Ferries without pre booking

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
roberts8

Ferries without pre booking

Post by roberts8 »

Years ago when wandering around in Europe I used to just turn up without booking. I am looking at a non planned wander so could use any of the French ports. Is it still easy to just turn up and pay or am I getting nervous in old age?
chesterpete

Re: Ferries without pre booking

Post by chesterpete »

Given the current climate you would be well advised to check with operators before turning up.
nirakaro

Post by nirakaro »

Pre-Covid, I've taken a bike by ferry from Dover, Portsmouth, Newhaven, Calais, Dieppe, Ouistreham, Hull, Patras. Plus a few river crossings of the Seine, Rhine, Danube. Never booked, never had a problem.
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

The ones I've been to in last few years, Dunkirk and Caen have offices at the terminal where you can buy a ticket. I think it may be cheaper to buy in advance , which I did on my phone a couple of hours before getting to the port at Caen. Year before bought ticket at Dunkirk port office.

As I posted on another thread, it's sometimes cheaper to book one of the company's national website rather than another (French v British).

As said before, all bets are off in the current situation so you need to check. Also see post on Brittany Ferries not (??) allowing bikes.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Could be exciting, you might not get on at all, or you might get a very good price
Best to have a Plan B
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
roberts8

Post by roberts8 »

Thanks for the input. I was thinking September as I hope by then BF are back to taking bikes and foot passengers.
bikepacker

Post by bikepacker »

The only one I ever pre-booked on was Plymouth to Santander, this was only because I wanted a cabin. All the others I have just turned up and brought a ticket at the port.
There is your way. There is my way. But there is no "the way".
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

Cyril Haearn wrote:Could be exciting, you might not get on at all, or you might get a very good price
Best to have a Plan B

ie the phone numbers of the migrant traffickers with their rubber dinghys :wink:
RobinS

Post by RobinS »

An alternative to just turning up we have used is to book by smartphone a short while before wanting to travel - usually from 2 days down to 2 hours in advance. Pre-booked crossings even if booked 2 hours in advance are normally cheaper than just turning up.