campag shifters shimano gears

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
col2019

campag shifters shimano gears

Post by col2019 »

ive a bike with shimano groupset 9 speed but prefare campag ergos as any one got this on there bike
simonineaston

Re: campag shifters shimano gears

Post by simonineaston »

can be done did it and then went full campag see widgets here not cheap mind ps who needs caps or punc waste of time
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
hamster

Post by hamster »

Google Shimergo.

Plenty of solutions, will depend on whether you have pre- or post-2001 shifters for the details.
cycleruk

Post by cycleruk »

"Shimergo" (Campag' Ergo's with Shimano RD's) has been used for years. The trick is to match up the "cable pull" with the appropriate cassette number and rear derailleur. I did have a Shimergo setup with 10 speed Ergos and 8 speed rear mech'. Matched perfectly and obviously there are 2 clicks on the Ergo's that aren't used. (really did like that setup.)
The closest, according to the paperwork, is that 11 speed Campag' will match with Shimano 9 speed but I have not come across anyone who has actually used this.

Have a look at the Wiki pages that talks about this.
Originally done by Chris Judan of the CTC but expanded on the Wiki site.
https://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Bicycles/ ... Dimensions

According to the above :-
Shimano 9 speed = 2.5 mm cable pull per click.
Campag' 11 speed = 2.6 mm cable pull per click. Obviously this is 0.1 mm per click extra but overall 8 clicks (9 speed) is less than 1 mm error across the cassette.
The only concern is if the cable pull isn't equal across the individual cassette sprockets. ??
You'll never know if you don't try it.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

My rear hub will take a Campag body or a Shimano body. I have both, but am on Campag.

When my present Campag cassette wears out, I'm going to fit the Shimano body and a new (much cheaper) Shimano cassette and fit a Jtek unit.

By using Jtek for subsequent Shimano cassettes vs Campagnolo cassettes, I'll be quids in. :D

https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/cables/jtek-shiftmate-3/
Costs £30.00

https://www.wiggle.co.uk/campagnolo-cen ... 0-cassette
My present cassette £76.00

https://www.wiggle.co.uk/shimano-tiagra ... cassette-1
This one will do at £25.00

This means that a Jtek and a Shimano cassette comes to less than a Campag cassette.
£55.00 vs £76.00

No contest. :D
Mick F. Cornwall
drossall

Post by drossall »

Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

drossall wrote:Original Shimergo page here.
CJ never mentioned costs.

My post above has used costs as an illustration in using Ergo and Campag stuff with a Shimano cassette and with a Jtek shift mate.
Mick F. Cornwall
fatboy

Post by fatboy »

Mick F wrote:
drossall wrote:Original Shimergo page here.
CJ never mentioned costs.

My post above has used costs as an illustration in using Ergo and Campag stuff with a Shimano cassette and with a Jtek shift mate.

Do you not also need a Shimano derailleur too?
"Marriage is a wonderful invention; but then again so is the bicycle puncture repair kit." - Billy Connolly
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

No.

Everything can be Campag, and the Shiftmate will cope with the Shimano hub and cassette whilst everything else is Campagnolo including the Ergos.
Mick F. Cornwall
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

if you use 10s campag shifters, campag RD but want to use shimano hubs and 10s cassette you can do this without a shift mate.

If you use a CS-HG500-10 cassette (or similar) https://si.shimano.com/pdfs/ev/EV-CS-HG500-10-3861A.pdf this has all separate sprockets (once the rivets are out) so can be respaced to match campag 10s spacing. In the simplest form this requires ~+0.2mm spacing between most of the sprockets 2-9. In other words you need thicker spacers in seven of the nine gaps. You can cut these +0.2mm shims out of a beer can (or two) using scissors. Cost = nothing. You can of course re-use the same shims with later cassettes on the same bike, so it is a one-off to make the shims.

The resultant (slightly wider) cassette will usually fit onto a shimano 10s freehub body but you might need a lockring with slightly longer threads than normal. The modified cassette will also fit onto a shimano 11s freehub body without problems.

If you just use a shimano 10s cassette 'as is' it will probably work but not perfectly. Some folk run this setup and are happy with it; most think it isn't quite right. Adding the shims in the as suggested (fine tuning where necessary) will make the shifting 'perfect' if you go about it in the right way; this is potentially better than using a shiftmate since you can fine-tune the sprocket spacings to match the (uneven) campag mech movement using shims, and you cannot do this using the shiftmate; in this case a shiftmate is more of a blunt instrument than using shims.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
drossall

Post by drossall »

fatboy wrote:Do you not also need a Shimano derailleur too?

You use different Shiftmates for different combinations. My tourer has 10-speed Ergos with 9-speed Shimano derailleurs and cassette, and a Shiftmate 2. My trike has (newer) 9-speed Ergos and derailleurs with a Shimano cassette and a Shiftmate 1.

My Audax bike is likely to end up with all Campag, but older-9 Ergos and newer-9 derailleurs (which have a different pull), and a Shiftmate 1, but that's not strictly Shimergo.
gregoryoftours

Post by gregoryoftours »

Not exactly but I am running old 9sp ergo shifters and Campag 'racing triple' long cage rear mech with a Shimano 9 speed cassette and freehub. As far as possible the cassette is spaced with spacers from an old Campag 9sp cassette, only the top 2 I think are Shimano spacing, but it still shifts really well across the whole range. The rear mech is running I think a 30 or 32 big sprocket which is a bit more than it's designed for; it does rumble a little on the biggest sprocket and is probably not great for the b-tension assembly spring but shifts in and out of that gear fine too.
drossall

Post by drossall »

The Racing Triple is also old-9 isn't it? Does sound like it should work then. Respacing the cassette is a good idea, could probably have saved myself that Shiftmate :D
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Brucey wrote: ............... better than using a shiftmate since you can fine-tune the sprocket spacings to match the (uneven) campag mech movement using shims ..........
I still haven't seen any evidence that my Campag cassette has uneven spacing.

My 12-30 is the same spacing throughout, and when I've raised this point before, you said that one or two sprockets were differently profiled.

I still haven't seen any evidence of this.
Mick F. Cornwall
francovendee

Post by francovendee »

simonineaston wrote:can be done did it and then went full campag see widgets here not cheap mind ps who needs caps or punc waste of time

Take care! The punctuation Gestapo are everywhere. :roll: