Dynamo to usb advice

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
TimeTraveller

Dynamo to usb advice

Post by TimeTraveller »

I'm looking for some advice regarding Dynamo to usb
I don't require it for lighting at the moment so only looking into usb output devices.
Now I've spent the last few days of free time looking at most of the current devices on sale
Just wanted to know direct from any users of 3 particular ones.

cycle2charge .
Igaro d2 standard
Velocharger..

still can decide
Running 700c (29er)with Shimano DH-UR700 3d.. when it arrives
Pete... I think
PH

Re: Dynamo to usb advice

Post by PH »

TimeTraveller wrote:I'm looking for some advice regarding Dynamo to usb
I don't require it for lighting at the moment so only looking into usb output devices.
Now I've spent the last few days of free time looking at most of the current devices on sale
Just wanted to know direct from any users of 3 particular ones.

cycle2charge .
Igaro d2 standard
Velocharger..

still can decide
Running 700c (29er)with Shimano DH-UR700 3d.. when it arrives

I have an Igaro D1 and before that a Sinewave and before that a Velocharger. There's good reason two of them are several times the price of the other, they just work better, charge from a lower speed and far more consistently. You stand a fair chance of being able to run something directly off the Sinewave or Igaro, though in all cases it's less hassle to use two powerpacks and keep one charging. My Sinewave was the top cap model and the neatest of the three, but of course it's a pain to shift between bikes. I sold it and wasn't going to bother with another but the D1 came cheap. I don't really get much use out of it, though it's reassuring to have as a backup. Your touring and usage may be different.
I haven't seen an Igaro 2, but reports are it's had some teething problems and the pins are a bit fragile.
wirral_cyclist

Post by wirral_cyclist »

Any good with a soldering iron? Go the DIY route then:- https://www.instructables.com/id/10-BIC ... B-CHARGER/

Masses of DIY options online, the one above I'm building (well I was until I realised I'd re-mirrored the PCB)...
TimeTraveller

Post by TimeTraveller »

Has anyone on here actually completed the diy version you linked to ?

Yes I think I am able to solder ;) I was mainly really wondering about the real world efficiency of the factory made versions as on paper they look a better option regarding getting the best from the current dynamos.
I had already considered the DIY option but not based on cost or production issue.. able to test a develop ideas my self, just need to know from users which seemed to be the best commercial options.
Last edited by TimeTraveller on 29 Jun 2020, 7:38pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pete... I think
wirral_cyclist

Post by wirral_cyclist »

ConRAD is the man who knows all about this stuff, lots of puff and bluster about eficiencies but ConRAD has tested most kit and shown some claims are a bit erm theoretical. Farrad something or other is a really good kit that you can buy to assemble since you appear to have some of the tools :shock:
TimeTraveller

Post by TimeTraveller »

Thanks, going to go with the D2.. seems to have good results on test and a fair amount or users.
I don't pedal that fast so would like to get the best charge into my powerbanks while away on extended trips.
I have already built one or two and the German one is the Forumslader V5 now I think which seems a great option.
Did a bit of reading on https://www.cyclingabout.com/list-of-hub-dynamo-power-supplies-for-usb-devices/
Seems to have a lot of data but would have liked to hear from real world users ...
Pete... I think
TimeTraveller

Post by TimeTraveller »

lots of puff and bluster[/b] about efficiencies

Was'nt trying to be clever just pointing out that I could solder ;)
was asking a simple question... any users on here have the ones I listed... would have helped eh
Pete... I think
wirral_cyclist

Post by wirral_cyclist »

The D2 is fragile from the accounts I've seen on one of the cycle fora, mind you according to the manufacturer it is by far the best device on the planet :wink: so that's good.
TimeTraveller

Post by TimeTraveller »

the D2 in encased in resin, my only worry would have been those pins, could get round that by installing a small extension to both parts.
.. The Usb C port seem good but the the sealing issue and mechanical wear if you just stick it in could be bad over time.
It is looking good on paper and yes he ups his product. A bit more thought into the connection would have been good but as is it seems a easy fix
And with its size I think could be enclosed in a DIY case for better protection.

