote:

When modern day society thinks this is the correct way to go about their business then I despair.

Years ago you fixed / reproofed your Vango or equivalent and made it last, even perhaps passed on to your kids. Now relatively speaking stuff is so cheap it’s used once and becomes someone else’s rubbish problem.

Effectively charitable donations. Teams of people go around the campsites after the festival dismantling tents which are then donated to relief charities.

I could empathise a bit more with that if they had the grace to take it down and pack and leave somewhere. Just walking away still signifies a degree of “so what, not my problem “
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

colin146 wrote:
pete75 wrote:

I could empathise a bit more with that if they had the grace to take it down and pack and leave somewhere. Just walking away still signifies a degree of “so what, not my problem “

Same mentality as Bournemouth beach wallers ! :?
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

A problem today - maybe always? - is the attitude that "I pay my taxes to get someone to clean up."

We know society's view of 'unskilled' labour.
John
wirral_cyclist

Post by wirral_cyclist »

pete75 wrote:

But not true, festivals goers might like to think they could be used but they are simply so bad to be no use. Probably they all know they can't be used but tell everyone how giving they are - when in fact they are the opposite.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Bmblbzzz wrote:Also the relationship between prices of items has changed. Tickets to festivals used to be teenage pocket money, Glastonbury this year is (would have been) £265. Tents used to be expensive, now they're much cheaper than the tickets. We've seen similar relationship changes in more mundane areas too, such as food and housing or clothes and transport.

Do you have empirical evidence? :wink:
Sorry, I think that is partly right, had not occurred to me. I guess festivals were spontaneous, chaotic, back then. Now they are business
Not sure about clothes and transport, I think both have got cheaper. Maybe the offer prices have spread, cycles for example can now be very very cheap or very expensive
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
pete75

Post by pete75 »

wirral_cyclist wrote:
pete75 wrote:

But not true, festivals goers might like to think they could be used but they are simply so bad to be no use. Probably they all know they can't be used but tell everyone how giving they are - when in fact they are the opposite.

It is true for many of the tents. In any case what the hell business of yours is it if a person buys a tent and decides to use it only once?
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

pete75 wrote:
wirral_cyclist wrote:
pete75 wrote:

It is true for many of the tents. In any case what the hell business of yours is it if a person buys a tent and decides to use it only once?

It is all our business, criminal waste of resources
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
pete75

Post by pete75 »

Cyril Haearn wrote:
pete75 wrote:
wirral_cyclist wrote:

It is all our business, criminal waste of resources

Folk can do what the hell they like with their own money/possessions as long as it's not illegal. The fact you may disapprove doesn't make it criminal.
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

Cyril Haearn wrote:
Bmblbzzz wrote:Also the relationship between prices of items has changed. Tickets to festivals used to be teenage pocket money, Glastonbury this year is (would have been) £265. Tents used to be expensive, now they're much cheaper than the tickets. We've seen similar relationship changes in more mundane areas too, such as food and housing or clothes and transport.

Do you have empirical evidence? :wink:
Sorry, I think that is partly right, had not occurred to me. I guess festivals were spontaneous, chaotic, back then. Now they are business
Not sure about clothes and transport, I think both have got cheaper. Maybe the offer prices have spread, cycles for example can now be very very cheap or very expensive

Clothes have definitely got cheaper. For transport, I was thinking of bus and train fares rather than bikes, cars and so on. I'd agree you can buy a bike or a car comparatively cheaper than back in the 80s.
PH

Post by PH »

pete75 wrote:In any case what the hell business of yours is it if a person buys a tent and decides to use it only once?

The waste of finite resources ought to be the business of us all. The selfish attitude that people can do whatever they want and to hell with future generations has to stop.
One of the stories in this weeks headlines is the microplastics in fruit and vegetables. Do you think that is none of my business? Or are you unable to link the waste and its consequences?
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

PH wrote:
pete75 wrote:In any case what the hell business of yours is it if a person buys a tent and decides to use it only once?

The waste of finite resources ought to be the business of us all. The selfish attitude that people can do whatever they want and to hell with future generations has to stop.
One of the stories in this weeks headlines is the microplastics in fruit and vegetables. Do you think that is none of my business? Or are you unable to link the waste and its consequences?

I agree and I also think somethings that are now quite legal need clamping down on and making illegal,especially single use plastics.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
pete75

Post by pete75 »

PH wrote:

What I think is that you should mind your own business and let others mind theirs. The number of sanctimonious "I know what's best for everyone else" types appears to be increasing at a rapid rate.
pete75

Post by pete75 »

wirral_cyclist wrote:
pete75 wrote:

Well if the tents are so bad to be of no use after being up for a few days you need to blame the manufacturers not the festival goers.