Advice, please: Orbea Gain M20 or Cannondale Synapse Neo 2

Electrically assisted bikes, trikes, etc. that are legal in the UK
Jdsk

Advice, please: Orbea Gain M20 or Cannondale Synapse Neo 2

Post by Jdsk »

Asking for a family member.

He's looking for an eBike which will be used to commute 7 miles each way in London all year round, and for fun.

He's interested in the Orbea Gain M20 or the Cannondale Synapse Neo 2.
https://www.tredz.co.uk/.Orbea-Gain-M20-2020-Electric-Road-Bike_216269.htm
https://www.evanscycles.com/cannondale-synapse-neo-2-2020-electric-road-bike-EV360936

Any thoughts on how they compare, or what you'd recommend instead, and ease of fitting mudguards and racks.

Or anything else, please?

Thanks in advance

Jonathan
Antbrewer

Re: Advice, please: Orbea Gain M20 or Cannondale Synapse Neo 2

Post by Antbrewer »

jdsk
I recently bought the Cannondale Synapse Neo 1. Just an upgrade and £250.00 more from the Neo 2 but basically the same. Beautiful to look at. Rides like a dream with a very comfortable geometry for me. Large battery which would easily last me a number of days in hilly terrain as I tend to only engage the Bosch motor when I need to in the Eco mode at that. I just ride the bike as a tourer.
It comes in about 18.3 klg which isn't very weighty compared to my Claud Butler city bike. In fact it is considerably lighter than most ebikes. average I guess around the 23 +kilogram. Though the Orbea would be lighter as it is a carbon frame. Also another £500.00 . I wanted a battery I could remove so I could charge it away from the bike whilst touring whereas the Orbeo has an integrated battery. Different motor system which I have no experience of or real understanding so I cannot comment. However the Bosch on my Neo 1 is most impressive. Purrs along without it engaged and then when turned on eco mode just gently eases you up the inclines and on higher modes really takes the sting out of the hills. It has 22 gears which makes the whole thing a joy to ride.

I had mudguards and rear carrier fitted as I do intend to do some touring asap when we are clear to do so.
I am very happy though it is quite a large spend but well worth it.
Whatever your 'friend' decides he wont go far wrong. He'll just go far!
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Thank you.

Much appreciated.

Jonathan
philg

Post by philg »

Jdsk wrote:Or anything else, please?
Jonathan

Interesting question this.

Using an e-bike to commute is fair enough, but do they really need a 3k5+ sporty number to do a 7 mile commute in London?

London - mostly flat so weight not really an issue, the electrics negates the worry about getting up to speed after the (numerous) stops.
3k5+ bike in London? - the weight of the lock to secure it probably outweighs the weight saving, what about insurance costs :shock: ?
Reliability and robustness would be higher on my list of priorities, and mudguards, lights, luggage carrier etc.....

If it were me, and if space allows, I'd choose a cheaper bike (cycle to work ~1k?) for the all-weather commute and spend the rest on something better for the 'fun' bits. Something that won't get its expensive drivetrain ground down by winter salt or stolen, no matter how good your lock was.

Just a thought
The weekend comes, my cycle hums
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

I agree with Philg. Is he intending to get on the drops and sprint to work them? Mudguards, Rack and Lights essential for commuting. One can spend half that amount and get a decent ebike.

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
Antbrewer

Post by Antbrewer »

I agree entirely with Philg and Al that to do a 7 mile commute you do not need an expensive bike. I certainly wouldn't have bought mine at the price I paid had I just wanted to use it locally and for short rides. My Cannondale is very expensive for a bit of fun?
There is a wealth of superb bikes out there at 1k or thereabouts. My wife has a Pendleton Ebike which Halfords do for about £800 and that suits her perfectly..
The locking of the bike specially in towns etc is a major issue. The better the lock the heavier the lock is generally the rule.
Do the research first. So many to choose from and there are new Ebike shops opening all the time.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Thanks, all. It's been ordered under some cycle to work subsidy scheme.

Jonathan

PS: I'm also happy with unalloyed human power for urban journeys of that length. : - )