I liked the cycle2charge but seemed pricey for some simple electronics and I don't think the stem cap would make it worth the cash...

I was looking for simple but reliable charge solution but its seem some of the current ideas need a little fetelling, I looked into the D1 as a lot of adventure riders seemed to favour it but the noticed on a few forums that its was offered with a bit of a discount when first issued and then following that a fair amount of users complained about the external wiring.. so waited till the D2 came around with baited breath.
And it does seem a lot of wonga... with more expensive option that I think could have been on all versions for the same cost ..
Pete... I think
yutkoxpo

Post by yutkoxpo »

I've used the Cycle2Charge for 4 years now with no issues.
As I understand it, there's a newer version than my model out.
I liked the simplicity of it it really is plug and play. I'm not technically minded and installation is easy.
Mine is attached to my handlebars and could be mistaken for a bell.
I contacted the owner for a spare cable, paid with PayPal and had it in 2 days.
It generates power once I'm above 13kph (26 inch wheels).
Is it the most efficient? I've no idea. On a typical day I can generate enough power to keep me going.

If you search around these parts you'll find discussions on different options and best practice - for example I never charge any sensitive electronics directly - only a powerbank.

From long term use, a couple of thoughts;
The weak points on the charger and your devices are the ports. Be careful with those.
Not all cables are equal!
Have a think about using it in wet weather. I've an outsize bag cover that covers my handlebar bag, C2C unit and any cabling.
Mine has worked from a Shimano hub and a Son 28.
When I bought mine it was one of the cheapest units that didn't look like a mess.
Good Luck!
Vitara

Post by Vitara »

Although you don't currently require lighting it might be worth considering the B&M Lumotech IQ2 Luxos U

That way you'll have a decent light and the benefit of a USB take off point. The early models suffered problems with water ingress, but that seems to have been resolved. I've been using mine for some time without problems, and have found USB facility useful for charging my phone on several occasions.

https://www.spacycles.co.uk/m2b0s197p30 ... Q2-Luxos-U
igauk

Post by igauk »

I used to run an Luxos U and found the USB useful, although it died after about 3 years. I just run my lights off the dynamo now as I recon with a 20000 mAh powerbank I could charge all my devices for at least three days. Of course you might well be off grid for longer than that, but don't discount a good powerbank.
Moulton TSR 30
SA_SA_SA

Post by SA_SA_SA »

The Axa lux 70 plus also has a usb output (and is cheaper I think):

https://swhs.home.xs4all.nl/fiets/tests/verlichting/koplampen/Axa_luxx_70_plus/index_en.html
------------You may not use this post in Cycle or other magazine ------ 8)
TimeTraveller

Post by TimeTraveller »

Hi thanks for the post showing the light version, I think for now I'd rather just run with boosting my cache battery.
., I have also decided after even more thought that I will be going with the Forumslader V5 and have contacted Jans regarding a kit so will update here once its up and running.

Also as suggested earlier I should look up Conrad... I have and his blogs are very enlightening, His diy work on the dynamo is great to read up on.
His posts on a german forum rad forum.de are great to read ! very informative ..

Thanks all those that have given constructive help .. here's to being almost less dependent on wall warts when out on travels...
And all those about to get out and tour hopefully on the 4th july (uk) good luck and stay safe
Pete... I think
freiston

Post by freiston »

I'm a bit late to the thread but I also use a Cycle2Charge (I believe that mine is V.2) and am happy with it. I have tried charging a phone directly and it did work (kicking in at about 6mph) but in practice, I charge a powerbank and use that for the phone, a little music player and a USB AA/AAA charger.
Disclaimer: Treat what I say with caution and if possible, wait for someone with more knowledge and experience to contribute. ;)