Which group is the worst? Is that fair?

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Cyril Haearn

Re: Which group is the worst? Is that fair?

Post by Cyril Haearn »

The answer is obvious, drivers are the worst
How many walkers or cyclists injure or kill drivers?
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Oldjohnw wrote:And of course if ever we need a vaccine for something horrible, stuff evidence. Just drink bleach. I heard it works.

Evidence is obviously overrated.

Is that humour, sarcasm, serious, or what?
Not sure what that is supposed to mean, if it has anything to do with the discussion?
I think I shall go cycling today and make some observations. You could do likewise
Ellieb

Post by Ellieb »

Ever stood by a red light and watched cyclists ignore it. After all we know that thousands of cyclists ignore red lights. A fact we can all observe whilst driving our cars.
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Groups are not 'the worst'.

The implications of their errors or transgressions do vary significantly, however.

How about we characterise it thus?
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

The evidence of my eyes is that when I am stopped at lights on my bike several cyclist will just go shooting past. The cars remain stationary.
John
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

The cops should teach road users to read STOP signs. Motorists first, of course (is that discrimination?), then cyclists

I used to cycle in town, at some junctions the least unsafe way to proceed was to move off a moment before the light went green
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Cyril Haearn wrote:The cops should teach road users to read STOP signs. Motorists first, of course (is that discrimination?), then cyclists

I used to cycle in town, at some junctions the least unsafe way to proceed was to move off a moment before the light went green

How did you find that latter fact out?
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Bonefishblues wrote:
Cyril Haearn wrote:The cops should teach road users to read STOP signs. Motorists first, of course (is that discrimination?), then cyclists

'Facts', do we have those here? Motors have green at the same time as cyclists, if they move off promptly cyclists are in trouble
Solved the problem by moving home :?
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Cyril Haearn wrote:
Bonefishblues wrote:

'Facts', do we have those here? Motors have green at the same time as cyclists, if they move off promptly cyclists are in trouble
Solved the problem by moving home :?

You stated it, so I took it that you were stating a fact. Sorry if I misinterpreted speculation/opinion, it's sometime hard to tell, absent any further information. I asked you how you found it out, by way of an enquiry, I thought.

Why are cyclists in trouble in that circumstance?
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Because drivers turning off cross their path
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Cyril Haearn wrote:Because drivers turning off cross their path

What is your view of cyclists breaking the law in that circumstance? (I'm assuming that your two statements are connected, i.e. moving off early for safety and cars turning across their path)
merseymouth

Post by merseymouth »

Hello again, So to improve our chances of staying alive and healthy, apart from Covid, we have to wait until my bum heals over? We must amass piles of acceptable evidence. But acceptable to whom???
That must mean the "Usual Suspects", the ones who don't believe the sights in front of their own eyes! Take up a comfortable position at virtually any light controlled junction, avoid using an obvious camera, then stay there for say one hour. The count of offenders will be sizeable.
Don't rely on a film camera to collect images, unless it is something like a Nikon with a 250 exposure back!
Low res digital, using a waist level viewer will do nicely, just click away at the sinners.
My experience is you will be quite busy.
Of course if the authorities actually bothered to do such a project, preferably as a proper court level evidence exercise then maybe we could eliminate the perils which we encounter on a regular basis. Actions not moans, remove the danger idiots off the roads. MM
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Bonefishblues wrote:
Cyril Haearn wrote:Because drivers turning off cross their path

What is your view of cyclists breaking the law in that circumstance? (I'm assuming that your two statements are connected, i.e. moving off early for safety and cars turning across their path)

Two wrongs make a right, cycling one commits the smaller wrong
ANTONISH

Post by ANTONISH »

Ellieb wrote:Ever stood by a red light and watched cyclists ignore it. After all we know that thousands of cyclists ignore red lights. A fact we can all observe whilst driving our cars.

I regularly see cars continuing across a red light - while I am driving. It's particularly noticeable at a multi junction system ironically overlooked by the large Police station at Gillingham in Kent - not a cycle friendly location although the usual circuitous alternative is available.

I also regularly see drivers jumping the red at traffic lights under a rail bridge.

I sometimes see cyclists jump red lights but not often - perhaps it's a big city thing.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Tangled Metal wrote:But is it fair to condemn all for minority of miscreants among each group?.......

No it isn't,people are people and therefore there are idiots among any group of people whether that be cyclist,motorists,dog walkers,pedestrians,etc,etc.
It's people innit?
Thankfully they're in the minority,but idiots driving cars potentially pose the most danger to others.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden