Cycling to lose weight

mjr

Re: Cycling to lose weight

Post by mjr »

Freddie wrote:
whoof wrote:For me a five a day day would be pretty low normally twice and sometimes three times that.
What do you when you're not going to the loo?

That's far more likely to happen from too much cheese on your pizzas...

Freddie wrote:You can probably cut 200 calories a day by not eating anything after dinner, providing you are only hungry and not starving when you go to bed (unless you want poor sleep or potential for binge eating).

I don't think that will work for people who move much while they sleep. They'll wake up hungry in the depths of night.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Gearoidmuar

Post by Gearoidmuar »

foxyrider wrote: no one comes from a fat family, they may be part of a family that is fat, the ones in the cafe downing a days calorific need in one meal - and then order dessert!

Really?
1. I'd a friend whose mother was really fat and whose father was skinny. There were 8 children in the family. 4 of them were fat and four were skinny. They all ate the same food.
Explain that.
2. Identical orphan twins adopted by separate families finish up almost the same weight and their weight doesn't follow that of the families that adopt them.
3. Insulin resistance has a huge genetic component and it is a major driver of obesity. That's why groups like South Sea Islanders get so fat on "modern diets."
jetpilot

Post by jetpilot »

I have been cycling for many years now and I think its not great to reduce weight, not sure what it is really. It does keep me healthy and sane, most importantly. But for some reason it does not help me loose weight like say running or hiking.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Lose weight, or avoid gaining weight?
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
bigjim

Post by bigjim »

I run and cycle. Running is much harder on the body. You can never rest. I think you must burn many more calories running. I'm dripping with sweat after my pathetically slow run. Returning from even a hard bike ride I'm in much better shape.
arnsider

Post by arnsider »

I've always been overweight. The simple fact is I enjoy my food and eat more than my body needs.
That, in a nutshell explains virtually all incidences of obesity.
I do cycle quite a bit and over hilly terrain, often exceeding 35 miles on a run.
Cycling won't help much in weight loss if you maintain too high a calorie intake, but it will help to strengthen the stomach muscles and to trim down the fat on your buttocks.
By overweight, most people actually mean a fat gut and the stomach is the hardest part of the body to keep in tone.
Another penalty with a fat gut is the strain the blubber puts on the back and spine muscles. This can be helped with gym workouts, especially back extension machines that work on the lower back muscles.
Running is a complete no no for bigger people and I don't know why it gets any support from us at all.
It is awful on your knees and can cause no end of hairline fractures, hernias and prolapses.
It really is only for racing whippets!
Hill Walking is very good indeed, so too is swimming.
Swap your Cookbooks for body building! LOL.
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

...trouble with using cycles as a gym is the simple fact that they are very efficient.
I recall an anaesthetist colleague, when I worked at a north-west London hosptial, who travelled the 3 miles to work on a heavy shopper, pointing out that had he used a "racer", he wouldn't get any exercise.
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
bigjim

Post by bigjim »

I'm 15 stone and run regularly. I've been running regularly since my 20s. I suffer no injuries, knee or hip problems. At 71 my mileage and speed are well down but i find it an effective way to keep my weight in check and my spirits up. Always been a plodder though. Never a racing snake.
gbnz

Post by gbnz »

arnsider wrote: mean a fat gut and the stomach is the hardest part of the body to keep in tone..

Nonsense! I decided five years ago to do 500 sit up's on every visit to the gym. As a break from a quick sixty in the pool or on the x-trainer it's great and within months, 2000-2500 sit up's a week had given me a six pack Like any other part of the body, exercise builds muscle.

That said, my knees are now suffering from the lockdown (4-5 runs a week, much more damaging than the gym)
bazzo

Re: Cycling to loose weight

Post by bazzo »

mjr wrote:
bazzo wrote:If you want to shed it faster than that up the mileage and reduce sugar. What ever anyone tells you weight loss and gain is calories consumed v calories burned. Incidentally Strava tells you calories used. My wife looks at my Strava account then tries to force feed me the calories I've used.

There are many sources of calories, of course, and currently some controversy about what the balance of the different categories of sources should be, with sugar now inhabiting the role of pantomime villain previously played by carbs and before that saturated fat. I doubt any are quite as evil as their critics insist, but no-one much seems to be putting protein (4 calories per gram, same as carbs) in the devil horns, do they?

Suggest you read this, calories in calories out, I was correct.
https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/losi ... -flk7t8jpn
bazzo

Post by bazzo »

ianrobo wrote:
mjr wrote:with sugar now inhabiting the role of pantomime villain previously played by carbs and before that saturated fat. I doubt any are quite as evil as their critics insist, but no-one much seems to be putting protein (4 calories per gram, same as carbs) in the devil horns, do they?

that is you believe a calorie of fat, protein and carbs is processed in the body in exactly the same way ?

Clue - they are not

Oh sugar is carbs and I argue vice versa, the mistake everyone has made the past 3 decades is to believe calories in < calories out will mean less weight. There are so many other factors at play this is simply not true.

In my example. changed my diet a year ago, basically calories in and out the same and lost 12kgs, how does that work ?

Suggested reading https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/losi ... -flk7t8jpn
bazzo

Post by bazzo »

ianrobo wrote:
mjr wrote:with sugar now inhabiting the role of pantomime villain previously played by carbs and before that saturated fat. I doubt any are quite as evil as their critics insist, but no-one much seems to be putting protein (4 calories per gram, same as carbs) in the devil horns, do they?

that is you believe a calorie of fat, protein and carbs is processed in the body in exactly the same way ?

Clue - they are not

Oh sugar is carbs and I argue vice versa, the mistake everyone has made the past 3 decades is to believe calories in < calories out will mean less weight. There are so many other factors at play this is simply not true.

In my example. changed my diet a year ago, basically calories in and out the same and lost
12kgs, how does that work ?

mjr

Post by mjr »

bazzo wrote:Suggest you read this, calories in calories out, I was correct.

It looks like most of the article has been deleted, ending after a paragraph and a half with the words "...Ruani says. “And all of it has the potential to"
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
ANTONISH

Post by ANTONISH »

I think you need to reduce calorie intake.
A few years back I wanted to lose a few pounds.
I used the 5:2 diet - 600 cals for two days a week and I didn't ride on those days.
I was a bit empty riding the next day after one of those
Lost 7 pounds which was what I wanted.
Even a small amount like that takes discipline - losing more is difficult.
When I was in my twenties and stopped racing I put on two stones in a year - that hung around for a couple of years until I decided to try to get rid of it.
I did a 24hrs fast once a week until I was back to normal. I find I can't do that anymore it makes me feel nauseous.
I maintain my weight by avoiding cake, biscuits and adding sugar to anything.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

An expert explained that in middle age many people gain 300 - 500 grams a year
Could be 365 grams, one gram a day, or 10 kg in 30 years
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies