Fazua drive system

Electrically assisted bikes, trikes, etc. that are legal in the UK
Smiffy52

Fazua drive system

Post by Smiffy52 »

We recently purchased a Boardman HYB 8.9e for my wife and whilst initially pleased with the bike there are a couple or three niggling points which others might have encountered and maybe found answers.
The first is that periodically whilst pedalling along the bike gives a loud clonking sound like it is trying to change gear, the noise comes from the bottom bracket/gear box, not the rear cogs or derallier.
Secondly after the battery power drops below 50% there is a noticeable drop in assistance in all modes.
Thirdly the battery locking system is particularly annoying in that it is very difficult to actually get the battery out, which you have to do each time you come to use the bike, and if you fail to lock it (which I did) although it clicks into place it can drop out whilst riding. In essence the key operated lock is naff and needs redesigning.
I know there has been a software update called black pepper, which I downloaded and made no noticeable difference but understand there maybe another update in July?
Can anyone help
DAVE :cry:
Gangzoom

Re: Fazua drive system

Post by Gangzoom »

I've had my 8.9e since end of Feb, been using it 4 times a week twice a day for the commute on average (I think my road bike as a Friday treat), coming up to 600 miles now.

1) If you back pedal at all you will disengage the motor, which makes a loud catching noise. On forwards peddling there should be no noise.

2) There is an updated lock which can be fitted for £40ish I think, but Fazua have just announced a new 12V switch which will allow you to turn the battery on/off from the remote without taking the battery out. I've personally had no issues with lock, but that maybe because I use it every day about 4 times so have gotten use to it.

3) All electric motors drop power output when the charge status of the battery is low - even £150K electric cars, its the natural of things. The software update made a big difference to my bike, have you played with profile settings?

Overall I love the Fazua motor the rest bike not so much, for me it give the perfect amount of assistance to keep me going on the commute even with rain/wind.
MikeDee

Post by MikeDee »

There's a firmware update that may help things https://ebike-mtb.com/en/fazua-evation- ... te-review/
richtea99

Post by richtea99 »

> The first is that periodically whilst pedalling along the bike gives a loud clonking sound like it is trying to change gear, the noise comes from the bottom bracket/gear box, not the rear cogs or derallier.

Boardman Fazua bikes suffer from poorly tightened Torx bolts on the bottom bracket.
Get a Torx key and tighten them (be sure not to overtighten it - use a torque wrench if possible). Or get the bike shop to do it - 2 minutes work.

> Thirdly the battery locking system is particularly annoying in that it is very difficult to actually get the battery out, which you have to do each time you come to use the bike, and if you fail to lock it (which I did) although it clicks into place it can drop out whilst riding. In essence the key operated lock is naff and needs redesigning.

They have redesigned it:
https://fazua.com/en/drive-system/evation/locker-px/

If you're in warranty, I'd compain that you have trouble with the existing lock (not fit for purpose, etc), and ask for the new type to be fitted.