Antisocial cyclists

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
tatanab

Re: Antisocial cyclists

Post by tatanab »

Oldjohnw wrote:But cyclists describes well and accurately.
Which is why when asked what I like doing in a social circle or similar, I find myself struggling to find words to describe myself since cyclist also means the chap on his clapped out supermarket MTB with disconnected brakes. Earlier, when I wrote "we are all cyclist" I was being satirical. And yes, I have stopped to help people like that when need be.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

tatanab wrote:If PoB (Person on a Bike) offends some here, what term can we use to identify non enthusiast riders? Walkers/hikers are differentiated from pedestrians and motorcyclists and car drivers also have terms to differentiate the enthusiast. What can we use?

It's been used on this forum for as long as I can remember as a derisory and prejudiced term for someone seen by some as not a 'proper' cyclist,and has been recently persisted by one poster in particular.
A person riding a bicycle,recumbent or e-bike is as far as I'm concerned is a cyclist and should termed as such whether they ride a £99 supermarket special or a £15,000 all singing all dancing bicycle.
I'll agree willingly to there being different facets of cycling,that goes without saying,but all facets are nevertheless cyclingamd are of one catagory 'cyclist' as it follows those people practicing cycling are cyclists.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

tatanab wrote:
Which is why when asked what I like doing in a social circle or similar, I find myself struggling to find words to describe myself since cyclist also means the chap on his clapped out supermarket MTB with disconnected brakes. Earlier, when I wrote "we are all cyclist" I was being satirical. And yes, I have stopped to help people like that when need be.

I agree with you when you were being sarcastic :D

Personally I'm not bothered what people think. I ride for my enjoyment, not theirs. Given I have a 20 year old Raleigh hybrid I suspect you might dismiss me, although my brakes are connected, despite going to the supermarket :)
John
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

I shall continue using 'PoB', for I am a PoB myself and I do not feel insulted to be described so

I must find my copy of 'So you think you' re a cyclist?' by Pete Jorgensen, he describes dozens of different cyclists, 'I am, or have been, several of these', he explains

PoB is not an insult!
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

tatanab wrote:

If I read that right you're afraid of being lumped in with the "supermarket MTB with disconnected brakes" cyclist?

For my part I couldn't care less what people think of me,that's upto them and I can't do much about it,that's their unfounded prejudice
I drive a car which if I were to use the same logic I'd be afraid of being considered as a tearaway with no insurance MOT or licence,willing to do a runner if I were involved in an RTI,and accordingly be termed as a 'motron' or similar,whereas nothing could be further from the truth.When I drive my car I'm a motorist.
Last edited by reohn2 on 4 Jul 2020, 8:15pm, edited 1 time in total.
W H Auden
Syd

Antisocial cyclists

Post by Syd »

Cyril Haearn wrote:I shall continue using 'PoB', for I am a PoB myself and I do not feel insulted to be described so

I must find my copy of 'So you think you' re a cyclist?' by Pete Jorgensen, he describes dozens of different cyclists, 'I am, or have been, several of these', he explains

PoB is not an insult!

Then you are in the minority that think so and are wrong to continue to do so in that is causes offence to others. Unless of course you are intend on offending people.

The majority of people find PoB offensive end of story.

Meanings of words change over the years and things that were once ok no longer are.

One well known example is the Spastics Society which changed it’s name to Capability as the use of the word Spastic changed.
Last edited by Syd on 4 Jul 2020, 5:45pm, edited 1 time in total.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Tangled Metal wrote:
Cyril Haearn wrote:TM, are you from the Language Police? :wink: Which single word do you suggest?
Maybe we could say all we want to with a couple of hundred words, dumming down is the word for that :?

Just remembered another word I used, 'whiner' for ebike (makes a whining noise)

If you use emoticons it might help people know whether you mean to insult or it is just your humour.

I am no more the language police than anyone else on here who expressed the opinion that PoB is widely accepted as a term used for abuse. It seems you don't use it for that purpose but on forums that's how it is likely to be understood.

Perhaps I should do a summary for those with short attention spans! :lol:

Or perhaps stop using it because it offends,the first line of Cyril's sig seems to say a lot about his attitude to others :?
A deliberate wind up merchant IMHO.
W H Auden
DaveBeck

Post by DaveBeck »

Cyril Haearn wrote:Cyclist is a subset of PoB, I suggest
I am a cyclist, I knew how to put the chains back on, ok?
Analogy: when driving I am not a motorist, rather a PiC

Using 'PoB' is not an insult, just reflects richness of language. Many would think I was a PoB, not a cyclist, because I have a simple heavy machine and do not wear 'uniform' (what anyone else thinks of me is none of my business)

Using the m word has another background that is ample discussed elsewhere on these fora

PiC stands for Pilot in Command, so you wouldn't be that. I could suggest that you are indeed a m+#ton, but I wouldn't because that would be insulting! ;)

Personally, I think someone on a bike; electric or manual, is a cyclist, in a car they are a driver or motorist, on foot, a walker. I have no idea whether they can put the chain back on a bike, fix the car or repair their walking shoes. They are what they are.

Dave B
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Syd wrote:..

Evidence please
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Syd

Antisocial cyclists

Post by Syd »

Cyril Haearn wrote:
Syd wrote:..

Evidence please

Have you been reading this thread? Ok its a small sample but fairly typical.

If you want a bigger one post a poll.
mattsccm

Post by mattsccm »

I have had a look at this thread several times and my current thoughts are as follows. I don't say hello to everyone I pass in the street. I slightly cringe when a fellow camper van waves as I do with the Land Rover. They are cars not symbols of a cult. In the last century when cyclists were some what rarer so see one or two on a Sunday ride was rare and maybe worthy of comment. "wow, someone as daft as me" sort of thing.
Nowadays, I wonder why. Consider my second sentence above. Why is life different on a bike?
Should I wave, I am unsure of why people think it should be to everyone. As far as I know I have little or nothing in common with most of them and have no desire, for umpteen reasons, to find out much about them. Maybe I speak to another rider on his TT bike if I am similarly mounted for example but otherwise why? As so many here seem to feel that a bike is a fundamental part of life, surely they take it for granted and part for the furniture. It's a lump of metal, not a masonic ring. Why is riding a bike different from driving a car?
Having said that in the 100 odd miles I'll do tomorrow I will probably speak to many fellow cyclists. :roll:
mattsccm

Post by mattsccm »

Find POB offensive is as silly as calling a male a man. It's a unarguable observation.
Syd

Antisocial cyclists

Post by Syd »

mattsccm wrote:Find POB offensive is as silly as calling a male a man. It's a unarguable observation.

The use of PoB n forums is used, more often than not, in a derogatory manner, much in the same way as roadie is.

If the derogatory sense can get dropped then in does humanise a person riding a bike more that cyclist does but the derogatory sense prevails.

I’m a cyclist whether that be on my commute, off the beaten track on my mountain bike or out with my cycling club.
DaveReading

Post by DaveReading »

When I go out for 20-30 miles in cycling shorts/jersey/helmet/gloves/cycle shoes, then I'm doing what cyclists do, so I gues that makes me one.

When I jump on the bike for to ride to the shops, pub or my volunteer job in jeans/t-shirt/windcheater/whatever, then I'm a person on a bike, and perfectly happy to be described as such.

YMMV
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

I don't find PoB offensive but divisive. It makes classes of cyclists. I do not understand why the term needs to be used. it was used in this particular time as making a value judgement: cyclists can fix chains whilst PoBs can't.
John