Stretching

Trigger

Stretching

Post by Trigger »

I generally do some stretching most days, but I've noticed I've not got any more supple/loose, is that normal?

Mainly I'm talking about hamstrings and reaching to the floor, I do this every day but it never gets easier nor do I get any better at it. Are some people just less 'stretchy' than others?
reohn2

Re: Stretching

Post by reohn2 »

How long have you been stretching?
How tight are you?
You need to 'hang in' for a while with arms folded overhead for a minute or more,the hams will stretch the longer you 'hang in',tense the quads as you hang
NOTE:- don't force the hang just let it happen naturally,gentle is good,forcing unnaturally is bad:wink:
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

I stretch my hamstrings laid on the floor using a resistance band a scarf would probably do same. Make sure you’ve done some activity before you get to this.
Laid on back I do straight leg hamstring then the inner thigh by putting the leg outwards. Followed by the outer thigh stretching leg inwards. That last one can bring tears to my eyes :)
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
ANTONISH

Post by ANTONISH »

Trigger wrote:I generally do some stretching most days, but I've noticed I've not got any more supple/loose, is that normal?

Mainly I'm talking about hamstrings and reaching to the floor, I do this every day but it never gets easier nor do I get any better at it. Are some people just less 'stretchy' than others?

I don't know about supple but I started stretching when I went to the gym - personal trainer ( I don't want to get into a discussion about that) insisted that I do stretches. I carried on doing it after cycling.
One benefit I find is that I am no longer prone to cramp.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

NHS: "Do I need to stretch before exercising?"
https://www.nhs.uk/live-well/exercise/stretch-before-exercising/

Cochrane Review: "Stretching to prevent or reduce muscle soreness after exercise"
https://www.cochrane.org/CD004577/MUSKINJ_stretching-to-prevent-or-reduce-muscle-soreness-after-exercise

Jonathan
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Trigger wrote:Are some people just less 'stretchy' than others?

Yes, there's enormous variation. NB a lot of that is in muscle tone rather than passive elasticity.

Jonathan
Richard36

Post by Richard36 »

Can I ask why you are stretching?

I know it might seem on the surface like an odd question - but are you doing it because you think you are tight; sore; you have been told to etc?

Richard
Lakelander

Post by Lakelander »

Ow do
I am quite supple from years of Martial arts but am still a lot less stretchy than I was 20 years ago.For instance I can no longer do the box splits but can do forward splits.I can easily bend forward and touch my toes/the floor but it takes a few minutes to achieve palms on the floor or my nose touching my knee.Various other stretches I can just about achieve but it takes a few warm up stretches.
I think the elasticity deteriorates with age if not practiced every day.
I always stretch to warm up/down before either riding or in the gym.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

The evidence for warming up to prevent injuries is much better...

Jonathan
Trigger

Post by Trigger »

In some respects I'm quite flexible and supple due to my job and having to work in tiny/awkward/confined spaces, but my hamstrings aren't very stretchy. It can take a while to touch my toes and even then it's only on a bounce, I never get any twinges or pain but I just thought being looser in that department would be better for cycling.
tim-b

Post by tim-b »

Hi
I just thought being looser in that department would be better for cycling...snip

Better all round otherwise you could get postural problems and pain. Cycling is notorious for its effect on your hamstrings; at the knee they're short and can become tight while at the hip they're stretched, which can lead to imbalance and problems
The hip flexors tend to be tight in cyclists as well, which again leads to imbalances in your muscles
Regards
tim-b
~~~~¯\(ツ)/¯~~~~
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

Yes, some people are more stretchy than others. Also, as we get older, we tend to get less stretchy. Stretching regularly can help prevent increasing flexibility with age, although things like arthritis can limit flexibility in spite of stretching and regular exercise, it would be worse without.

Someone who does a particular stretching exercise in order to improve flexibility can do so, but it can some time to produce results. If you have never been in the habit of stretching, you may not gain much, and if it has been years, you may only regain a portion of former flexibility.

That said, just stretching one area is unlikely to make any improvements by itself. Secondly, stretching before your muscles are warmed up is also unlikely to produce much in the way of improvement.

I would recommend stretching ~20 minutes into a ride, if you fell you need it, and stretching afterwards. But not just one area, or one stretch. Do several different stretches, including some that involve the back & upper body.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
Gearoidmuar

Except for ballet, karate and other similar pursuits...

Post by Gearoidmuar »

Stretching is not only not necessary but can cause injury.
I got achilles tendonitis in 1988. Lasted a year. Stopped stretching (which everyone at the time said you must do). It never came back.
I campaigned against stretching for years on-line and was roundly attacked for it.

Then the Australian army did a big trial on it. Showed it was useless.

Now what's the situation?
Very few runners stretch. My daughter has run in the Olympic Marathon. Neither she nor her clubmates stretch. It's remarkable at this stage if I see ANY good runner stretch.
My daughter's coach who ran in the Munich Olympic Marathon and in his time came second in the American XC championship always says..
"Did you ever see a racehorse stretch?"
Gearoidmuar

Except for ballet, karate and other similar pursuits...

Post by Gearoidmuar »

Stretching is not only not necessary but can cause injury.
I got achilles tendonitis in 1988. Lasted a year. Stopped stretching (which everyone at the time said you must do). It never came back.
I campaigned against stretching for years on-line and was roundly attacked for it.

Then the Australian army did a big trial on it. Showed it was useless.

Now what's the situation?
Very few runners stretch. My daughter has run in the Olympic Marathon. Neither she nor her clubmates stretch. It's remarkable at this stage if I see ANY good runner stretch.
My daughter's coach who ran in the Munich Olympic Marathon and in his time came second in the American XC championship always says..
"Did you ever see a racehorse stretch?"
ANTONISH

Post by ANTONISH »

Well if I stop stretching I know I'm back to getting cramp and to relieve a cramp one needs to stretch the muscle :?