Route for LEJOG

Specific board for this popular undertaking.
MBaya

Re: Route for LEJOG

Post by MBaya »

Hello, I have been reading this thread for quite a while and finally decided to make an account and get involved. I am currently planning a Lejog route using mainly the bikemap app so far. It has been great on my rides, gives me very quiet roads etc...
But I am not sure that the way I planned my route is the most efficient, as I am planning to camp along the way. I first made the route simply using the start and finish point, I then looked for campsites that are rather close to this "line", this is where I then linked my route campsite to campsite along the way. Haven't finished doing this yet, stopped at the scottish border.
I feel like there has to be a more efficient way of making a route along the way, and staying in campsites overnight. I am planning to ride between 80kms to 130kms a day. My question now is does anyone know of or has a route that will suit me? So basically a route going from LE to JOG using campsites. Also am a beginner so something less busy and more scenic is preferable. Thank you all!! I have learned sooo much from simply reading everyone's comments on here.
Moustapha.
Last edited by MBaya on 5 Jul 2020, 4:18pm, edited 1 time in total.
puffin

Post by puffin »

Hi Mbayer Good luck, it sounds a great way of doing it. I don't anything about campsites, sorry. If its any help here is (I think) my route (the software sometimes auto re-calculates it) if that's anyhelp.
Best wishes and Enjoy
Puffin

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/31517493
Last edited by puffin on 4 Jul 2020, 10:37am, edited 2 times in total.
puffin

Post by puffin »

Yea!!! Just managed to book the final ticket with bike reservation, Wick to Inverness!!!! That's it, all done, just gotta count down the last 9 days, hope for no more spikes, and off I go.
whoof

Post by whoof »

MBaya wrote:Hello, I have been reading this thread for quite a while and finally decided to make an account and get involved. I am currently planning a Lejog route using mainly the bikemap app so far. It has been great on my rides, gives me very quiet roads etc...
But I am not sure that the way I planned my route is the most efficient, as I am planning to camp along the way. I first made the route simply using the start and finish point, I then looked for campsites that are rather close to this "line", this is where I then linked my route campsite to campsite along the way. Haven't finished doing this yet, stopped at the scottish border.
I feel like there has to be a more efficient way of making a route along the way, and staying in campsites overnight. I am planning to ride between 80kms to 130kms a day. My question now is does anyone know of or has a route that will suit me? So basically a route going from LE to JOG using campsites. Also am a beginner so something less busy and more scenic is preferable. Thank you all!! What I have learned sooo much from simply reading everyone's comments on here.
Moustapha.

Have you seen Cycletravel?

https://cycle.travel/map

You can create routes from start and finish points and then create waypoints inbetween to move the route. It will automatically select quiet roads. It includes an option to show accommodation on route with one of the options being campsites.
As it selects quiet routes it does sometimes choose non-tarmaced trails such as canal tow paths. There's a function to turn this off and only choose sealed surfaces.
Routes can be saved (if you register for free) as GPX routes and downloaded for devices such as Garmin or sent the smart phones. You can also print PDFs of the route with turn by turn instructions.
Enigmadick

Post by Enigmadick »

whoof wrote:
MBaya wrote:Hello, I have been reading this thread for quite a while and finally decided to make an account and get involved. I am currently planning a Lejog route using mainly the bikemap app so far. It has been great on my rides, gives me very quiet roads etc...
I feel like there has to be a more efficient way of making a route along the way, and staying in campsites overnight. I am planning to ride between 80kms to 130kms a day. My question now is does anyone know of or has a route that will suit me? So basically a route going from LE to JOG using campsites. Also am a beginner so something less busy and more scenic is preferable. Thank you all!! What I have learned sooo much from simply reading everyone's comments on here.
Moustapha.

Have you seen Cycletravel?

https://cycle.travel/map

You can create routes from start and finish points and then create waypoints inbetween to move the route. It will automatically select quiet roads. It includes an option to show accommodation on route with one of the options being campsites.
As it selects quiet routes it does sometimes choose non-tarmaced trails such as canal tow paths. There's a function to turn this off and only choose sealed surfaces.
Routes can be saved (if you register for free) as GPX routes and downloaded for devices such as Garmin or sent the smart phones. You can also print PDFs of the route with turn by turn instructions.

