HT2 chainset feels tight

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
CyberKnight

HT2 chainset feels tight

Post by CyberKnight »

rebuilt my old bike after a respray and the cranks dont spin freely like my other bikes who have a powerspline bb and a pf 30 bb, i made sure the crank arms wasnt overtightend and i read that cranks dont spin freely on ht2 ?
the bb is a few years old and had a dent in the plastic cup the crank arm rests on and i did bung a load of grease on the spindle
John Wayne: "I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on... I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them."
Brucey

Re: HT2 chainset feels tight

Post by Brucey »

HT2 BBs are not expensive and don't last forever (so you will need one sooner or later...?) so why not get a new one and try that? If that is draggy too then the most likely reason is that the frame needs facing properly.

If you have good Vernier calipers to hand you can check the assembled width of the BB with the cups in. If the width varies by more than a fraction of a mm then it is certain that one or both of the cups is on the slosh, and the BB shell needs facing (at least).

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
CyberKnight

Post by CyberKnight »

the bike was ok afaik , it was my winter bike that was looking very tatty so i had it sprayed, thinking about it the drive side cup did seem stiffer than normal to get in which i put down to maybe some paint in the threads even though it was sealed, it is the drive side cup that had the indentation of the crank arm when i stripped the bike .
John Wayne: "I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on... I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them."
CyberKnight

Post by CyberKnight »

Brucey wrote:HT2 BBs are not expensive and don't last forever (so you will need one sooner or later...?) so why not get a new one and try that? If that is draggy too then the most likely reason is that the frame needs facing properly.

If you have good Vernier calipers to hand you can check the assembled width of the BB with the cups in. If the width varies by more than a fraction of a mm then it is certain that one or both of the cups is on the slosh, and the BB shell needs facing (at least).

cheers

plan is to get a new BB £20 for tiagra (tiagra cranks ) but wondered if it was worth getting a more expensive one ?
Samuel D

Post by Samuel D »

Have you fitted the pedals yet? Typically the pedals have by far the most kinetic energy of the spinning crank components. Therefore, for a given starting speed, the cranks don’t spin nearly as long without pedals (a new build) as with pedals (after replacing the bottom bracket on a used bike).

But the seals of new HollowTech II bottom brackets are often considerably draggier than those of square-taper bottom brackets anyway. Not necessarily indicative of a problem.
CyberKnight

Post by CyberKnight »

Samuel D wrote:Have you fitted the pedals yet? Typically the pedals have by far the most kinetic energy of the spinning crank components. Therefore, for a given starting speed, the cranks don’t spin nearly as long without pedals (a new build) as with pedals (after replacing the bottom bracket on a used bike).

But the seals of new HollowTech II bottom brackets are often considerably draggier than those of square-taper bottom brackets anyway. Not necessarily indicative of a problem.

yes it is all built and its the old BB
keyboardmonkey

Post by keyboardmonkey »

CyberKnight wrote:plan is to get a new BB £20 for tiagra (tiagra cranks ) but wondered if it was worth getting a more expensive one ?

I have the old style (5700/6700) BB on my most used bike. A few years ago I bought a 6800 replacement for when the existing BB wore out. I subsequently fitted it on a friend’s bike and he got me another. So that’s what I will fit when the current one gives up the ghost.

It requires a different tool; however, the 6800 comes with a plastic adaptor, but it works best with the older style ringspanner-like tools rather than the older style open-ended ones - so I bought the proper Shimano tool before the prices went silly. Something to consider.