Which group is the worst? Is that fair?

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Mick F
Spambuster

Re: Which group is the worst? Is that fair?

Post by Mick F »

Cyril Haearn wrote:Suggest you observe traffic at a STOP sign before commenting further, simples

Anyone who observes a driver stopping and applying the handbrake before proceeding could win a small prize :?
Why do they have to set the handbrake?

The law says you must stop at the line before crossing the junction.

Highway Code:
171. You MUST stop behind the line at a junction with a ‘Stop’ sign and a solid white line across the road. Wait for a safe gap in the traffic before you move off.
Laws RTA 1988 sect 36 & TSRGD regs 10 & 16
Mick F. Cornwall
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

I think I was taught to use the handbrake while learning to drive in a very hilly town

Mentioned it here to avoid having to award a prize :wink:
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
francovendee

Post by francovendee »

Bring on reliable, safe self driving cars. Stopping or not at lights would be no longer be an option.
I'm not sure how to stop cyclists doing the same thing though.
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Cyril Haearn wrote:
Bonefishblues wrote:
Cyril Haearn wrote:Because drivers turning off cross their path

What is your view of cyclists breaking the law in that circumstance? (I'm assuming that your two statements are connected, i.e. moving off early for safety and cars turning across their path)

Two wrongs make a right, cycling one commits the smaller wrong

There's only one wrong I can see?
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Drivers break the law too, by approaching cyclists too close, sneaking up from behind
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Cyril Haearn wrote:Drivers break the law too, by approaching cyclists too close, sneaking up from behind

:lol:
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Bonefishblues wrote:
Cyril Haearn wrote:Drivers break the law too, by approaching cyclists too close, sneaking up from behind

Nothing to laugh about
Not for the first time, I wonder what you are doing on these cycling fora
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Cyril Haearn wrote:
Bonefishblues wrote:

Nothing to laugh about
Not for the first time, I wonder what you are doing on these cycling fora

One might almost imagine that on rare occasions your style of posting was, well, almost designed to elicit a response. Sometimes it does.
I'm sorry if you were in some way offended by my chuckling at that post and its attendant imagery :D

As to your wondering what I am doing here, well perhaps not all cyclists see things exactly as others do v-a-v our relationship with other road users. Perhaps sometimes that might be seen as a good thing - that is, having a range of opinions about matters on the Forum.
DaveBeck

Post by DaveBeck »

I think any of us who drive or cycle have at some point in the past and probably will again in the future, have broken one of the many traffic laws. Be that not completely slowing to the speed limit until after we have passed the sign, or perhaps not coming to a complete halt (hand brake or not) at a mandatory stop junction for example. Anyone who says they haven't is just lying to themselves. However, the overwhelming majority of us will do this very infrequently, so although in one sense Cyril is probably right that all motorists brake the law, he probably needs to go further and acknowledge that ALL road users break the law.

But these are not deliberate acts in the same way as say, passing through a red light. That is deliberate and from my own unscientific observations of the Cornish roads, a much rarer occurrence here. Obviously I can't speak for other parts of the Country. Sadly, the last time I saw somebody jump a red light, about a month ago, it was a cyclist.

All we can do is be careful and try to treat others on the road the way we would wish to be treated, whether we are walking a dog, cycling, or driving a big lorry.

Dave B
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

I am proud to report having been followed home and briefly questioned by Sergeant West and Constable Mercia, after they observed that I was driving unusually slowly :wink:
Does that count as a traffic offence?
Ben@Forest

Post by Ben@Forest »

Bonefishblues wrote:As to your wondering what I am doing here, well perhaps not all cyclists see things exactly as others do v-a-v our relationship with other road users. Perhaps sometimes that might be seen as a good thing - that is, having a range of opinions about matters on the Forum.

If everyone's thinking alike then somebody isn't thinking (Gen. George Patton).
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Ben@Forest wrote:
Bonefishblues wrote:As to your wondering what I am doing here, well perhaps not all cyclists see things exactly as others do v-a-v our relationship with other road users. Perhaps sometimes that might be seen as a good thing - that is, having a range of opinions about matters on the Forum.

If everyone's thinking alike then somebody isn't thinking (Gen. George Patton).

I'd not heard that quote before, thanks :D
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

Cyril Haearn wrote:I am proud to report having been followed home and briefly questioned by Sergeant West and Constable Mercia, after they observed that I was driving unusually slowly :wink:

It might not be an offence but it might well be inconsiderate driving. But I wasn't there so don't know the circumstances.
John
Lakelander

Post by Lakelander »

Ow do
Sadly cyclists can’t even agree amongst ourselves.
Mountain bikers don’t like roadies,roadies often don’t like each other or tourers,tourers don’t like roadies,everyone seems to dislike MAMILs,commuters and BSO riders.
Maybe get our own house in order before condemning other groups to being the worst at anything?
ossie

Post by ossie »

Cyril Haearn wrote:I am proud to report having been followed home and briefly questioned by Sergeant West and Constable Mercia, after they observed that I was driving unusually slowly :wink:

It does actually. :wink:

Driving without reasonable consideration for other road users.....that aside they were probably more concerned 1. For your welfare or 2. You weren't drunk.

The same happened to my mum, twice - she still holds it against the local constabulary as some kind of infringement on her civil liberty.