Strawberry Line closed 29/30 June.

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
arnsider

Re: Strawberry Line closed 29/30 June.

Post by arnsider »

Foregive me, but I think your northings might be wrong and you mean 566. That would be Long Bottom and would take you up a relatively easy grade past longbottom farm to a corner where you can camp. From this corner, the gradient steepens considerably and there are concrete snots on the tarmac where mixer wagons have spilt their load.The last few yards are granny gear steep. I agree, it's probably the easiest ascent and on my round, I used it on the outgoing anti clockwise route off the hill. At the top, looking west you get a magnificient view across the Bristol channel.
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

You are correct, I'd misread the northings. Sorry about that, and thank you for pointing it out.
rjb

Post by rjb »

Can anyone report back on the improvements. Where's Fred the flour man. :lol:
Fred-the-flour.jpg
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway X2, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

Bmblbzzz wrote:From the west through Star and Shipham then left up the minor road at ~ST445576 is easier than from either north or, especially, south.

I did that on Sunday, the 17% bit is still a bgr! :lol:
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
arnsider

Post by arnsider »

I don't mind the climb from the Strawberry line to the A38. You have to be careful crossing, then the road widens a bit and the grade eases to Shipham Village. It's the climb out of Shipham that is a slog. Then after flattening off, the drop to the Long Bottom turn.
There is a cafe just past the turn that used to be a cider press. You can camp in the narrow field on the cheddar side.
Redvee

Post by Redvee »

Email today saying the work has been completed.

Resurfacing work on parts of the Strawberry Line has been completed.
This is a very popular trail for cyclists and the section resurfaced was between the A370 at Station Road Congresbury and Nye Road in Sandford.

The section between Honey Hall Lane and Nye Road was closed for two days at the end of last month for path improvements with some careful works to protect a population of badgers in the area, and potholes were also repaired from Honey Hall Lane north to the A370.

The work was carried out by MP & KM Golding Road Reclamation as part of an ongoing maintenance arrangement with no cost to the council. The council was able to extend the works following the assistance and co-operation of Thatcher’s Cider which owns part of the section that was widened and improved during the closure. A diversion was signposted by the Sustrans Strawberry Line Volunteer Rangers.

Cllr James Tonkin, North Somerset Council’s executive member whose portfolio includes travel and transport, said: “I would like to thank Thatcher’s for allowing us to carry out the improvements at Nye Road through their orchard and on to Carditch Drove. Thanks also to Goldings who carried out this high-quality work as their contribution to improvements to the Strawberry Line.”

The surface is compacted limestone dust which is very durable and these improvements will be welcomed by hundreds of the enthusiastic Strawberry Line users each week, and will also help to facilitate social distancing on the trail. Signs have gone up recently asking cyclists to respect other users particularly during the coronavirus epidemic. Cllr Tonkin added: “These new signs ask cyclists to pass pedestrians ‘wide and slow’ – it is important that we that we respect other users particularly the more vulnerable users.

“I’m looking forward to getting out on the trail later this week.”
Jon Lucas

Post by Jon Lucas »

That is good news.

Does anyone know if the cafe on Yatton station, at the start of the line, has reopened yet? If so, I might well be tempted to take a ride out that way soon.
Redvee

Post by Redvee »

Jon Lucas wrote:That is good news.

Does anyone know if the cafe on Yatton station, at the start of the line, has reopened yet? If so, I might well be tempted to take a ride out that way soon.

Website say 07/07, Twitter feed says they are too

https://twitter.com/strawblinecafe