26" MTB rear wheel 7 speed - any good deals?

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
LittleGreyCat

26" MTB rear wheel 7 speed - any good deals?

Post by LittleGreyCat »

I'm looking for a rear wheel for my venerable MTB.
7 speed would be good.

There is so much choice out there I would be grateful for a pointer to quality at a sensible price.

Edit:

I assume double wall rims? Stronger?
Rim brake.
Freehub.
Quick release.
Bonzo Banana

Re: 26" MTB rear wheel 7 speed - any good deals?

Post by Bonzo Banana »

Best deals for wheels I find are ebay or amazon but you need to state a full spec. Is it freehub or freewheel and what is the dropout spacing of your frame. Could you fit a 8/9 speed freehub wheel with a spacer for a 7 speed cassette? No point getting a wheel designed for 135mm dropout spacing if your frame is 130mm. If your frame is steel you may be able to cold set it for 135mm but if its aluminium you cannot. Also even if it was originally a freewheel then perhaps upgrade to a freehub for better shifting and strength.
whoof

Post by whoof »

If it's 7 speed MTB freehub then it's most likely to be an OLN of 130 mm which is the same as 8/9 speed road hubs if you want to get a wheel built as 7 speed mtb hubs might be difficult to find.
LittleGreyCat

Post by LittleGreyCat »

whoof wrote:If it's 7 speed MTB freehub then it's most likely to be an OLN of 130 mm which is the same as 8/9 speed road hubs if you want to get a wheel built as 7 speed mtb hubs might be difficult to find.

Waved a tape measure at it and it might be 135 - will take the wheel out and measure properly tomorrow.
I assume OLN is the internal distance between the dropouts?
whoof

Post by whoof »

LittleGreyCat wrote:
whoof wrote:If it's 7 speed MTB freehub then it's most likely to be an OLN of 130 mm which is the same as 8/9 speed road hubs if you want to get a wheel built as 7 speed mtb hubs might be difficult to find.

Waved a tape measure at it and it might be 135 - will take the wheel out and measure properly tomorrow.
I assume OLN is the internal distance between the dropouts?

Sorry typo OLD over lock nut distance.
See link below and chart of spacings.

https://www.sheldonbrown.com/frame-spacing.html
Chris56

Post by Chris56 »

I've had a couple of 26" wheels off ebay over the last year or so. I've had one set from Wheelson and have had no complains. Came with disc nub and freehub. I have also purchased one from Madspeed7 which was a really good wheel with sealed bearings and disc hub, but the 8s freewheel that came with it was dire. I believe that if you buy one of their 7s wheels you get the Shimano freewheel.
Bonzo Banana

Post by Bonzo Banana »

If its 135mm then you can pretty much get a modern wheel with 8 speed freehub and use a spacer for a 7 speed cassette. Just make sure you buy a wheel with a rim brake compatible rim if that is what your bike needs, unsure how old your bike is. I picked up a new 7 speed freehub rear wheel for a £5 on ebay with £5 for postage, I think it was old stock and they weren't sure how to describe it or sell it. Definitely worth searching about, the wheel I bought was very poorly described but I could clearly see the 559 sizing and short freehub body. It was missing the quick release but overall great construction. 7 speed freehub wheels are often sold cheaply as not many people want them nowadays.
Brian73

Post by Brian73 »

This ebay seller has pretty much every type of 26 inch wheel

They have a selection of 130mm and 135mm OLD

Screw fit and freehub.

They also have a good selection of rim widths for older bikes with wider cantilever posts.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/Wheels-Wheelsets/177830/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_ipg=&_from=&_ssn=bankrupt_bike_parts