Numbered Potholes

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
MikeF

Numbered Potholes

Post by MikeF »

I've not seen this before. Kent CC had marked and numbered all the potholes on How Green Lane near Edenbridge/Hever. Number 42 was about here
The highest I noticed was 80 plus and 1 was at the end of the road
IMG_0629.JPG

Anyone else come across this?
However some roads around here have recently been resurfaced in pots and are good surfaces for cycling.
"It takes a genius to spot the obvious" - my old physics master.
I don't peddle bikes.
Mick F
Spambuster

Re: Numbered Potholes

Post by Mick F »

They do it a lot in Devon and Cornwall.
Patches are numbered.

The surveyor person must decide where to re-do the road. They call it Surface Patching. Squares/rectangles are marked out and numbered from one end to the other.
Mick F. Cornwall
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

I believe the number 42 is the answer to life the Universe and everything so should you step into it you may reach total enlightenment instantly,which could be very advantageous to the common or garden human.
OTOH your head may just explode with the influx so I'd be careful if I were you :shock: :wink:
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Pebble

Post by Pebble »

may be you have discovered the answer to life the universe and everything.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

There appear to be ripples... ...like the effects of a.....
W H Auden
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Very like an inner tube, some people mend them dozens of times, but eventually one must thoyle a new one :?
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
tim-b

Post by tim-b »

Hi
We get double markings, someone marks them with yellow and months later they get marked in white...
Regards
tim-b
SmMarkings.JPG
~~~~¯\(ツ)/¯~~~~
MikeF

Post by MikeF »

Mick F wrote:They do it a lot in Devon and Cornwall.
Patches are numbered.

The surveyor person must decide where to re-do the road. They call it Surface Patching. Squares/rectangles are marked out and numbered from one end to the other.
Sounds as though the Kent surveyor has visited Devon or Cornwall to see how things are done. :wink:
80 plus patches on a short road is not far short of resurfacing the whole length of road, but I presume all the money is nearly used up. At least Kent has done some good recent repairs unlike some of the previous ones which were horrendous to cycle over.
I don't peddle bikes.
MikeF

Post by MikeF »

tim-b wrote:Hi
We get double markings, someone marks them with yellow and months later they get marked in white...
Regards
tim-bSmMarkings.JPG
Most in West Sussex are marked in white and left until the markings wear out. :roll:
I don't peddle bikes.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

reohn2 wrote:I believe the number 42 is the answer to life the Universe and everything so should you step into it you may reach total enlightenment instantly,which could be very advantageous to the common or garden human.
OTOH your head may just explode with the influx so I'd be careful if I were you :shock: :wink:

One might equally expect to experience the total perspective vortex.
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

[XAP]Bob wrote:
reohn2 wrote:I believe the number 42 is the answer to life the Universe and everything so should you step into it you may reach total enlightenment instantly,which could be very advantageous to the common or garden human.

One might equally expect to experience the total perspective vortex.

I'll bow to your superior nerdy wisdom(whatever it may mean) :wink:
W H Auden
arnsider

Post by arnsider »

Numbering of repair patches is standard throughout the UK.
The marking last as long as it takes to get the work done in house or put out to tender.
A view is taken on the traffic density expected and of course, most importantly the availability of funds.
Towards the end of the financial year lots of repairs are done to use up allocated funds for trhe current year.
If you observe some roads, there are a number of square hole repairs at regular intervals in the carriageway.
This is where the actually construction thickness over the years has been forgotten or maybe never even checked and trial holes are excavated down to the formation level to measure such.
Damage to road construction has been increasing year on due to heavier tractors used in our fields.
Some of the roads across the Somerset levels have deep wheel ruts where they are built on peat.
arnsider

Post by arnsider »

Just to add, there is no significance to the colour of markings. It just depends on the colour of the poaint in the survey stores!
Sometimes you will see stop taps, hydrants and covers marked up with blue and this shows up on aerial photos and drone footage.
gaz

Post by gaz »

They've started numbering the repair sections in my part of Kent too, apparently they're superstitious about it.
PH1.png
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
Grandad

Post by Grandad »

Near Staplehust , Kent in 2017

Lane is about a third of a mile long so one pothole every 10 yards