Is doing JOGLE solo lonely?

Specific board for this popular undertaking.
thirdcrank

Re: Is doing JOGLE solo lonely?

Post by thirdcrank »

This applies to any distance riding and even more so to touring.

You need to find out for yourself if you are happy in your own company. It sounds as though you intend to build up to this gradually, so reflect on how you feel while doing so. Some forum members recommend including in the preparation back-to-back all-day rides; see if you can arrange that and staying away from home in between ie a two day tour. It will give you at least an idea about whether loneliness will be a problem for you.
PH

Post by PH »

LittleGreyCat wrote:Dedicated forum just over there ->
https://forum.cyclinguk.org/viewforum.php?f=22

I hope the mods don't move it.
Although the question is posed in relation to an E2E, as thirdcrank points out it applies to all tours.
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

Given how many people do the LeJoG, as long as you are on a standard route you should be able to join up and leave groups or individuals along the way.
Syd

Post by Syd »

simonhill wrote:Given how many people do the LeJoG, as long as you are on a standard route you should be able to join up and leave groups or individuals along the way.

Might see them on the opposite side of the road though if the OP is doing JOGLE. [emoji23]
Campag

Post by Campag »

Of course it also depends on your accommodation. Some Youth Hostels aren't as sociable as they used to be, because of group bookings and car travel. B n B's would depend on who else happens to be staying. Same with Hotels / Motels. If you're camping you may be the only person who has carried your own gear and is using a small tent, unless it is a small isolated site.

I did Lejog several years ago to celebrate my 40th year, cycle camping as far as possible with a couple of nights in b n b or hostel because of the weather. I was quite lonely and missing the family by the time I got to the end, but no regrets about doing the trip. It is a fantastic experience.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

simonineaston wrote:
Try it with a Raleigh Chopper! :D
People would stop me and want to talk about their Chopper days!
While not wishing to open a floodgate, :wink: I'd love to see some photos - or video clips?? of that epic journey...
Your wish is my command.

Blogs read backwards of course.
Start at the very beginning, it's a very good place to start.
http://jogleonachopper.blogspot.com
Mick F. Cornwall
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

So cool! I'll save that url in my favourites... ;-)
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
LittleGreyCat

Post by LittleGreyCat »

PH wrote:
LittleGreyCat wrote:Dedicated forum just over there ->
https://forum.cyclinguk.org/viewforum.php?f=22

I hope the mods don't move it.
Although the question is posed in relation to an E2E, as thirdcrank points out it applies to all tours.

Not my intention.
I thought the OP may have missed the specific forum and would benefit from knowing that there was one.
ossie

Post by ossie »

I guess it would depend on the Individual. I can go a couple of weeks without any meaningful discussion with anyone.
gregoryoftours

Post by gregoryoftours »

If you're doing it on your own I'd definitely choose quieter (and therefore almost inevitably slower) roads. Maybe the odd big road when you feel impatient and want to blast some miles out. There will be loads of interesting people along the way, I'm sure. I love touring on my own and am usually loads more sociable than in 'real' life. Also on your own you're probably more likely to strike up conversations with strangers because you're not part of a group. It will be amazing!
AMMoffat

Post by AMMoffat »

It really depends on how much you enjoy your own company. A couple of years ago I cycled solo offroad across Scotland. The advantages of being alone were that I was under no pressure to keep up with anyone and could stop, linger or not, as I pleased. I did have to be equipped to deal with any mechanicals, though that should be less of a problem on a JOGLE as you will never be very remote. I used hostels for all but 1 night which gave the option to be sociable if I wanted or keep to myself if not. I happen to enjoy my own company so did not have any issue with meeting nobody most days, but that would not suit everyone. Enjoy your ride however you end up doing it.
ANTONISH

Post by ANTONISH »

I did JOGLE in 1993.
Up to then I'd had several years when there just wasn't time for regular cycling.
However if you've been an experienced cyclist you know how to pace yourself. I didn't do any real preparation for the two weeks beforehand.
Spent the last week at the fish quay in North Shields :( .
You meet people on the road, perhaps people you wouldn't meet normally - I've done a fair bit of solo touring and IMO you would have to be antisocial not to have interactions with someone.
I chose to do JOGLE so that I could get the midges and the rain out of the way first - which worked out fine.
I did find that an on road route through Scotland necessitated a fair bit of main road.
david.dutton.1460

Post by david.dutton.1460 »

I did it Solo using the longer Sustrans version and had a fantastic time. Talked to all sorts of fascinating people along the way. https://davidslejogblog.wordpress.com/

I'm a trendy consumer. Just look at my SM-G970F using hovercraft full of eels.
The utility cyclist

Post by The utility cyclist »

Define 'lonely', what does that actually mean to you as an individual?

If you're riding purely for speed then there's not much time to get 'lonely', you're concentrating on reaching a point in x time, making sure you're fuelling up and stopping for 'comfort' breaks plus maybe a short rest.

if you're doing a 10 day for instance then you still have a destination to reach in 'good' time but you can spend more time taking photos along the route of places of interest, more time to stop and chat, more time to have a decent lunch in a pub/cafe or even a takeaway place, is there time to get 'lonely'?

If you're taking longer and shorter riding time/distance then potential places of interest (that you marked along the route beforehand) you can spend mire time actually exploring/seeing. Is there time to get lonely when you can other stuff to do aside from the cycling, is the daily ride length that long to get lonely?

I think one of the secrets of making solo riding easier, in fact any longer distance riding solo or not, is breaking down the day/ride into smaller segments, I think this applies if you're tootling and doing relatively shorter distances or even if you're hammering as hard as you possibly can go, but more so for the lesser experienced long ride cyclists who aren't used to day after day of riding and/or longer rides.

Even now I still sometimes find that the day has gone relatively quickly and don't even have any time to think about not being around others, obviously people are hugely different in terms of their ability to go about what they are doing and the need for company or not but still think there's so much to be doing/thinking about to get actually lonely on a long/er ride.
Upbringing/background also can have a significant influence on loneliness IMO.
Graham

Post by Graham »

OP was last active six minutes after posting this - two days ago.

I would hope for some feedback or something, before wasting any more precious life-force on responding.