Agree with whoof - Cycle Travel is amazingly good for planning touring routes. My only gripe is it could do with better integration with Garmin and Wahoo so downloads could be automated like on Ridewithgps.com.
ENIGMA DICK aka Richard Barrett
Jamesh

Post by Jamesh »

puffin wrote:Yea!!! Just managed to book the final ticket with bike reservation, Wick to Inverness!!!! That's it, all done, just gotta count down the last 9 days, hope for no more spikes, and off I go.

Good luck why not update us to your progress? We like pictures!

Cheers James
puffin

Post by puffin »

Jamesh wrote:
puffin wrote:Yea!!! Just managed to book the final ticket with bike reservation, Wick to Inverness!!!! That's it, all done, just gotta count down the last 9 days, hope for no more spikes, and off I go.

Cheers James

Will do! I can do the updates now. Day 1, knackered Day 2, Knackered, Day 3, Knackered, Day 4 actually you can probably see a trend here. Just spent the morning helping my wife make me energy balls (don't say it, don't say it)

And...just heard that the travel restrictions in Dumfries and Galloway have been lifted. Yea!!

I've had to alter the course to take account of closed accommodation, for example I go up to Tain as Bonar Bridge had no spaces.

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/31517493
puffin

Post by puffin »

Jamesh wrote:

Cheers James

Will do. Here are the finishing photos so far (2014 I settled for a botle of champagne, no idea where the main photo is). They are a bit out of order, work it out from the hairline.
Attachments
20180614_130933 red.jpg
20170806_145505 red.jpg
20160813_151003 red.jpg
20150807_141938 red.jpg
20140802_160921 red.jpg
Last edited by puffin on 10 Jul 2020, 2:07pm, edited 1 time in total.
puffin

Post by puffin »

puffin wrote:
Jamesh wrote:

Cheers James

Will do. Here are the finishing photos so far (2014 I settled for a botle of champagne, no idea where the main photo is)
Attachments
IMG_0151 red.JPG
DSC00738 -red.JPG
20190530_101908 red.jpg
puffin

Post by puffin »

First day finished, got to Camelford, about 75 miles. Off to Tiverton tomorrow.
puffin

Post by puffin »

Got to Tiverton! Bike back wheel making a funny whining sound for part of each rotation.
Attachments
A typical Decon view
A typical Decon view
The brilliant Geanite Qay, huge thanks for this route advice.
The brilliant Geanite Qay, huge thanks for this route advice.
Rob's Passage.
Rob's Passage.
puffin

Post by puffin »

Lucky or unlucky??? My bike kinda gave up the ghost this morning :( but half a mile from Tiverton 's only open bike repair shop :). Huge shout out to Ray for fitting me in....im sitting in a cafe waiting to see if its fixable.
Attachments
20200716_100140.jpg
puffin

Post by puffin »

Aggghhh! It wasn't the spokes, it was the hub which had broken, and there's no replacements anywhere near. So it looks like the ninth LEJOG is frustrated again :(
cycleruk

Post by cycleruk »

puffin wrote:Aggghhh! It wasn't the spokes, it was the hub which had broken, and there's no replacements anywhere near. So it looks like the ninth LEJOG is frustrated again :(

No chance of a new wheel ? That's tough luck after all the preparation.
You'll never know if you don't try it.
puffin

Post by puffin »

cycleruk wrote:
puffin wrote:Aggghhh! It wasn't the spokes, it was the hub which had broken, and there's no replacements anywhere near. So it looks like the ninth LEJOG is frustrated again :(

No chance of a new wheel ? That's tough luck after all the preparation.

Nope,nobody round here has anything, the bike shops all look like they are closing down,!! Its not the end of the world though, I'm already on the train home. I'll pick up my old bike rebook accommodation and pick it up again on Sunday or as soon after as possible.
Here's a picture of the broken hub, not sure if its clear enough but the holes for two spokes have broken off.
Attachments
20200716_110439.jpg